Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what is the maximum amount of hours locators can work per week?

Years of Experience

Default Re: what is the maximum amount of hours locators can work per week?

Quote Originally Posted by sagedog View Post
    This is a stressful profession; not to mention thankless. Contractors abuse the system on a regular basis so be prepared.
    Hey sage - Locating can be stressful, indeed. As far as thankless, only when it comes to upper-management types, support staff at all levels and most sups. To hear an "atta boy" from anyone above you in your company is rare. Savor their "atta boy's" when they come your way. Remember, one thousand "atta boys" qualifies you to be a leader of men, work overtime with a smile, explain assorted problems with management and be looked upon as a local hero; all without a raise in pay. Note: One "awshit" wipes the board clean and you have to start all over again.

But, contractors truly appreciate locators that throw accurate paint and make themselves available when questions arise or clarity is needed. If you are doing a good job, you will hear "atta boy" twenty to one from contractors verses boss man........

-----------------------------------------------------

I looked up the laws in Ohio. There are no OT laws. We had all the overtime we wanted (10 hours a day 5 days a week, then one weekend day for 8 was the 'suggested' minimum.) I would literally work sunup to sundown, come home, eat, then go to bed.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TMINTH View Post
    I looked up the laws in Ohio. There are no OT laws. We had all the overtime we wanted (10 hours a day 5 days a week, then one weekend day for 8 was the 'suggested' minimum.) I would literally work sunup to sundown, come home, eat, then go to bed.
    Not unusual for this industry.

I remember in the early '90s working 10 to 12 hour days 7 days a week for 8 weeks straight.

Sometimes I kept food, water, soda and several changes of clothes in the truck for the days I did not get home at all. The water was for a spray bottle that was a makeshift shower to clean myself up with in the morning. I worked so many hours I pulled the truck over and slept because not having drive time home gave more time to sleep. I would often sleep in a housing development site that was under construction so I woke up a right where the first jobs of the next day were. In one area I worked there was a closed down gas station that the cops used to park at night, slept there because I had a guard force.

I got enough sleep to be driving safely and made a lot of money.

Face it, in this business the money is made doing overtime.

Years of Experience

A few years ago, we had quite a few people get fired and quit. The ones that were left worked before the sun came up till after the sun went down. Same thing as Pro, 7 days a week, and there were times that my lunch time turned into a coma for a half hour due to exhaustion. I used to lock my doors, crack both windows, andark in one of the undeveloped garages that were waiting for inspection. On
    Y got asked what I was doing there once, and that was by the inspector.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12