Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "What are you doing?"

Default Re: "What are you doing?"

I think I will just start asking for a shot of Tequila in the future.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

The best part is when you are working in the roadway and a car stops dead in it's tracks in the middle of the road blocking traffic to ask you what they plan on doing?

"Doing just fine!"

Years of Experience

urban artwork, Others tag building, I get the lawns.

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    I think I will just start asking for a shot of Tequila in the future.
    I'll take a captain and coke!!!
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

What did you say homeowner? You want to share a doob with me in your luxurious back yard?

...Sorry I can't do that; but thanks for the offer!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by FreedMan View Post
    I once told a boy of 7 or 8 that we were designing a triple decker six lane highway that was going to run straight through his bedroom. If you can't have fun at work it's time to change jobs.
    I, too, have little kids ask me the same question. I just tell them, "I'm looking for pipes and wires."

When I had the SM&P small logo'd trucks, I was approached almost daily, "What are you doing?" Now, with my high-visibility, red & white billboard truck with the announcement that's the length of the pickup bed, "Utility Locating Services," I have gone almost a year with no one asking, "What are you doing?"

Years ago, my buddy and I had just completed a complicated locate on top of a dam in the high rent district. This milf was jogging thru the painted maize to stop and ask my buddy, "What's going on?" Without hesitation my buddy said, "There was a major water main break last night on the only water main feeding this neighborhood. It's going to take weeks to fix it. The city is heading this way with pumps to suck water from this lake so you guys can have water until the broken main gets fixed."

Not believing what I'm hearing, I'm standing there like a dumb ass with my mouth open when the milf said, "Oh....." and kept jogging. My buddy said the exact same thing as FreedMan, "If you can't have fun at work, it's time to change jobs."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    I, too, have little kids ask me the same question. I just tell them, "I'm looking for pipes and wires."

When I had the SM&P small logo'd trucks, I was approached almost daily, "What are you doing?" Now, with my high-visibility, red & white billboard truck with the announcement that's the length of the pickup bed, "Utility Locating Services," I have gone almost a year with no one asking, "What are you doing?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You must have some of the more educated people in your area, cause I still get asked daily. I can be standing right next to that 'Utility Locating Services' with the Homeowner just feet away, and they still ask. I had one yesterday, and just did the price is right model thing right there. He still didn't have a clue. He kept bitching that he wasn't going to pay for it. I kept telling him it was free. Then he started bitching that he would have to pay more taxes... By this time, I had the line marked and pic'd. I just left shaking my head.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

I responded to a water main break in a trailer park in a small town... I was up between two trailers hooking on to the gas meter cluster when a guy yells out his window.."What's going on out there?"

I told him the water main broke and the city was fixing it... He then asked if it was the Hot, or the Cold water...

o.0

Years of Experience

being bored
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    17 years

"My company needs more flags. I'm planting these in your dig area to grow some more".

Some of these are pretty funny. I have had one or two homeowners show me where his curb valve is for his gas line, those people I'm truly thankful for. I've also had one or two offer/give me some snacks and water, which was touching. Beyond those, I tried to give as little information as possible or as much as I thought necessary, but was always wrong and had to explain more.

Years of Experience

If you want these people to leave you alone it is really simple. Just look at em and say,"I have new socks." Then start rocking back and forth.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by FreedMan View Post
    I hate those questions too, especially the lame-assed, unoriginal gold questions. I once told a boy of 7 or 8 that we were designing a triple decker six lane highway that was going to run straight through his bedroom. He'd been buggin' the piss out of me for a good twenty minutes or something, so when he ran inside crying to his mommy I didn't really care. I was sorta surprised when mommy didn't come out and scream at me though. If you can't have fun at work it's time to change jobs.
    Not one of mine but at a job I worked years ago we used to have to sometimes enter people's homes. Prior to my coming there they had one guy who did a little amateur ventriloquism. So he was throwing his voice so to the kids it sounded like someone stuck inside the walls of the home. Later that night he got a call and had to go back to that house to get Santa Clause out of the wall of that house, it was Christmas Eve and the kids were really upset.

Some things just backfire on people.

After reading all these posts ive come to realize that im way to nice to homeowners! the rudest thing i do is have my rock music cranked in my truck while painting out shit..especially in upper class neighborhoods!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast