Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What motivates you?

Years of Experience

Default What motivates you?

I just read an interesting article on motivation that got me thinking. [I]Here's the link if you are interested...

http://www.mckinseyquarterly.com/Motivating_people_Getting_beyond_money_2460

With Christmas and year end quickly approaching, I'm curious to get your take on incentive programs. I know that this has been discussed on the forum before, but perhaps we can ask the question another way.

We all know that money is tight right now, both for us and the companies for which we work. Additionally, we have all seen bonus programs come and go. But what other forms of incentive are out there? The article suggests non-monetary rewards. In fact, where I work, one-on-one meetings with senior leadership are a common reward for a job well done...as is being assigned to lead new projects. But focusing in on the role of a locator, what motivates you??? Is it strictly $$$ related? Or, is a GENUINE pat on the back meaningful enough? Or, maybe being assigned to sit on a task force to discuss root causes of damages???
    Last edited by MOJO; December 11th, 2009 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Link didn't post correctly. Please copy and paste into the address window of your browser.

Years of Experience

Default Re: What motivates you?

Here is a comment posted on the aforementioned article. It was written by a consultant for Ernst & Young.

"Often, the most demotivated employees are the ones working for silent senior managers that can never be seen around the office. Often these employees sit with unanswered questions about not only their personal job security but about the future existence of the firm...Employees can see through the uncertainty and nervousness in management’s eyes. "

WOW!!! Sounds earily familiar, doesn't it?

Years of Experience

having my self -worth called upon every now and then from upper manament does help motivate me!!! money is good too! ha!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

LOL....74 views and only one response...

I guess the $$$$ talks loudest!

Years of Experience

My family motivates me in life.

Most won't understand it, but simple Integrity motivates me in work.

If I take a man's (or company's) money for a job, I am bound by honor to do that job the best I can. If I am unhappy with said company, I am bound by honor to find another avenue of employ, but that doesn't mean I stop giving it my all while still drawing a wage from said company.

Hell, I guess I'm that way in everything I do. If I'm going to take the time to DO something, I'm going to do it RIGHT.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Years of Experience
    na

I have discovered in life that the most profound quotes are- "talk is cheap"

"action speaks louder than words"

So many toot their own as well as others horns so often as in politics, relations, virtue, religion and a countless assortment of areas that instead of trying to convince others of who they are, and what they stand for, its almost as if they attempt to convince themselves and of what others are lacking...

Fart fo thought... OOPS I meant food...

Last edited by USIC1; December 12th, 2009 at 10:41 AM.

Years of Experience
    na

Quote Originally Posted by MOJO View Post
    I just read an interesting article on motivation that got me thinking. [I]Here's the link if you are interested...

http://www.mckinseyquarterly.com/Motivating_people_Getting_beyond_money_2460

With Christmas and year end quickly approaching, I'm curious to get your take on incentive programs. I know that this has been discussed on the forum before, but perhaps we can ask the question another way.

We all know that money is tight right now, both for us and the companies for which we work. Additionally, we have all seen bonus programs come and go. But what other forms of incentive are out there? The article suggests non-monetary rewards. In fact, where I work, one-on-one meetings with senior leadership are a common reward for a job well done...as is being assigned to lead new projects. But focusing in on the role of a locator, what motivates you??? Is it strictly $$$ related? Or, is a GENUINE pat on the back meaningful enough? Or, maybe being assigned to sit on a task force to discuss root causes of damages???
    ****Take a page from the old school way of locating- where a roving lead is allowed to meet a less strict regime of quotas and floats to assist fellow locators depending on relavent needs and assistance...****

It would add to the team work factor of the job, and some improved technique, fundamentals, and knowledge enhancement...

Taking a step back from being under the laptop, cell minute use, accountability microscope to rekindle some frikin human interaction in the field...
    ***Although that new automated dispatch is a Godsend (press 2 if you dont want to accept)hello hello 2 hello hello 2 2 2 aaahhhh!!!****

So to some it up-

Team talk is a joke... There is no team... There is no interaction amongst fellow locators for the most part...I really dont know how you motivate(incentivize) by segregating???

In prison, segregation is implemented for bad behaviour, while in locating its incorporated to boost the bottom line but hardly a morale or incentive boosting model...

Luckily I m predisposed to flourish in an anti-social environment, and negative atmosphere(non drug and alcohol use seems to merit such a response for some)... I was a Marine you know...We re the ones that go over the edge, or is that just military in general...Nevertheless I think thats why I ve been doing locating so long...

But Good luck in your efforts... Jmho...

Merry Xmas
    Last edited by USIC1; December 12th, 2009 at 10:46 AM.

Interesting point USIC1...

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Semper FI usic1 and happy holidays to all. Maybe military and people who played sports have more a sense of teamwork. When i first started it irker me my supvisor talking teamwork but would be home by 3 pm and at home on weekends. I have seen one supervisor actually went out did a few tickets for guys. My team's turnover was ridulicoius. It did turn around when we got a solid core of locators and took pride in their work. We added quality people and taught them correct and got an excelent supervisor. When tickets were close guys did have lunch, we did do things outside of work. On project or tree plantings we grouped up on weekends to knock them out. We got split up and not the same sense anymore. They still tlk about teamwork and fmily and i just see it not there. To me it nows feels the same as an Okinawa bar girl who whispers sweet things in your ear and is touchy feely. The waitress brings waterdown overpriced drinks and at closing what happens? You go home with no money in your pocket and holding you own.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

So, Let me get this right. One of the Top 3 non-financial motivators is taking on more responsibility by leading some type of "job"? "you don't get a bonus this year, but i'll let you head the cable re-build in the burbs." Sounds fair.

The Top 2 things that motivate me....

1) Money
    2) Time

You don't want to give raises this year? thats fine, I've got over 100hrs of Vacation time to use, as well as 30+hrs of Personal time, not including 15days of Furlough.

You give me that much time to spend with my family, I don't care that i'm out a 3% Raise.

I Don't put Pride down as a motivator. Pride to me is what makes the difference between a crappy locator and a good locator. Pride doesn't lure me out of the Door at 4:30am everyday....Money does. Money To support the Family.

mke

I want to answer this question. When I walk into your place, I'm just looking for a job first of all. Then, I just want to say that natuarally all people have motivation, human desires for belonging, achievement, and for control and power over their work. In addition, they have desires for OWNERSHIP and meaning in their work. You can tap into this natural motivation and increase everyone's pocket book but first things first. People will not feel like working for you for long if you create an atmosphere full of company politics.
    Develop unclear expectations regarding your employees' performance.
    Create a lot of bullshit unnecessary rules for employees to follow.
    Plan unproductive tailgate safety meetings real freaking early in the morning and far away for employees to attend. This is really annoying for me.
    Promoting internal competition between employees like The locate Rodeo promotes. (That's a stupid idea in my opinion)
    Withhold information critical for employees(I like to call them business partners not employees) to perform their work. One thing I do differently in my business ventures is let my locators (business partners see the books and marketing plan. I give them the truck with no GPS (with magnets, not permanent paint and stickers) and let them use it as their own and as they decide and believe it or not they take better care of it and spend less gasoline so they can save it to travel on the weekends to fish or see their loved ones. Most are stealing gasoline from you anyway. If you tell them it is their gas to use, they won't use it! Incredible!
    Providing criticism instead of constructive feedback will demotivate my ass in any locating company.
    Tolerate poor performance so your high performing employees feel taken advantage of.
    Treat employees unfairly.
    Underutilizing the capability of your employees (business partners) is always a no,no.
    The future of locating looks much different than the structure we see now. I will enlighten you on a later post. Most of the companies I see in this forum advertised will not be around ten years from now if they do not change the way business is done. Some fresh minds are emerging and will change the industry from the bottom up. It;s not an opinion or wishful thinking, it's a fact. I wish you all the best and Merry Christmas to ya!

Years of Experience

Wow dude that was very good......
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Good stuff, welcome back John, haven't seen you around here in a while.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

You wrote a hell of a mouthful. WilYou be my new boss please?

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fockerson View Post
    You wrote a hell of a mouthful. WilYou be my new boss please?
    You have no idea what you are asking for Fockerson......Trust Me.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast