Thread: What's the lowest you've ever sank in mud?

Default What's the lowest you've ever sank in mud?

okay, so today I was in the 'hood, doing a 6 yard backyard locate in baker, which I had to drive 2 hours to get to since Gustav pretty much ****ed all the red lights everywhere, resulting in 4way stops everywhere and quarter mile long bumper to bumper type stuff. Mix in people in gas lines, and it's a problem getting places..

so, I hop a fence and ...plop...both of my feet sunk instantaneously, up to four or five inches above my knees. I was wearing knee high galoshes (Gustav has everything wet...) and cargo shorts...This 'hole' i jumped in literally had me up to my waist almost in mud....so, using my paint rifle and my receiver, I pull myself outta the hole...almost losing both boots in the process...like I had to pull myself outta that hole with all my strength because I was continously sinking, and it was about a foot above my knees before I finally got out the hole....all over my shorts, etc. Get on my knees realizing what just happened, and it was only like 9:45 am, so what was on my mind , aside from getting back into my spiffy clean worktruck (sups here been on my ass about keeping my truck clean, I get no damages and work pretty hard and keep my camera green lighted when working in my own area but I guess it's a good thing if they're only on my ass about a dirty truck. Anyway....so around like noonish the mud had caked and the hairs on my legs were pulling out with each step i was taking, it was pretty brutal.

Any of you have any funny quicksand style stories like that?
    "The truth is rarely pure and never simple"-Oscar Wilde

Default Re: What's the lowest you've ever sank in mud?

Worst one i had was a new construction site step in 2 some mus thinking oh not deep WRONG sank 2 me knees.
    SOME DAYS U R THE BUG OTHER DAYS U R THE WINDSHIELD!!

Does falling in a hole up to my head count? Jumping a creek and landed on the otherside to above my knees.

Years of Experience

hey scap great to hear from you again!!!! stepped out on to some grass in a ditch so i thought.... and sank knee deep in a hole of very cold water...... the grass was floating by the way......learned a lesson that day....
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

I've needed to be pulled out of construction sights in my pickup so many times that I carry 2 extra long tow straps in my camper shell. I use cheap directional mud & snow tires all year long. I can go into places straight rib tires won't let me go. Sometimes I can't get out without help......

To stay on topic, does the mountains of dog shit I walk though every day count? The cab of my Ranger always smells like a dog kennel........

Years of Experience

Angry Re: What's the lowest you've ever sank in mud?

Ohh the joys of locating seems this is a common ground we face just a week or so ago I sank both feet up to my knees due to a contractor not tamping his ditch after he filled it in bad part it was on the side of the road at a very busy intersection so god knows how many people saw me and laughed when I sank and had to crawl out of the pit on my stomach......talk about imbarrasment

up to just below my chest. happened in front of a police dept. It took the 2 cops (laughing their asses off) to pull me out. The site had just had a phone duct installed. I ended up standing on it. I lost my pants and boots on that one. Happened in March, and was slightly cold. the trench was covered with straw. I normally didn't work in this area.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

Like TBONE stated falling in utility trenches is normal in my area. Walking out a cable in a newer subdivision and all of a sudden you find a soft spot in their trench and your up to your knees in mud.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    Like TBONE stated falling in utility trenches is normal in my area. Walking out a cable in a newer subdivision and all of a sudden you find a soft spot in their trench and your up to your knees in mud.
    +1 on that for sure! We have a lot of new trenches here, and we are constantly telling the noobs to watch themselves, it's really easy to twist an ankle or worse working in these "minefields".

I sooooooo know what you guys are talking about!! I've done the new utility ditches... I believe I've learned my lesson on not walking on them. My most recient "quick sand" story was on the side of the most busy intersection down here. They were widening the road, so that means Crush 'n Run.... u'd think it was hard enough to walk on.... well it hadn't rained in a while (the drought) and it just had... so I'm marking a fiber... and next step - you got it... I'm almost waist deep in tht stuff... with people watching me try to get out...
    And i did... finally.... and the next step... i did it again! I did not lose my shoes or pants (Beyond help - lol)... well i did lose one boot, but luckely it was near the top to where i could fish 4 it.
    So I basically pulled off that job 4 the day.
    That is not the most embarassing story i have now.... I am known for being a clutz! I'll post more storys soon!