Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "What are you doing?"

Default Re: "What are you doing?"

i usually flood them with information, trying to answer all possible questions that i expect they are about to ask me. so i go over a list of things without giving them much time to interject. like today a lady asked me what i was doing. I said...

"well i'm trying to mark out all the telephone lines in the area because there is a water leak down by the creek just down from your house. i know where the telephone main line is because it was replaced about a year ago (i point to the new ped on the road) and i did all the locating for the line replacement but i don't know about how your home or that shop next door to you gets telephone service, there is a line buried along the road and a line hanging on those poles behind the homes and i'm not sure which way it goes. would it be okay if i went into your backyard and checked your phone box?"

"yes"

"thank you ma'am"
    "You can never trust AT&T to do the intelligent thing..." - SM&P Lead Tech

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Jcbro86 View Post
    i usually flood them with information, trying to answer all possible questions that i expect they are about to ask me. so i go over a list of things without giving them much time to interject. like today a lady asked me what i was doing. I said...

"well i'm trying to mark out all the telephone lines in the area because there is a water leak down by the creek just down from your house. i know where the telephone main line is because it was replaced about a year ago (i point to the new ped on the road) and i did all the locating for the line replacement but i don't know about how your home or that shop next door to you gets telephone service, there is a line buried along the road and a line hanging on those poles behind the homes and i'm not sure which way it goes. would it be okay if i went into your backyard and checked your phone box?"

"yes"

"thank you ma'am"
    Jeepers do you actually get any work done during the day chit chatting with the homeowners so much?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDodds View Post
    Jeepers do you actually get any work done during the day chit chatting with the homeowners so much?
    well i don't get 50+ tickets a day like some of the techs on here but i do pretty well for myself : )
    "You can never trust AT&T to do the intelligent thing..." - SM&P Lead Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    [FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=4]Now, with my high-visibility, red & white billboard truck with the announcement that's the length of the pickup bed, "Utility Locating Services," I have gone almost a year with no one asking, "What are you doing?"
    In our district, they decided it was too expensive to put stickers on the trucks. We have a bunch of SM&P trucks, a couple CLS trucks, mostly USIC trucks, and mine is really special... USIC logo on the door, SM&P stripes on the sides, no explanation anywhere on the truck of what the hell the company does. Oh... other than when someone recognizes the logo from the guy who shut off their electric... yeah... our district shuts off people's electric. Using the same truck. I've had several people yell at me for it now and I have to explain "It wasn't me I swear!!"

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    I think I will just start asking for a shot of Tequila in the future.
    Can I use your bathroom? I need to take a dump real bad!!!! Then jump up and down holding my ass.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123