Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who is your worst contractor?

Years of Experience
    too many

Default who is your worst contractor?

who is the one contractor that you'd love to choke the sh.. out of ?
    right now in north Texas its got to be TRI CON!!!

Years of Experience

Default Re: who is your worst contractor?

different one every day

I know you weren't here then but there was a company called Site Concrete that damaged so much stuff that SBC, now AT&T, actually got a restraining order placed against them. We had to notify our Sups whenever we got a ticket for them and we took pictures with disposable cameras of our marks ( this was years b/4 the pre-digs we now take).
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

A local tree company that insists on calling in the entire property no matter what they are doing. Homeowners are complaining about locators being in the back yard when all that is being done is the removal of a small dead tree in the front yard (for example)
    "Change does not always equal progress."

All homeowners.

Any Boring crew who doesnt know how to use a shovel and hole diggers

the water and sewer utilities! cant they just call in one side of the street and not both.

Years of Experience

My bad experience was not with a contractor as much as it was with a contractor's on-site pos foreman - Sean B.

I had a 2.5 mile road widening project on a major artery that was a cluttered maize of all utilities; AT&T, CATV, gas, electricity, water and sewer. I learned quickly that Sean respected no utilities.

My initial meeting with Sean did not go well. Sean wanted both sides of the road marked the entire 2.5 miles immediately and kept marked with flags. The reason - when all his other crews got caught up elsewhere in the Kansas City area, he was going to bring them to this road project to keep them working. He wanted to be able to stick these floating crews anywhere along the road at a moment's notice and be able to have marks ready to go. And he wasn't kidding! I always had two crews digging every day with many days of five crews digging a various spots along my 2.5 miles! This project sucked............

Before Sean even started the project, I marked the nastiest 3/4 of the project before I went on a NASCAR road trip to Los Angeles. It was 3 am Los Angeles time when Sean called me PISSED on my work phone and said he was digging in 3 hours where there were no marks! My roommate was pissed for getting his sleep ruined @ 3 am! Sean was pissed because there were no marks where he wanted to start! My buddy in Kansas City, taking care of my area, was pissed by my early morning phone call asking him to rush out and finish what I hadn't completed.............

AT&T was in the final stages of consolidating their lines into a new conduit package with laterals feeding all the sub-divisions along the way when Sean started to lay in new water and storm sewer trunks. I had to keep marks on the old plat along with the new stuff not yet lit. No one on Sean's crew knew what a shovel was; let alone knew how to use one for potholing. F-king drove me NUTZ!

Sean's crews pulled the new AT&T conduit package out of the ground twice and crushed the conduits once; cut in half two 3-phase electric primaries and cut the same electric secondary feeding a U-Verse fiber cabinet 3 times; gouged a 6" plastic gas main with a backhoe bucket tooth; zig-zagged a 4" plastic gas main; scratched the living shit out of a 6" steel gas main; eleven - count them - eleven CATV 750 trunk lines and a $42,000 Time Warner fiber - all cut in half! F-king drove me even more NUTZ! All were accurately marked with flags!

All these damages could have been prevented if Sean practiced potholing. After each cut, Sean said, "This cut ain't MY fault. That line should have been deeper. They knew I was putting a new road in here......"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post

My bad experience was not with a contractor as much as it was with a contractor's on-site pos foreman - Sean B.

I had a 2.5 mile road widening project on a major artery that was a cluttered maize of all utilities; AT&T, CATV, gas, electricity, water and sewer. I learned quickly that Sean respected no utilities.

My initial meeting with Sean did not go well. Sean wanted both sides of the road marked the entire 2.5 miles immediately and kept marked with flags. The reason - when all his other crews got caught up elsewhere in the Kansas City area, he was going to bring them to this road project to keep them working. He wanted to be able to stick these floating crews anywhere along the road at a moment's notice and be able to have marks ready to go. And he wasn't kidding! I always had two crews digging every day with many days of five crews digging a various spots along my 2.5 miles! This project sucked............

Before Sean even started the project, I marked the nastiest 3/4 of the project before I went on a NASCAR road trip to Los Angeles. It was 3 am Los Angeles time when Sean called me PISSED on my work phone and said he was digging in 3 hours where there were no marks! My roommate was pissed for getting his sleep ruined @ 3 am! Sean was pissed because there were no marks where he wanted to start! My buddy in Kansas City, taking care of my area, was pissed by my early morning phone call asking him to rush out and finish what I hadn't completed.............

AT&T was in the final stages of consolidating their lines into a new conduit package with laterals feeding all the sub-divisions along the way when Sean started to lay in new water and storm sewer trunks. I had to keep marks on the old plat along with the new stuff not yet lit. No one on Sean's crew knew what a shovel was; let alone knew how to use one for potholing. F-king drove me NUTZ!

Sean's crews pulled the new AT&T conduit package out of the ground twice and crushed the conduits once; cut in half two 3-phase electric primaries and cut the same electric secondary feeding a U-Verse fiber cabinet 3 times; gouged a 6" plastic gas main with a backhoe bucket tooth; zig-zagged a 4" plastic gas main; scratched the living shit out of a 6" steel gas main; eleven - count them - eleven CATV 750 trunk lines and a $42,000 Time Warner fiber - all cut in half! F-king drove me even more NUTZ! All were accurately marked with flags!

All these damages could have been prevented if Sean practiced potholing. After each cut, Sean said, "This cut ain't MY fault. That line should have been deeper. They knew I was putting a new road in here......"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have to tell you Wing, i believe you have missed your calling brother. Very, very well written and it sounds so much like some of my experiences that all I would have to do is subsitute names! Sometimes you feel like these guys don't eat breakfast like the rest of ue, they just cook up some crank and get up on the big hoss and start- a - diggin'....!

Years of Experience

My vote would go with the ATT lackey, Electric Conduit. But that is just this week mind you.

Years of Experience
    5+
    Blog Entries

wing, that sounds like a boring crew I had... with one exception.... they would pot hole somethings... and not others...but it didn't matter anyway... nor did doing walk alongs with them to warn them of things... they hit a 60 strand, and had the nerve to try to scuff out my marks, pull my flags, and toss them in the bushes.... then cried... "nothing was marked..." then I pulled out my pictures, and the damage investigator noticed THEIR offsets on the street as well... then they decide to jump ahead of the marking agreement..... and I had not completed locating everything up there yet... I had an escalated 36 strand DI-electric without a trace wire, and a 24 strand fiber which was just installed 3 weeks before to be located, and I warned them that I wasn't finished. I let them know I was waiting on ATT to come out and rod the interconnect duct... and they said screw it ... they trenched past that area near the buzz site... then like idiots shot right beside my 600 pr at 3' deep... they were literally 6" off my marks and dove into the 400 section of the cable... that section just so happened to be taken my LoJack... the 60 strand fiber supplied Kaiser Permanente's computer network... and was down for 2 days....then they go up the way and cut a 36 strand in half with a shovel... then they decide to jump back and start shooting their road crossings and hit a 72 strand.... everything was marked and documented... but for some reason I was still considered to the the bad guy....

every landscaper that has yet to realize that "locate entire property" includes the front and rear easements even though all these idiots are doing is hand digging a couple of hastas next to the house or edging the f@&%ing landscape beds.

None. I have the best luck where I'm at. Everyone works with me and I very very rarely get an emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by Danger View Post
    wing, that sounds like a boring crew I had... with one exception.... they would pot hole somethings... and not others...but it didn't matter anyway... nor did doing walk alongs with them to warn them of things... they hit a 60 strand, and had the nerve to try to scuff out my marks, pull my flags, and toss them in the bushes.... then cried... "nothing was marked..." then I pulled out my pictures, and the damage investigator noticed THEIR offsets on the street as well... then they decide to jump ahead of the marking agreement..... and I had not completed locating everything up there yet... I had an escalated 36 strand DI-electric without a trace wire, and a 24 strand fiber which was just installed 3 weeks before to be located, and I warned them that I wasn't finished. I let them know I was waiting on ATT to come out and rod the interconnect duct... and they said screw it ... they trenched past that area near the buzz site... then like idiots shot right beside my 600 pr at 3' deep... they were literally 6" off my marks and dove into the 400 section of the cable... that section just so happened to be taken my LoJack... the 60 strand fiber supplied Kaiser Permanente's computer network... and was down for 2 days....then they go up the way and cut a 36 strand in half with a shovel... then they decide to jump back and start shooting their road crossings and hit a 72 strand.... everything was marked and documented... but for some reason I was still considered to the the bad guy....
    That's because we are the bad guys. Before we show up there's nothing in their way, after we leave they have all these dang utilities in their way that shouldn't be there. Somehow someway it's our fault that the utilities and cities planned and installed them there, it's also our fault they're not backhoe proof.
    Life's a garden, dig it! - Joe Dirt

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    My vote would go with the ATT lackey, Electric Conduit. But that is just this week mind you.
    99% of my AT&T contractors are stellar. I've dealt with only one exception - Dustin, the owner of his own excavation company.

My first contact with Dustin was in 2010. He called in three tickets for three separate AT&T jobs the same day. Two tickets covered a 2 mile stretch of 2-lane roadway in the country. One ticket for 3,000 feet of a utility cluttered 4-lane for a road improvement telephone cable consolidation/move.

I called Dustin to get a copy of the detailed work orders (as-builts) for each of the three jobs. I no more than stated who I was and what I wanted when he said, "All you SM&P guys are nothing more than a pain in my ass! Life for me would be so much better if I didn't have to deal with you people! I don't have the time to go chasing you down to give you as-builts. I know how to read prints and I know how to call in locates. Just mark out the tickets like I called them in. I need everything marked because I'll be out there tomorrow and I'm digging; with or without paint."

I said, "Dustin, we've never met! You're just kidding - Right?"

Dustin said, "No! I'm just a small contractor trying to get in good with AT&T. You SM&P guys show up when you feel like it and most of your marks are wrong when you do show up. You people just slow me down."

I said, "Dustin, I need those as-builts because I need to know what is abandoned and what is live long after you leave this job."

Dustin said, "Text me your email address and I'll send you a copy of the prints when I get a chance......"

That's been over a year and a half ago and I'm still waiting for his email.

Long story short, I rarely talk to Dustin. When I do, it's a very short conversation.

Anytime I get a Dustin job, I bypass Dustin and get the AT&T as-builts directly from the AT&T first line in charge of Construction. I always let the first line know what I think about Dustin and how he operates when I pick-up the prints.

Dustin calls in 3,000 feet of locates, both sides of the street, for 1,000 feet of cable move on one side of the street.

Dustin calls in 2 miles of locates for two culvert jobs.

Dustin takes 7 weeks to do a 7 day job.

Dustin puts all cables in @ 3 feet deep, even if the as-builts state 'place at 7 feet deep' (got an accurately marked 50 pair and 1200 pair cut because Dustin can't read as-builts).

Dustin calls in 1,000 feet of established residential rear easement locates for a front easement job; as per the AT&T as-builts. Dustin calls in a "Bad Locate" ticket when his crew gets there to drill in the rear and all the marks are in the front!

Dustin = AMATEUR!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast