Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are my odds?

Default Re: What are my odds?

708 seeker be prepared for 4 way locates 5 6 and 7 ways on some tickets lot of aerial or duct runs down there not including gas and many fiber companies. tell hugh spinks and christa flemming i say hey!

I have no clue what any of that means... But ok.

oh sorry but perhaps you soon will and will make the most of it. sorry. i ended up getting a job at cls like 4 months after they came to il. i applied the 1st time, never heard back. i applied in early summer and they replied and interviewed me. companies like usic do training classes with like 30 people usually. training at cls was real similar. they gave me the job told me when the next class was and we started training. the 1st or 2nd day we did ridealongs with a mentor to see what it was like in the field. they have to get a good size class before and by the end of the class half of them will either quit showing up or fail their certifications. if hired pay much attention with the gas because nicor gives you a field test and a written test for your "oq" around here i think the starting rate for noobs is 14.00 an hour.

Years of Experience

Seeker, welcome. It was the same for me when I first started in this line of work. I came from repairing Xerox machines to locating!
    While my old line of work was down sizing, I read an ad for locating and took a chance. I think I waited a couple of month's before I heard back from the company that originally hired me. It's nothing personal, it just means they don't care about you!!!
    It really means there waiting for a start date for training. I'm sure you'll get the nod, by how you write you sound competent, and they will see that as well.

Replying to both locatethis and fiberlocator99:

I was told training starts first week in Feb. How likely is it that they will delay the start of class for a week or two in order to get class size up to par?

When interviewed, they asked about my schooling. I told them I was enrolled, but the instructors knew that I would need to drop if hired. The ability to support family is more important than school right now, and I can always re-enroll for the Saturday class if needed. I know that with on-call I might have to miss a class or two, but I can deal with that.

When I interviewed, I was supposed to interview with the DM. However, I ended up interviewing with two supervisors/managers, one who actually would be my boss due to the geographical area I applied for. It was difficult to get a "read" off either of them, and overhearing a piece of conversation they seemed to be making fun of the fact that I have a retail background. I would assume that would be a bonus, seeing as how there are varied clients and property owners in the field and retail gives you skills to cope with that, but the snippet I overheard made it feel to me like it was more detrimental.

I'm a stubborn prick, and I really don't think I'd have a problem doing this job. I don't like losing, and I'll be damned if I let buried cables or a water line beat me.

Years of Experience

Seeker, chances are good they could move back the starting date of training due to any number of circumstances, like not having enough qualified or breathing personal. Just kidding. Or other factors. As far as you coming from retail, could just be that if I would make a comment, it would be How the hell could anybody work in retail???
    I really don't see how working in retail could be plus. In this line of work, you'll be dealing with contractors and property owners and alike. It's not like your trying to win over there business. Your there to make it possible for them to do what they need to do, safely!
    Oh, and as fast as you can... Good luck.

Retail is how I got my start in the "real world". It can be a plus because in retail I need to be able to talk to many different people and get the same point across to each. This could be using small words for the less learned people, or keeping cool under pressure. Time management is also key. Being able to look at a work load and prioritize based on a multitude of factors that change each day.

I've been a manager, and am in management now. It's a stressful environment too. Not on the same level as locating, but you learn how to manage stress instead of letting stress manage you. Sounds cliche and cheesy, but its true.

And I'm sure being able to change plans at the drop of a hat couldn't hurt.

Or maybe I'm just grabbing for straws.

Years of Experience

seeker... you sound like someone I would've looked hard at to Hire when I was a supe.
    It's not so much that you were or were not in Retail... it's that you sound intelligent and seemed to be a competent worker...

Thank you E. I'm not saying that my retail should be a reason why I get hired. I mentioned it as my background and then said I got the impression that it was a black mark against me due to what I overheard.

I like to think of myself as someone able to meet any challenge head on. This appeals to my puzzle solving nature, like finding buried treasure.

When they heard 'retail' they immediately thought : " This guy is going to bug out as soon as the weather gets over a 100 , or he gets bee stung, or has to jump a fence to get away from a dog, or has to slog his way thru 200' of high weeds, etc." because he is used to a nice air conditioned climate controlled environment.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Oh! your right Spray, there's that too!!!

Years of Experience

Saw this a bit late, but here goes. SEEKER, why would you want to give up a job that has stress to step into a job that has potentially more stress?
    Being stubborn does not mean that your ability to locate gets better, it just means that you will frustrate yourself that much more when hooked up to one end of a line, and not able to get a signal. Multitasking is good, but problem solving is about 90% of this job. If you want, start reading and watching how to's online to get an understanding of this job.
    It takes a special type of person to locate, and be pressured into speed. I would advise you to watch a few videos on YouTube first.

Quote Originally Posted by sauroke View Post
    It takes a special type of person to locate, and be pressured into speed. I would advise you to watch a few videos on YouTube first.
    Squeal Like a Pig - YouTube

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12