Thread: What's the point?

Default What's the point?

Anyone know a good reason to bury fiber without sheath/armor besides cost? It seems pointless. Tracer eventually rotts or develops bad spots.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What's the point?

Short term cost is all I could come up with.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

It's Centurylink so im not suprised. Ma Bell/USWest used to use dual sheath pirelli.

Years of Experience

Maybe Embarg had alot of it laying around???? or even Centry-tel??? I would agree with Steve..money has got to be the issue!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Locating both sides of the road, so the chicken can bore underneath it...
    Years of Experience
    too many

Because they're being cheap. They are a phone company, what more could you expect?

I have fibers all over my area for the local telco, and they have lots of test points that are supposed to serve as access point for locates, except that the wires that come up into the top of the marker stick aren't connected to anything, and all of the vaults on the older stuff are buried 2-3 feet deep.

The local CATV companies are just as bad too, no markers, no sticks, no visible splices/access points...How in the hell are we supposed to locate stuff like this? I was once told by my supervisor that "Our customers don't care about the why's and how's of locating, they just expect us to mark it". I replied with "Well, how in the hell can we locate something that either has no access points or no metal sheath in it and no tracer wires?". My sup just sat there staring at me with a very dumb look on his face...go figure...
    "No, installing your fence is NOT an emergency"...

- or -

"It's call BEFORE you dig, not AFTER you've hit something."

Yes, my avatar does describe my attitude towards many others...

They special ordered the fiber. The techs weren't even gonna ground the tracer or the sheath on the existing fiber that continued. They slapped on the splices on each end and left it. The contractor and i noticed it so hopefully they do the smart thing and come back and ground everything on the splices

Years of Experience
    17 years

They could have ordered the wrong kind and just went with it.
    Last edited by daman1; June 13th, 2012 at 05:11 PM.

Nope. The job was delayed because they had to wait for it to be delivered

One of our telephone companies ran hundreds of miles of new fiber and used locateable mule tape as the tracer wire. Not sure hown long it will last but maybe it was cheaper than using locateable fiber. Another company has started using locateable innerduct now.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

They use what ever fiber they have on the truck, or in the shop, or whatever is cheaper to order. Usually it is a contractor that puts it in the ground. They don't care if it is locate-able because they won't ever have to locate it. I have run across several miles of buried fiber that was meant to go over-head on poles. In my experience, the excavator could care less. How many times have you showed up to a work site and the backhoe is already deep in a hole. When I ask the guy operating the thing what the heck he is doing, I always get the same response, "I don't worry about you guys, I'll find everything with this thing. My backhoe is the best locator out there...if its buried I'll find it."
    Sure there are some good ones out there, and this is not always the case. But more times then not Excavators are lazy, impatient and unconcerned about anything other than what they are doing, at the time they are doing it.
    Otherwise, they would pothole when they should, repair or replace broken tracer wire when they are done with a repair, wait for the area to be excavated to be fully marked out before they commence, posses a valid locate request when excavating, or any number of the things that would constitute excavating with concern for what may be in the ground.

When I was in training, my mentor once told me "Don't try to figure out why, just mark it if your can, call if you can't, and get on with the rest of your life. Otherwise, it will drive you crazy."

Years of Experience

I still haven't figured out the reason for the sheathless fibers. It seems to cause way to many problems and be 10 times as expensive as sheathed fiber. The tracer wires never last so the expense of having people come out to blow new tracer wires in ever few years has to cost more than just buying the sheathed fiber to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by PokerAdam View Post
    My backhoe is the best locator out there...if its buried I'll find it."

Love that quote about the backhoe being the best utility locator out there!! So true.

I'm still waiting for some x-ray vision glasses to be invented for utility locating, though. Whenever I had a problem locate in the past, I used to have a mentor that said "Hey, at the end of the day, none of us have x-ray vision. We have to rely on our equipment."

Years of Experience

X-ray vision would put us out of work - lol. Careful what you wish for! Alot of fiber companies may not put sheath with they're facility, but they will bury it with technology that allows for only in-house locators to activate a specific frequency and find it. However, clearly if you are locating it you are likely the guy responsible - so the only explanation is Cost. Cant look for another explanation that doesn't exist after all? Ive often thought to myself that they should make it mandatory to bury utilities in a "locatable" fashion. (Extrinsically high dollar damage ones!) *Thinks back to a day I drove to a site for an emergency locate, walked up to a 21yr old guy that seemed very nervous, looked in the hole and saw he dug up a fiber line along side some railroad tracks - rule of thumb - theirs always fiber near RR tracks! - Needless to say it was the local emergency line he knocked out and lost his job over it) Never had a one-call ticket called in or anything! What is the cost? A million dollars a minute? crazy