Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are my odds?

Default What are my odds?

Without going into too much detail, I was wondering what my odds are of hearing back after an interview? My background is primarily retail, so I have no experience locating. However, I'm used to having odd hours and long days, and I have a strong desire to learn.

I know each firm is different, but if the position calls for no experience necessary, would you be open to hiring someone like that? I've had the interview, hoping to hear back and make the change.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What are my odds?

Yeah, there is no reason why they wouldn't call you back. Most of the time what a company is looking for is work history. They want to make sure you are smart enough to hold down a job. I know quite a few people who were running stores before they picked up a can of paint and reciever.

Good Luck

Mke

I'll admit my work history has been slightly shaky recently. I was laid off when my location closed, and was officially off work for about 10 months, during which time I went to school. I don't like bouncing between jobs, but anyone who's worked retail knows that sometimes it's unavoidable.

I'd like to get into something more stable, and better paying, of course. Plus a bit of freedom from 4 walls and customers who think they own you because they're giving you their credit card would be an added bonus.

Years of Experience

Hey seeker - Welcome to the'Vine! I'm glad you joined us!

IF you can pass a "whiz quiz," you've beat out 80% of your competition for the position. USIC is a dominate locating force in the Windy City. I'm confident in saying USIC in Chicago is planning a hiring binge between now and March. Training classes should start late next month.

It's been a while since I've been to Chicago. Back in the day when I worked in the Goodyear retail division, I attended many training sessions close to O'Hare Airport; once in the dead of winter for 5 weeks of manager's training (Brrrrrrrrr!), twice during St. Patty's Day (WoW! What a town!) and a couple of times during the early Fall. I can remember a bright winter's day on the Lake Michigan shoreline close to The Museum of Science and Industry where I saw a giant wave; FROZEN in time!

I can remember being on top of One Prudential Plaza looking out to Lake Michigan in the Fall and seeing high-rise apartment dwellers sitting in lawn chairs on their open-air decks 30 some stories high! Not me Brother!

I can also remember seeing the curvature of the earth from on top of Larry Silverstein's Willis-Sears Tower Skydeck. Man, What-A-View! Ever since Larry had three of his steel n' concrete skyscrapers in NYC catch fire (Tower 1, Tower 2 and Building 7) and within minutes, each came crashing down at free-fall speed in a cloud of pulverized concrete powder and land on top of a melted mass of molten metal that stayed molten for weeks after the fire, I just don't feel safe walking into any building that unlucky S.O.B. owns................. Just sayin'!

Anyway, I love your city and I wish you well on your quest to become a utility locator. I welcome your membership to The Cable Vine and please post often.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The quiz should be no problem. I've never taken/smoked anything on a government's known banned substance list. Just never appealed to me. Boring, yes I know.

A hiring blitz doesn't mean that they'll throw everything to the wall and see what sticks. I just got the impression that the interviewer wasn't impressed with me. Now granted, I'm probably not the target audience, but from reading what's on here and from what I could piece together with the interview, I feel I could handle the stress of the job.

Chicago is a great city. However, once you peel back the glamour that is the "Windy City", it's less so. The high priced parking, the astronomical taxes, the corruption and lack of giveadamn by those in power... Another reason I'm looking for a profession like this is to learn a marketable skill set for a potential move down the line. If a position with a company opens up in another state, I'd like to be considered for it. In retail, those positions are usually reserved for District Managers and that's a "who you know" position.

Like I said, I'm just wondering if I'll get considered for the position, and offered the chance to take the whiz quiz. I know I can pass that, and I don't think I'll have issues with understanding the training. But whether or not I get there is a different story.

Years of Experience

Welcome to the forum Seeker. I will echo the others on this point: Retail is the type of experience that has proved helpfull for many in this gig. Customer service skills, prioritizing effectively and being able to truly multitask will get you far. But by far, the best attributes a locator can have are tenacity, and humility. If you are working for the big dog in Chicagoland, you will have to be tenacious to get it done. Once you feel you have it, you will either be humbled, or you will have the challenges of the next level to deal with. There is no finish line. You never get to the place where you know all that there is to know. If you do it long enough, and do it the right way, you will have a discipline and a set of skills you can get nowhere else. And the sense of pride that goes with that. Good Luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    You never get to the place where you know all that there is to know.
    There is no such place. It doesn't exist in any field, in any job, in any facet of life. Doctors, lawyers, computer techs, retail sales drones, locators, waiters, gas station attendants... There's ALWAYS something to learn. That's one of the things that appeals to me about this is learning. Learning another piece of the puzzle.

I would love to work at 1000 different careers to learn it all. Doctor, radio personality, judge, sheriff... There's simply not enough years. That is, until science invents a pill that grants immortality. But that'll take forever to test.

I work for Vannguard. I overheard the supervisor one day say that if they breathe and pass the drug test they are hired. It really makes me feel good knowing how I got hired years ago! If you want to increase your odds, look into Vannguard. Hehe

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

My personal opinion is this: When you get to your interview, if you can talk sensibly, write well and legibly, wear your pants around your waist and not your ass, don't slouch, have a good attitude, smile and be engaging then you have a very good chance of getting the job.

Things not to do during an interview: Act like you are doing them a favor by showing up. Saying yeah or uh-huh instead of yes. Dress like a gangsta (I feel like less of a person for just typing that word), Show up in your basketball uniform. Show up wearing a printed t-shirt and jeans. Having the same haircut as your favorite band.

I'm sure the list could go on but this is what I've noticed people do and I believe it affects their chances of getting hired.

So, if you are like the first paragraph, your odds are good. If you are like the 2nd paragraph, your odds are not so good. I'm just sayin'
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum flagthrower.

I Lovingly refer to this hiring practice as "The warm body theory". Minus my current employer, all of my previous employers believed in this theory.

Unfortunately with this practice you will have to brush up on your "Personal Hygeine" speeches, and your ability to track down a co-worker that has convienently disappeard and won't answer the phone, and the Don't bring your, kid,dog,iguana,prostitute to work on a daily basis speech. And for those of you who work privates and go out of town for work, the "you can't submit reciepts for alcohol and cigerettes for trip expenses" speech.

I wish I could say I was kidding about these speeches, but i've had to give them at least once, and the hygeine one I had to give more than once.

Mke

Part of my concern is the timeframe that all this has to happen in... According to the interviewer, the next class starts soon... Which doesn't leave a lot of time for ride-along, whiz quiz, background check, rubber stamping, etc.

Years of Experience

Seeker , I know this is frustrating, but you have to let things unfold. The contract outfits are notorious for leaving candidates hanging.

Most places are like that, and I understand... Just a desire to make a change and earn more for my family makes the wait kind of a pain.

If you are now employed don't expect to get enough notice to put in your 2 weeks at your current job. They are notorious for this aspect!

My current employer will not have much of a choice. I'll be willing to rearrange my schedule to accommodate the new schedule (should I receive one), and I would consider remaining on in a part-time capacity until a replacement is found and possibly longer. However, once any training is over, and any sort of on-call basis begins, that will trump whatever schedule my current place sets. It'll be overtime, and that's significantly more than what my hourly rate currently is.

I don't want to burn any bridges, but if it's necessary to better the life for my family I will.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast