Thread: What's the worst damage you had without getting canned?

Default What's the worst damage you had without getting canned?

Want to hear from others what would be there worst damage ever! Mine was a power cable coming out of a sub-station and blowing some exspensive equipment up. Never did hear the finally total of the bill but talk was a quarter million. Only reason I keep my job was contractor and many peeps from the power company insist i keep my job. Anyways, like to hear other storys

Years of Experience

Default Re: What's the worst damage you had without getting canned?

fiber for centry tell damage in the lafayette area ......
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Two 900 pr phone cables getting whacked about 6 feet from each other. Not marked because the idiot contractor didn't inform me that he was moving from one area to the other. And, of course, I didn't have a signed meet sheet. So, guess I was the bigger idiot.

Years of Experience

A 1500 pair pulp cable with 123 pairs notched out of it by a 4" core sample drill rig. Guy told me he was working 5' behind the curb. I had a 8" gas main and 2 cables marked close to the curb, so he backed up 25' and nailed the unmarked pulp! No meet sheet.

A 12" steel gas main I marked like it was a 2". I was marking the main lining up my old flags and half-assed the 90 degree turn. The contractor was using a 4' diameter auger to set a steel power pole. He dinged it only hard enough to dimple the side of the main at the turn. The gas company welded a pumpkin around the ding. $3,000 at-fault.

Both of these happened 7 years ago. I've learned from my mistakes!

2" steel medium pressure main. Had to do a live bypass or would have lost about 2500 people. cost about 20k.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

I'm not about to answer this and jinx myself!
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

The worst damage I ever saw was the bottoms of two conduit packages which consided of 3 pulp 2700 pairs and 6 fibers.

The contractor was crossing the road with a gas main. There was an old steel service right where they were crossing. They decided to dig up the old steel service on both ends and pull a back reamer through with the gas main behind it. The old gas service was resting on the bottom of the dual conduit packages. When they pulled the back reamer through they tore through the bottoms of the conduit packages. AT&T spent over two weeks digging up and repairing all the damaged lines.

Years of Experience

Worst I got was the SAME primary hit on opp sides of a bld about 3 days apart Combination of inexp in the area, trusting the prints, misunderstanding the (non-marked) work area and RUSHING! Guess the 3-4 abd lines that were dug up in the 2 weeks before just had me a bit flustered.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    The worst damage I ever saw was the bottoms of two conduit packages cut that has 3 pulp 2700 pairs and 6 fibers.
    The most memorable for me was a SBC contractor that cut an accurately marked High-profile gas main on a Friday, the day after the 4th of July. The gas company's only available crew with a big enough hoe for the task at hand was hours away from arrival to address the blowing gas. The gas crew on sight asked the offending contractor if they would open a repair pit with their track hoe. During the pit excavation, the track hoe rubbed the power lines directly above the cut gas main. Sparks flew and the wire hit the ground. The resulting sparks lit up the gas and the operator abandoned the hoe! As the fire blew back from the cut main, the hoe was over the flames and was completely engulfed. Above the main in the flames was an aerial fiber optic splice case. Interestingly, the fiber service was not interrupted until the burned fiber lines and crispy splice case was replaced! The flame roared for hours until gas and overhead power lines were finally shut off. Many gas valves had to be closed and regulator stations reset for the shut down. The traffic was rerouted because of the downed power line and the flames. A drive-in restaurant was next to the action and the manager was being an ass; constantly grinding on the gas company & electric company guys to hurry up because the cut off traffic is costing him money!

My worst damage to date (Hit 6 months about a week ago) was a 100 pair getting smoked on a fence job that I never even located, the ticket turned red and it was just a matter of my mis-managing my ticketload and not calling people and keeping tabs on my tickets...This happened about a month and a half when I was on my own.

I'm glad it was just a residential 100 pr that I learned my lesson the hard way on. It could have been worse.

(To those unfamiliar with what I'm speaking of when I say 'ticket turned red' we use a program called Q Manager...Tickets stay white and blue if they are not near due date, when they get around 12 hrs near due date they go yellow, then grey about 15 min before the work start time, then they turn red after the work start time)

(knocks on wood)
    "The truth is rarely pure and never simple"-Oscar Wilde

The worst damage i ever saw(not mine) was a 6" gas main, a catv fiber and trunk, and 2 phone fibers with a 2400 pair. The stop light people said they 4 foot deep did not see nothing and put their auger in the ground a 4 foot wide and 20 ft deep hole. what a bad day for someone.
    SOME DAYS U R THE BUG OTHER DAYS U R THE WINDSHIELD!!

I know a guy who roasted about 200 grand worth of shit (in one ticket) and could've stayed,but he left. Real good guy too, no personal demons, wife/kid, etc.
    "The truth is rarely pure and never simple"-Oscar Wilde