Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: What is the scariest part of the job?

Years of Experience

Default What is the scariest part of the job?

When I first started locating a short 16 years ago I figured that traffic would be the one thing that would bother me. I work in a city setting so entering manholes in busy intersections can be very tricky. The wierd thing is that I don't worry about traffic much at all because I can take precautions and try to be safe.

The thing that worries me most about this job is dogs. I can't believe how stupid people are and they will knowingly let a dog out on you while in their fenced in yard. I will do a door knock on arrival and no one answers so I make a bunch of noise entering the back yard so everyone and dog knows I'm out there. And even know the homeowners were too lazy to get off the coach to answer the door when I was knocking and ringing away they get up and let the dog out to chase me around.

Luckily I have never been bit by a dog.............YET....................
    yahoo likes this.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: What is the scariest part of the job?

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    When I first started locating a short 16 years ago I figured that traffic would be the one thing that would bother me. I work in a city setting so entering manholes in busy intersections can be very tricky. The wierd thing is that I don't worry about traffic much at all because I can take precautions and try to be safe.

The thing that worries me most about this job is dogs. I can't believe how stupid people are and they will knowingly let a dog out on you while in their fenced in yard. I will do a door knock on arrival and no one answers so I make a bunch of noise entering the back yard so everyone and dog knows I'm out there. And even know the homeowners were too lazy to get off the coach to answer the door when I was knocking and ringing away they get up and let the dog out to chase me around.

Luckily I have never been bit by a dog.............YET....................
    Dogs are the biggest things. Traffic? If a driver hits you their insurance is your retirement fund.

Farm animals is another, sort of related to dogs in that animals are a concern. I had a bull that one objected to my presence in his field.

Insects are another things. South in of my state the black widow spiders love to nest in CATV peds. A bigger insect problem are bees and wasps. Never open any ped or box with out first rattling it so see if an angry buzzing is heard.

Snakes are not a big problem but we do have cotton mouths in our area and they are very territorial, bite first and ask no questions.

And then there are the Jehovah's Witlessness. They lurk behind a tree and spring on you. Can't out run them cause they are always on those bicycles. The horror, the horror.
    union_YES, Cheddar, yahoo and 1 others like this.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I got bit by a dog about 2 weeks ago. The homeowner was standing right there and the dog just walked up and bit me. No growling, no warning. The HO was very surprised and very apologetic.

You don't need to be alone with the dog for it to be aggressive.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    [What] worries me most about this job [of my short 16 years] is dogs. Luckily I have never been bit by a dog.............YET....................
    Greetings Goldenboy - I have been bitten by many dogs during my short 16 years of locating. Twice I got my junk bitten while the homeowner watched! Luckily, I have never been bitten by a Rottweiler or Pit Bull.............YET! Clicking dog tags, barking dogs within close proximity and sliding-glass-doors opening followed by the sound of toenails grabbing for traction on wooden decks send a chill up my spine.............

Every locate request has the potential of the locator being confronted by a dog. It would have been nice to receive some schooling during the initial SM&P/USIC indoctrination of the dangers of dogs. Just having a bona fide dog trainer give a two hour session of recognizing a bad dog and what to do if being attacked by a vicious household pet would prevent much pain and suffering for utility locators everywhere.

A convincing Rottweiler owner schooled me in about twenty minutes about the dangers of dogs. His parting words, "You would be doing the community a service if you would throw a hot dog soaked in antifreeze into the yard of every Pit Bull you see." To all the dog owners out there, I do not condone this behavior nor would I do such an act.................... just sayin'.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Locating a die electric fiber with no tracer wire ah ha ha
    Quote Originally Posted by wingfoot View Post
    greetings goldenboy - i have been bitten by many dogs during my short 16 years of locating. Twice i got my junk bitten while the homeowner watched! Luckily, i have never been bitten by a rottweiler or pit bull.............yet! Clicking dog tags, barking dogs within close proximity and sliding-glass-doors opening followed by the sound of toenails grabbing for traction on wooden decks send a chill up my spine.............

Every locate request has the potential of the locator being confronted by a dog. It would have been nice to receive some schooling during the initial sm&p/usic indoctrination of the dangers of dogs. Just having a bona fide dog trainer give a two hour session of recognizing a bad dog and what to do if being attacked by a vicious household pet would prevent much pain and suffering for utility locators everywhere.

A convincing rottweiler owner schooled me in about twenty minutes about the dangers of dogs. His parting words, "you would be doing the community a service if you would throw a hot dog soaked in antifreeze into the yard of every pit bull you see." to all the dog owners out there, i do not condone this behavior nor would i do such an act.................... Just sayin'.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

sitting at the rail/road tracks with about 10 cars behind you .....only to see the train jump the tracks!!!!
    Mke likes this.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    na

Down south in gator areas in dense marshy areas around bridges where cables cross...

No one will ever know either...
    Wingfoot and yahoo like this.

Years of Experience

• Skunks, wasps and bees.
    • Black snakes and garter snakes will get my attention, but rattle snakes make me scream like a little girl!
    • Night locating in the middle of nowhere.
    • Back yard locating in the middle of the night during an emergency call-out with or without the crew on site.
    • A Dig-Up ticket when I know I short-cutted the shit out of the locate....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    yahoo, daman1 and KaineF like this.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I'm with you guys on the Dogs, wasps, and spiders. I'll toss in there locating in the ghetto's as well. Between the Rots and Pits that are just behind a thin fence of chicken wire, to the people who keep trying to take your transmitter or threatening to kill you if you get any paint on their property or step foot on their property. Or they think you are there to shut off their power.

I'll take middle of the night locating in the middle of nowhere........except when you start to hear the coyotes chatter near you and you still can't see them, that kinda sucks.

mke
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    • A Dig-Up ticket when I know I short-cutted the shit out of the locate....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

HA!!! thats great. and i agree

Years of Experience

The "ghost" locates. The ones where your signal is so bad, you look the contractor dead in the eye, and say, "I have no idea". Meanwhile your job is on the line.
    Dogs, at least in my mind, second rate to this feeling, and I've been bitten twice.
    daman1 likes this.

Years of Experience

Bruthas in the hood with GUNS!!!
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by utiliquesternomo View Post
    Bruthas in the hood with GUNS!!!
    Word. And having guns pulled on you. This really sucks in Illinois, BTW. Wisconsin, not so much.

The phone ringing.. ( it's my boss).

I'm running several inidpenent fibers, (an 864, one 576, and a couple 144's not to mention the 48's and 12's) next to the hospital where there is a 6 cicuit feed out of the switch gear.

The hospital one day.. schools the next, manholes another day... I love bugging the boss when I can tell he's busy.. but when I'm in the middle of HP stuff, well, karma is funny like that. Emergencies always hit me when I'm in deep.

Oh, how I hate a phone call...

Years of Experience

I just love it when you pull up and the homeowner comes out and says the dog wont hurt you. Ya right lady. Let me turn my equipment on and watch your dog go nuts. Or the ones where you pull up noone home, and you cant get out of your truck because of the 3 growling/barking dogs. People have no idea what there dogs are like when they arent home. I understand all dogs are protective to a point, but then make sure they are put up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast