Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Who's stressed out?

Years of Experience
    17 years

Default Re: Who's stressed out?

I tried doing the locate first and then matching my work to the prints, usually I do fine that way but I learned that sometimes a fiber run will cross the property and there are no visible signs of it where you are at. If I wait till after the locate to check, then I have to get all my stuff back out and find the access point, take more pictures etc....
    I will usually get an idea of what I expect to see when I arrive, then find everything in my prints, the whole time keeping and eye out for clues of a line not on the prints. When done, I verify that everything on the prints is marked, notify the utility if there is a discrepancy between the print and what's actually out there and drive to my next job knowing that I wasted my time notifying the utility because the utility engineers never change the prints based on locator notifications.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    knowing that I wasted my time notifying the utility because the utility engineers never change the prints based on locator notifications.
    Ain't that the damn truth!!!
    I work directly for the utility and cannot get "known" discrepancies changed on the prints!!
    UULC likes this.

Years of Experience

I for one have been locating utilities for about 10 years. I did 2-3 years with USIC/Locating Inc. then 7 years on the private side of the world. I now mark all utilities for a major airport. I actually prefer locating the way that Mke does.

A good locator will be getting into all structures, chasing all utilities out anyways. He will then likely use the hook-ups as opportunities to boost the frequencies/power to search for unknown utilities. I generally do grid style sweeps on a higher frequency, some specific enduction techniques and passive sweeps as well to ensure I am finding anything conductive that may not of been identified previously.

One I have performed enough sweeps over the job site to feel good about my work I will take some time to study the map. More often then not I have identified everything on the map, and have found additional facilities that were not mapped prior. If however the map shows something I have not identified (more often then not non-conductive utilities) then I will spend more time proving/disproving what the map shows. Some of our maps have overlay information from the 1970s that is either blatantly wrong, or somewhat close to reality, it just depends.

I do not like to begin locating my job site with a predisposed idea of where utilities "should" be. Their is no reason I cant find them, and I feel like I stand no time advantage by looking before I start the job.

I am not anti-map we all know maps can be great, but as we say around here, if the maps were right you wouldn't need the locator.
    Mke likes this.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jdixon485 View Post
    I for one have been locating utilities for about 10 years. I did 2-3 years with USIC/Locating Inc. then 7 years on the private side of the world. I now mark all utilities for a major airport. I actually prefer locating the way that Mke does.

A good locator will be getting into all structures, chasing all utilities out anyways. He will then likely use the hook-ups as opportunities to boost the frequencies/power to search for unknown utilities. I generally do grid style sweeps on a higher frequency, some specific enduction techniques and passive sweeps as well to ensure I am finding anything conductive that may not of been identified previously.

One I have performed enough sweeps over the job site to feel good about my work I will take some time to study the map. More often then not I have identified everything on the map, and have found additional facilities that were not mapped prior. If however the map shows something I have not identified (more often then not non-conductive utilities) then I will spend more time proving/disproving what the map shows. Some of our maps have overlay information from the 1970s that is either blatantly wrong, or somewhat close to reality, it just depends.

I do not like to begin locating my job site with a predisposed idea of where utilities "should" be. Their is no reason I cant find them, and I feel like I stand no time advantage by looking before I start the job.

I am not anti-map we all know maps can be great, but as we say around here, if the maps were right you wouldn't need the locator.
    Maybe it's because we are in similar situations. Not sure if you cover more then just an airport, but we do, and I locate the same at our industrial properties and Marine facilities.

One of these days J, you should drop me a line and shoot the breeze.

I'm curious on how Sea-tac is to locate... I've only done locates there in a couple spots, and they were no where near the movement areas.

mke
    jdixon485 likes this.

Years of Experience

The new Chevy colorado's look good. Back up cam. All power
    My question is why does the cam face inward? Why not focus on the road?
    All the hires got the truck in Illinois. Some of them have their gps from premier (who we just bought out) covering the camera. it's way too big brother for me after 10 years.
    I think the new GPS have the ability to sense if the driver is in the truck or out.
    It will get to be, we have to send in the data of the GPS in our receivers

Years of Experience

Mke,
    It sounds like we work in some very similar settings. I as well have to cover all of the maritime properties in Seattle as well as varying real-estate properties that the Port owns (Industrial, Commercial). It would be nice to get perspective from someone else with a very similar job setting!

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jdixon485 View Post
    Mke,
    It sounds like we work in some very similar settings. I as well have to cover all of the maritime properties in Seattle as well as varying real-estate properties that the Port owns (Industrial, Commercial). It would be nice to get perspective from someone else with a very similar job setting!
    SeaTac and PDX are ran similar, it's not surprising there is a lot of the same issues. I'm always available, you can PM me and I'll toss you my E-mail.

mke

Years of Experience

headcipher likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12