Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: what type of equipment would you need?

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default what type of equipment would you need?

I'm not sure if it is a good sign or a bad sign, but my boss asked me yesterday to get him a list of equipment that a locator "needs".

That is kinda a broad question, so I asked him, "electronic, or non-electronic?" and he stated that he is looking for locating specific electronic equipment.

So, this got me thinking..... What equipment do you "need"?

I'm a die hard 810 guy so she was at the top of my list. I had to list the reciever and transmitter seperately.

1)810 receiver and Transmitter
    2) ???

What says you? Any equipment you think will help with day to day locating?

mke

Default Re: what type of equipment would you need?

A couple of bent copper rods.... Now that's some hi-tecky locatin. Get's lectronical in a thunderstorm!

Just kidding with ya.

The RD 8000 is pretty good too but it usually scares the stuff outta die hard 810'ers.
    The main question is, "What kind of utility/utilities will you be locating?"

Years of Experience

ped wrenches....knife.....rubber boots ....raincoat ...hand sanitizer
    Twitchin Witcher likes this.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

2lb hammer and a 8-12 lb hammer on a short handle, GOOD leatherman, machete and loppers
    yahoo and Nb22x like this.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Gas detector for manhole entry. Equipment to blow out the manhole.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Might sound crazy, but I think the Fishers Split Box is great for Steel & CI.

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

I'd want something to back up the 810, probably an RD 8000, although I hate them a Pipehorn would also be on the list, as well as a decent quality metal detector, a Tif 8800 combustible gas detector, and if you have to locate sewers a Ridgid Seesnake with a built in sonde in the camera head.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Turk182 View Post
    I'd want something to back up the 810, probably an RD 8000, although I hate them a Pipehorn would also be on the list, as well as a decent quality metal detector, a Tif 8800 combustible gas detector, and if you have to locate sewers a Ridgid Seesnake with a built in sonde in the camera head.
    Very good point. A metal detector is a must if your locating gas and phone. Great for finding those test valve's and manholes in those gravel or snow covered alley's. That's something that USIC doesn't want to spend $ on here. I've asked numorous times for one with no luck. I usally ask the water company to borrow theirs if I need one.
    UULC likes this.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Split boxes are great pieces of equipment. I have a detectron split box. Nice locator.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience
    30+

I have a Piphorn 100 and a Schonstedt metal detector. Spare batteries and a lot of them. Have you ever been a thousand feet or better and your receiver is losing the signal intermediary with the transmitter batteries going dead and you go back and replace them only to have it happen again because the new one are no good?

Also carry spare AAA in my safety vest for the camera and change them very often when the camera slows down when taking pictures. Almost everyone has notice this if you have been doing this a long time.

By the way I am in Florida.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Thanks for all the input.

We just got the green light to purchase more equipment (Vivax, we got quotes from other distributors, but they were either too high or didn't respond)

Right now I carry the 810, Aquatronics split box, Schonstedt, power pup (60cycle)

With this new purchase we will have VlocPro2 W/10w transmitter Fiber optic camera with sonde as well as a Fiberglass rodder with a thinner sonde for smaller conduits.

As for Steve's and Sup's comment.... I love my split box. I think it is a must have for locators (especially private locators). Typically I use my split box to find Manholes and tanks, and the Schonstedt for property pins, ground rods, survey monuments.

mke

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

We have the Vivax. While they cost less you get what you pay for. The 'savings' must be spent on buying more Vivaxs' because they breakdown so fast you need more spares than with other equipment. Then when you factor in the lost man hours, increased OT, caused by having to replace them in the field they cost more than the higher priced equipment.

Vivax, Made in China is right on the case.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    We have the Vivax. While they cost less you get what you pay for. The 'savings' must be spent on buying more Vivaxs' because they breakdown so fast you need more spares than with other equipment. Then when you factor in the lost man hours, increased OT, caused by having to replace them in the field they cost more than the higher priced equipment.

Vivax, Made in China is right on the case.
    Now you know why we are not getting rid of our 810's. Besides, Being a public agency, we don't have a choice.... we have to go with lowest bid. RD didn't even submit a bid.

mke

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    Now you know why we are not getting rid of our 810's. Besides, Being a public agency, we don't have a choice.... we have to go with lowest bid. RD didn't even submit a bid.

mke
    I have a family member who does a lot of government contracts as a service provider. It was tough for him to get a start because he had to show the ability to satisfactorily perform to be considered. Until he had built a good reputation doing private sector work he was out bid on government contract even though his bid was lower. The ability to give value for the amount paid can trump a low bid.

While the Vivax bid may have been the lowest other equipment, you mentioned RD, is not the same equipment although it performs the same function. The Vivax is an apple compared to all those other oranges, mango's and bananas. Look at the military awarding the bid to Boeing while rejecting aircraft from other manufactures. They decided for their money the Boeing craft was the purchase to make.

The door was open for accepting a bid on other equipment, just that the managers may have had to defend their decision. Most of the time there is only a review of the contract awarded if one of the bidders files an objection. Most often these objections are not filed.\

For most things where there is a will there is a way. When the bid process offer someone the 'out' of saying they had to accept the lowest bid their is no incentive to select the right thing if it may involve defending that choice. In this kind of bid process mediocrity and sloth are encouraged but this not actually required.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    I have a family member who does a lot of government contracts as a service provider. It was tough for him to get a start because he had to show the ability to satisfactorily perform to be considered. Until he had built a good reputation doing private sector work he was out bid on government contract even though his bid was lower. The ability to give value for the amount paid can trump a low bid.

While the Vivax bid may have been the lowest other equipment, you mentioned RD, is not the same equipment although it performs the same function. The Vivax is an apple compared to all those other oranges, mango's and bananas. Look at the military awarding the bid to Boeing while rejecting aircraft from other manufactures. They decided for their money the Boeing craft was the purchase to make.

The door was open for accepting a bid on other equipment, just that the managers may have had to defend their decision. Most of the time there is only a review of the contract awarded if one of the bidders files an objection. Most often these objections are not filed.\

For most things where there is a will there is a way. When the bid process offer someone the 'out' of saying they had to accept the lowest bid their is no incentive to select the right thing if it may involve defending that choice. In this kind of bid process mediocrity and sloth are encouraged but this not actually required.
    Please refer to the comment that RD did not submit a proposal, and follow that up with the other distributor only submited quotes for Rigid equipment, and left a few pieces we needed off the proposal..... and they came in high.

I know you are stating to go with "better" equipment, and that is exactly why our 810 will still be our primary. There are strategic ways to work around the low bid process. However, this only can work when distributors submit the proper paper work. We are a small shop, I know a big national corporation could easily purchase more equipment. However, 30k is 30k. Not to even mention the other supplies we would need to get from time to time and the repair and maintenance on some of the equipment.

All in all, The process worked the way its supposed to. I understand the issues with the Vivaxs. The only thing we have going for us is the fact that they won't be a primary piece of equipment and won't get beat into the ground like normal usage tends to do.

The point of this thread was to see what other locators think is important enough to use. I was glad to hear that people use the split box. I think that is a great piece of equipment and I am surprised more people don't use it.

Mke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast