Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: what's the most complex locate you've ever done?

Default what's the most complex locate you've ever done?

Just curious. I know some of you guys have pictures of all your hardcore locates. Today I had a bitch of a locate (Coursey @ Sherwood in Baton Rouge, 1000 ft in each direction, about 30 lines total, Cable TV in 3 directions on each side of the road, 4 duct runs, multiple high capacity phonelines in each direction, a KMC fiber that runs three directions, a Cox fiber that runs in three directions, not to mention about 20 service lines to various establishments. I clocked in at 5:42, and had it wrapped up around 11:30ish, then ran high profile tickets until dusk, (5:15ish)

Bottom of my feet hurt like hell. I must have walked about twelve miles today.

But it's all good, only thing I can do is take it on the chin with a smile :-)

Let's hear about some cluster****s you guys and gals have dealt with.

I'll post some photos of my Sherwood @ Coursey locate later on, when I have some spare time. I'm going to bed here shortly (Around 8:45-9pm) we lost one of our key guys in Baton Rouge, so our areas are really spread out now...It's all good though, I say. Better to have tons of work to do, and experience to gain, than be stuck at 40 hours a week with no tickets, and/or getting laid off like some of those poor Illinois folk.

Yahoo you better post in here

Night guys. I'm about to drink my 2nd beer, eat a bowl of chili and goto sleep. My feet feel like hell. I'll just eat 4 asparin tommarrow morning, make my coffee triple strength, and do it all over again. Gotta love it!!!
    "The truth is rarely pure and never simple"-Oscar Wilde

Years of Experience

Default Re: what's the most complex locate you've ever done?

I know I got a BIG one coming, but don't know when, rebuilding, re-orging and re-routeing a 3 layer interchange and about 1/2-1 miles of highway right thru the center of town!!!

Years of Experience

i have so many to remember...don't know where to start dude.... the worst has to be in front of the lafayette general back in 2002.......lus water ...everywhere..lus power everywhere and the street lights too....lus fiber one in adn one out..... lus sewer force main and all the regular sewer gravity flows....tlg gas high pressure main plus the reg. main and svc to the hosp.... then all the att then bellsouth fibers coppers and svc's only two going to temp buildings for construction....then cox cable mains fibers and svc's going to the hospital.....ctel fiber then kmc one in and one out.......took me and the guy i was trainning that day about 3 hours or so to do......he quit the following week!!!! i really think when i left that day that i had indeed missed something.....i lost sleep that night......................................yeah right????!!!?!?!!??!?
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

This was just a piece of the project, the worst part. It was a 16 blocks up Center St. And yes, there are eight direct burried cables going from the man hole to the splice pit.

Years of Experience

Looks like the prints I get to work off of! lol
    I have NO idea what I am looking @, but I assume that's power?

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by UtahLocator View Post
    This was just a piece of the project, the worst part. It was 16 blocks up Center St. And yes, there are eight direct buried cables going from the man hole to the splice pit.
    UtahLocator - Welcome Aboard to theVine!

Hands Down - You win! Or loose - depending on how you look at it!

My most challenging intersection in my area takes me shy of 12 hours to locate just the south 100' radius of the street.........

A wise 17 year locating veteran once told me, "There is no such thing as a shitty locate ticket........ Some tickets need more paint than others!"

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix827 View Post
    Looks like the prints I get to work off of! lol
    I have NO idea what I am looking @, but I assume that's power?
    Most of it is phone, there is like 2 power lines, and 1 XO/ELI fiber line. And in all honesty, this locate wasn't actually as bad as the sketch looks. I've had much more difficult locates, but they didn't look as bad on my sketch or the prints.

@Utah
    You mean thats a copy of what you would hand the contractor/etc for the locate ?

If i have like 6 ducts from a to b.. ill draw one line and print "6 duct" on it.

That drawing looked pretty confusing for an excavator operator to look at.

Heck, it looked pretty confusing for a cable splicer to look at.. lol
    (May you live in interesting times)

Years of Experience

You guys sketch it out for the excav? Or is that for your records?

Ya, theres a large space on the meet sheet where we draw up the locate for the customer. Nothing too fancy.. just showing relevant street(s), buildings, sidewalk, maybe a pole.. and where the lines are. Should probably have a disclaimer on it (not to scale, functions as a reminder only.. actual locate is paint on the ground.. ).. something like that. I think it helps the customer 'connect the dots' if something gets partially covered or etc.. preventing a digup. Hasnt been testing in court yet though, afaik.. lol
    (May you live in interesting times)

All I can say is that my worst intersection takes me approximately 10 hours to stake. I can't get into it too much, I like my anonymity the way it is.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave72 View Post
    @Utah
    You mean thats a copy of what you would hand the contractor/etc for the locate ?

If i have like 6 ducts from a to b.. ill draw one line and print "6 duct" on it.

That drawing looked pretty confusing for an excavator operator to look at.

Heck, it looked pretty confusing for a cable splicer to look at.. lol
    We leave a copy on site and keep one for our records. We just draw it up like the paint shows on the ground. I don't want to put less lines on the sketch than are on the ground, because that could confuse the contractor more.

Not the most complex by any means, but a serious pain for a 50 foot radius with only one ultilty to locate..

pics1-006.jpg

pics1-008.jpg

pics1-017.jpg

pics1-009.jpg

Years of Experience

bixbix that looks like it would suck to locate. I hate locating electric when there are multiple structures real close to each other. I know you can take as much back from the out ends but the stuff that goes from structure to structure is just about impossible to gget because of all the grounding.

Yep sucked bad...3+ hours for 50 foot electric...The big three of locate methods to confirm accuracy (DC, Passive, Induction) with 75R, 4000, and 810...DC just gave me alot BS ghost tones in the middle. Few were correct. 60 with Subsite 75 and induction seemed to work best @ this location. Like you said all the common grounding screwed up the DC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast