Thread: Where do you guys dump your empty spray paint cans

Question Where do you guys dump your empty spray paint cans

Where do you guys dump your empty spray paint cans The company i work for dosent supply a dumpster. They tell us to dump it in a contruction site dumpster ,so i did and was caught by G.C ,it wasnt good.
    LIVE, Learn, Teach

Default Re: Where do you guys dump your empty spray paint cans

Didn't the G.C. or a sub request your appearance at the site? That puts you-us-in the same category of his subs. Tell him that it's a whole lot better to put it in a dumpster than leave it beside the dumpster where some kids can get to them and paint up whatever he's building!
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by radiotechfios View Post
    Where do you guys dump your empty spray paint cans The company i work for dosent supply a dumpster. They tell us to dump it in a contruction site dumpster ,so i did and was caught by G.C ,it wasnt good.
    I throw them into the work site dumpsters but not a whole case, just one at a time as I use them. This has never gotten a complaint.

In one of my old areas there was an apartment complex where I would have a ticket at least once a week.

There was a one of our firm's truck parked there all day long with no one in it. Turns out it was a locator with a different foreman and worked an area about 35 miles away. All they were doing was sitting in their apartment all day faking their tickets. I saved up the old empty cans and filled up the back of that truck. Another locator from another office saw me doing it and asked why, I told him and he began dumping his paint there also.

What was that guy going to do, complain?

Any jobsite dumpster your either there for the gc or sub which in any way your a sub
    "BOHICA" Bend Over Here It Comes Agin

Years of Experience

We had a garbage collection company, who we had a dumpster with at our satellite office, claim a truck motor was destroyed while crushing all the cans in the dumpster! Claimed the paint fumes were sucked into the air filter. Forgot what came of that, but our supervisor told us about it and asked us to make sure we emptied out each can as best we could. Sup was a good friend of mine and didn't make it up, I actually heard him on the phone with the garbage company working it out. This was at UtiliQuest.

Any jobsite dumpster that i have a ticket on, early am. at lunch or at the end of the day, when no one is there ........or on the back of one of the newbes trucks and or tool box... HE HE

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

we have a Recycling area where we have to puncture and drain each can, then put them in a bin for recyling, the contents of each can go into a 55 gal drum that is then classed as hazardest waste, and disposed of accordingly

The trick is, you have to toss cans first thing in the morning, or last thing at night, General contractors can be a prick some times. We were blamed for dumping one case into a dumpster at a facility we owned, and it wasn't even us, it was a contract survey company, but we still had to fetch the cases out and dispose of them properly.

mke

Years of Experience

i throw them everywhere sometimes i just leave 5 or 6 cases on the side of the road
    "What Are You Doin!?!? GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!"
    you have entered a restricted area

A few of the sups around my area don't like taking back empties. They may not know or remember that in 2004, we were told by our DM that we to return all empties to the office as someone had complained about our dumping empties into jobsite dumpsters.
    I also know we had to change garbage companies due to one catching fire (they said it was due to the gas inside the cans.)
    I have tossed a few into jobsite containers before, but I try to puncture them. I punctured one last year and tossed it. I thought all the gas was out, but mid-air, it had a pocket of gas that spewed out more paint..... ooops....

Years of Experience

no comment!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

I always keep empty cases in my truck until I get home.
    They then go out with my household trash.
    What's another word for thesaurus?