Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do you do it?

Question Why do you do it?

There appears to be a very large number of "Bitchy" locators. To those of you that come across as very unhappy with your jobs, let me ask this question.......... WHY? WHY DO YOU CONTINUE TO DO THIS JOB?

We take these jobs for the pay they offer.

We show up to work even after going through hell the day before.

If you have been here more than one dig season, you can't say you didn't know it was going to be like this.

There are things that could be done better by the companies we work for, but it is the same with any industry. We are the ones that come back day after day. We must love this job in some weird uncomfortable part of our soles. So why do we continue to bitch about it? If you are so unhappy, then it isn't for you..... look for something that makes you happy & stop making your lives miserable.

Years of Experience
    30+

There are things that could be done better by the companies we work for, but it is the same with any industry. We are the ones that come back day after day. We must love this job in some weird uncomfortable part of our soles. So why do we continue to bitch about it? If you are so unhappy, then it isn't for you..... look for something that makes you happy & stop making your lives miserable.
    [/QUOTE]

That is the way to put it. I think if folks are unhappy with their work don't complain, get another job. If you do not like WHO you work for find another job. Just quit complaining and move on.

I brought up issues that I had 3 years ago, e.g. staffing, area assignments. These fell on deaf ears. What the hell do I know? I managed a night shift crew for several years at one of my previous employers. Perhaps I wasn't convincing enough. The tech 3's that I worked with saw the same things I did. They had been around long enough to see that things were getting worse.

Anyway, I decided to stop complaining. When an opening came up to locate for a utility that does it in house, I jumped on the opportunity. There were several other locators working there that I had worked with before who were pushing for me to get hired. Thanks to them, I did. Am a lot happier and less stressed-out than I was a couple of months ago. Plus, I'm getting a dollar more an hour and will be getting 3 dollars more an hour by next season.

You need to realize that most of us like to have a place to bitch where it will not get us fired and where other people will pay some aattention to what we have to say. That said, I find as I get older I am able to tolerate more of the things I disagree with and use some of the management ineptitude to my advantage. In other words I feel I am mellowing out and what bitching I do here keeps me from opening my mouth so much at Meet sites, thus I am flying under the radar more these days
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

I have found that after almost 17 years it is easier to stay off the radar and just do your job the best that you can in this chaos!
    If you are not a Liberal by age 20, then you do not have a heart! If you are not a Conservative by age 40, then you do not have a brain!!!

Years of Experience

All in all this isnt a bad carrer if you are treated good and like what you do yes there is days I cant stand to come here like when I hafve a large scale project ans just one or two tickets on it but then there are days where I have more billed in four hours than most will all day just goes to show if it was fun we would pay them to do it the Rx for this is BEER and Wild Turkey

You know how it is, those of us who have been around awhile long for the good old days when we felt differently. Maybe that's just part of being a dinosaur in the industry...

I know I bitch because the industry has changed and it makes me sad. When I started, we didn't get paid then either but we felt good about our jobs & sometimes even the company we worked for.

Those who know my "secret" identity know what's gone on in my career over the last few months. Those people also know I could be a lot more jaded on this forum if I chose to be. I don't blast away on here just to blast.

I try to be critical when it is warranted, not just 'cause I want to.

Last but not least, I think we all know once you are in the industry, it is very hard to leave it. We are gluttons for punishment & come back for more, even after they don't want us anymore...
    Why does a round pizza come in a square box?

One can bitch about any job that they've had it in the past; any manager, corporate weinies, co-workers, etc. It's no different in this line of work. But what sets it apart is you don't have someone directly breathing down your neck, watching every move you make. You are, to a certain extent, your own manager. As long as you're doing your job, there should never be a problem.

I might bitch about clueless homeowners or idiot contractors, but I genuinely enjoy the contact. A skilled locator knows how to stroke his customers.

Years of Experience
    na

If one has chose a variety of unfulfilling paths in life, whats to say moving on would change the record???

Maybe its about wielding the machete or any tools down any path to make it work???

If it be locating so be it...

Anyone questioning or standing in that path should consider choosing there
    motives/weapons just as wisely... Lest draw back a nub...

Since its about survival anyway...

Nothing more nothing less...

Years of Experience

i love this job....i love to talk about my problems and i love to listen.......

Years of Experience
    na

I think a job to love would be one where your self esteem is nt compromised

on a daily basis...

But i can assure you after years of locating I certainly learned humility...

Kind of like boot camp that never ends in a way...

I only have one thing to say...... My wife got tired of me bitching about work long ago. All she has to mention is that one time of month that all 80 women she works with, and I don't have a leg to stand on. By the way, there is only one guy working there., I would be
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Years of managing people and eight years of running my own business has taught me two VERY important lessons.

When people bitch it because they care & are frustrated. A good manager will try to do something about the problem/issue if they reasonably can...to keep their employees "caring"

and secondly.

What really scares the crap out of me is when people who used to "bitch" about things stop...not because the problem was fixed, but because they are resigning themselves to the (apparent) fact management does not give a S**T.

That's the time to start worrying if you are an owner...

some days u the bug some days u the windshield, but a loc8r is the bug most the time. its good money and u kno good locaters are always needed.

Quote Originally Posted by underground quester View Post
    Years of managing people and eight years of running my own business has taught me two VERY important lessons.

When people bitch it because they care & are frustrated. A good manager will try to do something about the problem/issue if they reasonably can...to keep their employees "caring"

and secondly.

What really scares the crap out of me is when people who used to "bitch" about things stop...not because the problem was fixed, but because they are resigning themselves to the (apparent) fact management does not give a S**T.

That's the time to start worrying if you are an owner...
    You nailed it right on the head.Of course there are exceptions but usually very few.As far as this forum is concerned people are more inclined to vent about a bad day or situation then simply post about how much they like there job.If they are happy, no need to post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast