Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: who is your worst contractor?

Years of Experience

Default Re: who is your worst contractor?

womack was the worst!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    99% of my AT&T contractors are stellar. I've dealt with only one exception - Dustin, the owner of his own excavation company.

My first contact with Dustin was in 2010. He called in three tickets for three separate AT&T jobs the same day. Two tickets covered a 2 mile stretch of 2-lane roadway in the country. One ticket for 3,000 feet of a utility cluttered 4-lane for a road improvement telephone cable consolidation/move.

I called Dustin to get a copy of the detailed work orders (as-builts) for each of the three jobs. I no more than stated who I was and what I wanted when he said, "All you SM&P guys are nothing more than a pain in my ass! Life for me would be so much better if I didn't have to deal with you people! I don't have the time to go chasing you down to give you as-builts. I know how to read prints and I know how to call in locates. Just mark out the tickets like I called them in. I need everything marked because I'll be out there tomorrow and I'm digging; with or without paint."

I said, "Dustin, we've never met! You're just kidding - Right?"

Dustin said, "No! I'm just a small contractor trying to get in good with AT&T. You SM&P guys show up when you feel like it and most of your marks are wrong when you do show up. You people just slow me down."

I said, "Dustin, I need those as-builts because I need to know what is abandoned and what is live long after you leave this job."

Dustin said, "Text me your email address and I'll send you a copy of the prints when I get a chance......"

That's been over a year and a half ago and I'm still waiting for his email.

Long story short, I rarely talk to Dustin. When I do, it's a very short conversation.

Anytime I get a Dustin job, I bypass Dustin and get the AT&T as-builts directly from the AT&T first line in charge of Construction. I always let the first line know what I think about Dustin and how he operates when I pick-up the prints.

Dustin calls in 3,000 feet of locates, both sides of the street, for 1,000 feet of cable move on one side of the street.

Dustin calls in 2 miles of locates for two culvert jobs.

Dustin takes 7 weeks to do a 7 day job.

Dustin puts all cables in @ 3 feet deep, even if the as-builts state 'place at 7 feet deep' (got an accurately marked 50 pair and 1200 pair cut because Dustin can't read as-builts).

Dustin calls in 1,000 feet of established residential rear easement locates for a front easement job; as per the AT&T as-builts. Dustin calls in a "Bad Locate" ticket when his crew gets there to drill in the rear and all the marks are in the front!

Dustin = AMATEUR!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Dustin= Extra marks

Years of Experience

Hmm, worst contractors I've had the pleasure of dealing with.....

North Houston Pole Line, specifically Phillip Tamborello. The guys asks for multiple addresses or blocks and blocks worth of locates for fault repairs. He also calls in for thousands of feet worth of locates to install or replace one pole. Never answers his phone and is never willing to work with anyone.

Electric Conduit - This outfit seems to go out of their way to make our jobs tougher. They have one person (one person!) who calls in their ridiculous, often very detailed dig extents and then never answers her phone or responds to email, nor does she provide a site contact on any of her tickets. Regardless of how thorough you mark an EC job everyone typically expects to get at least one second request emergency while EC is actively working on it.....when they actually show up.
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

Years of Experience

Oh yes, Electric Conduit. Let me guess.....to confirm what everyone previously marked for them?

Years of Experience

I've always thought it would be a good idea to have an award program for the excavator that does a stellar job during the year's dig season....... The Golden Shovel Award if you will. Or, to steal an idea from USIC, the Golden Sharpshooter Award given to the outstanding equipment operator/laborer/on-site foreman of the year. All veteran locators know who would be the best candidates in their area for the recognition.

There are soooooooo many equipment operators, laborers and on-site foremans that I have met over the years that actually went out of their way to protect my back-side. I can say that many excavators I have located for have become my friends. It's all about mutual respect, doing my very best to always throw accurate paint and keeping an open line of communication that has worked well for me.

I realize a Golden Shovel Award is just a pipe dream. It would be nice if I felt led to send recognition to an excavator parent company about a particular worker/foreman that made my locating job easier, I could submit a request to my employer to send the Golden Shovel Award letter/email to the deserving recipient.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience
    5+
    Blog Entries

I'm with ya there Wing!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12