Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your most memorable locate?

Years of Experience

Default What is your most memorable locate?

I've been mulling over my past experiences contract locating, the good and the bad, but just a question, what is the one locate that sticks out in your mind?

In mine, it was my 2nd year in locating, and it was locating a telephone duct, 3 direct buried fibers, a 900 pair, 4 tv lines, 1 tv fiber, 2 feeders, and a single phase primary on an intersection where they were putting in a new 36 inch water main direct bore.

I will never forget how stressed I was leaving that job, and when all went well, so relieved.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What is your most memorable locate?

The one that sticks out in my memory was from my 2nd year as well. It was a long summer day and I was about a mile into a 2mile locate. It was a small back country highway with only a single main. The peds were clean and the phone was easy to locate. The sun was starting to go down, there was a nice gentle breeze. I was in shorts and a T-shirt. There was no traffic, and the temperature was nice and mild. It was truely a perfect summer evening. As I was getting close to the end of the locate the local elk herd decided to come out and visit. They were comming out of the hills to my left and crossing over the meadow to my right.

Its locates like that, that keep me going...... well, and the pay as well.

Mke

Jewell Meadows Wildlife Area, Oregon 202, Seaside, OR - Google Maps
    Last edited by Mke; January 3rd, 2013 at 10:42 AM. Reason: added link

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sauroke View Post
    I've been mulling over my past experiences contract locating, the good and the bad, but just a question, what is the one locate that sticks out in your mind?

In mine, it was my 2nd year in locating, and it was locating a telephone duct, 3 direct buried fibers, a 900 pair, 4 tv lines, 1 tv fiber, 2 feeders, and a single phase primary on an intersection where they were putting in a new 36 inch water main direct bore.

I will never forget how stressed I was leaving that job, and when all went well, so relieved.
    St. Agustine Fla , 18 poly plastic water main feeding under the intercoastal waterway .
    What a trip , had to work only during low tide and used boats to get to a few islands . They were going to put a new bridge in and needed to have it marked to make sure they didnt hit it when they did pile drivings . I was stomping thru the marsh and weeds and once fell into the water because i was locating and the edge of the bank gave away . I had to laugh and the water line crew that was there about pissed themselves we i fell in . It was a mess and tough but it was so cool to find a water line that deep , about 15 to 20 feet , and find out months later that i was on the money . Man i sweated that job but what a blast .

Years of Experience

There have been a lot over the years but oddly enough the one that comes to mind is a phone service in a subdivision. It had been spliced in at least 3 places. I eventually resorted to locating to the splices (where I lost signal) digging them up and using the Alligator clip with the little tooth to make contact with the sheath. I have had a couple projects over the years that still give me nightmares.

Years of Experience

dang........i can't even think of a good one ....
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

I can recall each locate I've been to in my 15 years when I've walked into the backyards and there were topless sun bathers out back. The funny thing is I went to leave a locate once and the girls said no problem just do your job but then I finished the locate and went to take pictures and felt like too big of a creep to take pics of the locate. So I just put down that the camera wasn't working.

When I look back at the real crappy jobs I did in the beginning of my career I wonder what I was thinking. These same areas that I thought were horrible 15 years ago were very simple tickets,now they still have everything that was there then plus 5-10 separate trench fibers.

Years of Experience

my most memorable locate had to be back in 2007 or 2008, when, as I was walking to my truck, I heard a car behind me rev it's engine and, when I turned, i was 15' from the passenger that was hanging out the window while firing shots at the guy walking down the s/walk. I turned my head and said a little prayer because he knew and I knew that i just saw everything, but, he didn't shoot me.It's amazing how quick Jesus' name pops in your head when you KNOW that your time in this life is up.

Wag
    Years of Experience

I've heard several fellow locators speak of topless sunbathers in back yards. Still waiting for my turn to see that.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Wag View Post
    I've heard several fellow locators speak of topless sunbathers in back yards. Still waiting for my turn to see that.
    I had a trainee call me to get to his locate pronto. There was a high school couple on momma's couch bangin' away. Still waiting for my turn to see something like that. (Ahh, I don't know how to re-word that right. At my age, that may sound perverted.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by utiliquesternomo View Post
    my most memorable locate had to be back in 2007 or 2008, when, as I was walking to my truck, I heard a car behind me rev it's engine and, when I turned, i was 15' from the passenger that was hanging out the window while firing shots at the guy walking down the s/walk. I turned my head and said a little prayer because he knew and I knew that i just saw everything, but, he didn't shoot me.It's amazing how quick Jesus' name pops in your head when you KNOW that your time in this life is up.
    I know the feeling and you never know where it will happen . I had a kid take a shot at my truck and thankfully he wasna bad shot and only blow the side windows of my topper . And this was in a very upscale hood in Boca Raton Fla.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    I had a trainee call me to get to his locate pronto. There was a high school couple on momma's couch bangin' away. Still waiting for my turn to see something like that. (Ahh, I don't know how to re-word that right. At my age, that may sound perverted.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

That stuff never happens to me. The closest I've came is a 50yr old crack whore who's boob fell out of her wife beater T during a sewer inspection. And thats one of the memories i'm still trying to scrub from my mind.

mke

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    That stuff never happens to me. The closest I've came is a 50yr old crack whore who's boob fell out of her wife beater T during a sewer inspection. And thats one of the memories i'm still trying to scrub from my mind.

mke
    Yeah same here. My Penthouse Forum moment was when I was hooking up to a meter early in the morning and caught an eye full of an old woman somewhere between 85 and 150 years old who decided to do topless dishes by the kitchen window at 6 am.
    Last edited by daman1; January 11th, 2013 at 02:51 PM.

Years of Experience

When I started locating, I neither liked or hated dogs. I was very neutral. Today, hearing sliding-glass-doors open and toe-nails grabbing for traction on a wooden deck, clicking dog tags or dogs barking in the distance makes me freeze in my tracks. I have been bitten by many breeds since I started locating; never by a Rottweiler or Pit Bull....... YET! My God, I hate dogs!

My most memorable locate involving an encounter by a dog was the summer of 2003. My territory was in the ghetto then and I was locating the rear easement of a large elementary school. The only buried utility was a CATV drop that I was marking from the side of the school to the dip pole along the rear property line. The school's rear easement was surrounded on three sides by backyards full of barking dogs. Eight or nine were Pit Bulls, but there was also a mix of mean Rotties and mutts.

The closer I got to my dip pole, the dogs closest to the pole went into a hyper frenzy mode. Bad Pitt Bulls contained by a four-foot-tall, chain-link fence scared the shit out of me then and still does! I marked the drop and turned to head back to the school. About 80 feet away from the pole, with my back turned, I heard the sound of a dog jumping the chain link fence. I did an about-face to see a full-grown Pitt Bull running to me at full speed. My first reaction was yelling words at the beast that I'm ashamed to admit. I heard a neighbor yell out the dog's name and the charging monster stopped about twenty feet from me. The dog barked at me for maybe ten seconds and then ran back to jump the fence into it's own backyard! I'd be dead right now if I was a kindergartener facing that Pit Bull and there was not a good neighbor watching my backside!

There is no way I'd let kids play in a school yard with one Pit Bull lurking in the background; let alone 8 or 9! These fockin' people who own farel canines surrounding school yards need their heads examined is all I've got say.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Most memorable for me would be a locate I had at an Embassy on Mass ave nw dc. I cant remember which embassy. This was years ago, pre 9/11 as well. Anyway,I pull up and start the work. all my access points were in the roadway or sidewalk so I had not even set foot on the property when someone came out the front door simply looked at me and went back inside. Less than 5 min. later there were no less than 5 marked secret service cops surrounded my truck and myself and blocking of Mass ave in both directions. Scared the crap out of me of course. All ended well, I had a ticket for the job obviously and that was the end of it.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by db90 View Post
    Most memorable for me would be a locate I had at an Embassy on Mass ave nw dc. I cant remember which embassy. This was years ago, pre 9/11 as well. Anyway,I pull up and start the work. all my access points were in the roadway or sidewalk so I had not even set foot on the property when someone came out the front door simply looked at me and went back inside. Less than 5 min. later there were no less than 5 marked secret service cops surrounded my truck and myself and blocking of Mass ave in both directions. Scared the crap out of me of course. All ended well, I had a ticket for the job obviously and that was the end of it.
    haha oh man, that's great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast