Thread: What would it take?

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default What would it take?

I know this is out of left field, but was curious.

Hypothetically, Let say I work for a state agency, and we are looking at hiring a locator. Lets say we are starting out at $18 an hour, full bennies (retirement, insurance, time off, etc..). You are not able to take the work rig home, but you are fully supported by upper management (as long as you do your job).

Would you re-locate? If not, would you stay because of family, or because the offer isn't enough?

The reason I ask, I was talkin to the Mrs' the other day, and told her that I was a whore, and if there was a company out there who was willing to throw money at me, I would move us accordingly. She was offended, but understood the sentiment. I was just wondering if I was the only one out there who would be willing to move to someplace for a better locating job, and to figure out if i'm cheap.

Mke

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What would it take?

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    I know this is out of left field, but was curious.

Hypothetically, Let say I work for a state agency, and we are looking at hiring a locator. Lets say we are starting out at $18 an hour, full bennies (retirement, insurance, time off, etc..). You are not able to take the work rig home, but you are fully supported by upper management (as long as you do your job).

Would you re-locate? If not, would you stay because of family, or because the offer isn't enough?

The reason I ask, I was talkin to the Mrs' the other day, and told her that I was a whore, and if there was a company out there who was willing to throw money at me, I would move us accordingly. She was offended, but understood the sentiment. I was just wondering if I was the only one out there who would be willing to move to someplace for a better locating job, and to figure out if i'm cheap.

Mke
    You bet I would, and have.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Yes mikey, i"m on the whore wagon too !! Y you hireing ????

Years of Experience

As long as it is stable and not a temporary test the waters type of opening I would as long as it isnt freezing cold most of the winter I'm a spoiled tropical location locator but I woiuldnt miss the 90+ degree days with 100% humidity

Years of Experience

it is a tough move....but I almost moved on ...so to answer the question ...I would say yes
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Interesting question which I have discussed with a number of fellow locators over the years.

Our industry is mandated in all 50 states and Canada so we all have the ability to move to a job just about anywhere.

The number one reason people do not move is becasue their spouse does not want to leave the area and their friends and family. Mostly this is the wife rather than the husbands that do not want to move away from family and friends.

Another odd reason you can find in Mark Twain's 'A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court'. The hero and the King were traveling incognito and had stopped in a inn in a small village. The locals were telling them how good they had it with their local Lord compared to the neighboring land. The Yankee pointed out that when you compared what the other Lord gave for a bushel of barley compared to the taxes and cost of living in the next land their neighbors were better off. The locals pondered this and chased the Yankee and King out of town for being witches.

Many locators are pocket rich and only see money in the gross amount. While the cost of living may be lower elsewhere the gross wages are lower yet this the lower wage results effectively in a raise as there is more surplus money after expenses are paid. Many of our locators do not understand this and can only see the gross total , not how much money they effectively have.

Then there is just the prospect of moving someplace unknown, daunting to many.

I know I can do better elsewhere, have job offers elsewhere right now, but other considerations hold me here.

Senior Member FailedSafetyAudit's Avatar
    Years of Experience

It's hard to put enough faith in a new employer to move, especially if it's a big distance. Employers are untrustworthy enough as it is naturally. Lay offs, unjustified firings, mergers, bankruptcies, acquisitions, and plain ol' psychotic rage. Can't trust 'em. If I did move, I would start lining up the next thing almost immediately.
    TRUST no one !!!
    QUESTION everything !!!
    Find the TRUTH for yourself !!!
    Sound a bit paranoid ???
    That's what this business is. - Don Lyng