Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "What are you doing?"

Default "What are you doing?"

I assume everyone hears this question multiple times, every day. How do you answer? Is it a real answer or what kind of mood you are in or ..etc?

I'm a very moody person and will most always answer to whatever I feel will give the asker an answer I don't need to expound on and go about my business. "The utility company is doing work on their lines."

This excludes h/o who should know they called in landscapers..oh wait..? :

Years of Experience
    too many

Default Re: "What are you doing?"

I tell them the truth....I have nothing better to do today then single out your house and paint your grass!

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

What are you doing? Or... my favorite: Is there something I can help you with?
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

I always told them to hang on a second, as soon as I was done peeling this coconut I'd be right with them.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    What are you doing? Or... my favorite: Is there something I can help you with?
    When they ask me this, I say "Grab these flags and follow behind me"!!!

Years of Experience

Home Owner: "What are you doing in my lawn?!?"

Me: "Well, See this red line here? That is your electric feed. The orange ones are phone and cable. lf the *Insert contractor here* hits any of these while he's digging for
    *Insert type of work here*, you're out of service until the power, phone, or cable company gets here to fix it. I'm marking them for you, free of charge."

When a homeowner ask's if they can help me with something, I usually just give ma standard answer. "No thanks, I can handle it!" And just continue to ignore them.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I'll take "what are you doing?" over "If you find any gold, its mine." or some version there of.

I also answer the question depending on the person who's asking. I've answered with the simple "nothing". Or one time I told some one it was a geiger counter, and that it was showing me to the source of some type of chemical leak.

Mke

A friend of mine was locating gas one day when he came upon a man and a woman watching him. When he got close to them the man asked "What is that? " My friend quickly answered '"yellow paint". The woman then poked her husband and said " I told you so!" The husband told his wife and my buddy to "go to hell" and stomped back inside his house.

My friend said he and the lady both stood there and laughed for a good while.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

If you find gold... or, can you find gold... etc. I always tell them If I could find gold with this thing I wouldn't be locating.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

I've had this bad habit of telling whomever the hell wants to know, "When I figure it out I'll let you know." Then I start talking to myself. That usually works
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

I hate those questions too, especially the lame-assed, unoriginal gold questions. I once told a boy of 7 or 8 that we were designing a triple decker six lane highway that was going to run straight through his bedroom. He'd been buggin' the piss out of me for a good twenty minutes or something, so when he ran inside crying to his mommy I didn't really care. I was sorta surprised when mommy didn't come out and scream at me though. If you can't have fun at work it's time to change jobs.
    "You have enemies? Good! That means you've stood up for something sometime in your life." ~ Winston Churchill

Locating both sides of the road, so the chicken can bore underneath it...
    Years of Experience
    too many

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    If you find gold... or, can you find gold... etc. I always tell them If I could find gold with this thing I wouldn't be locating.
    I get that one all the time. I tell them, "If I COULD find gold with this damn thing, you think I'd be looking for phone cables?", that usually shuts them up.
    "No, installing your fence is NOT an emergency"...

- or -

"It's call BEFORE you dig, not AFTER you've hit something."

Yes, my avatar does describe my attitude towards many others...

the best answer for me is either to tell them that the city is surveying the town for a possible annex, thats a jaw dropper. or when in the city i like to bust out the whole road alley switcheroo. I tell people that they are going to turn the road into an alley and the alley into a road with the new grant money they got from obama. they will be picking up everyones house and moving them 25 ft or so.

the dumb thing is there are people who actually believe it. enough to post a blog on the local newspaper website. after that i just let them ponder for a few seconds then tell them just playing.

Years of Experience

can I help you ....No im good ....I think I can I live here....well this is for the house next door not you so youre good....lol pisses them off everytime I do it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast