Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is the maximum amount of hours locators can work per week?

Default what is the maximum amount of hours locators can work per week?

out of curiosity, thanks.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: what is the maximum amount of hours locators can work per week?

Quote Originally Posted by brokendreams View Post
    out of curiosity, thanks.
    You are asking a question that span many states and provinces and labor laws will vary.

How much are you willing to work? I have had 80 hour work weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    You are asking a question that span many states and provinces and labor laws will vary.

How much are you willing to work? I have had 80 hour work weeks.
    between 65-80 hours a week, is the average amt I would like to have in a year. I know that seems crazy but I used to work two jobs. I'll check the state quota on hours.

Quote Originally Posted by brokendreams View Post
    between 65-80 hours a week, is the average amt I would like to have in a year. I know that seems crazy but I used to work two jobs. I'll check the state quota on hours.
    there isn't a labor law that puts a quota on the amount of hours able to work in a week.

i asked a employee about this subject, he said it is possible to work as much as you want, but that he has seen many work themselves out of a job. - this true or b.s?

Years of Experience
    too many

usic is a bit different I have had crazy hours in dfw (have had more in ot then my regular pay) Alot depends on the sup and the dm IF the work is there and you are making production they will tell you to write your own check . if your doing so so , not so much.
    I will give you this advice.....take some of the ot you make during the busy season and stuff it away. when winter hits and its slow you'll be happy you did.

Mike's got a good point. There's an old saying that fits here at USIC " Cut hay while the sun's shining"!
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

The first year I worked for sm&p I averaged 70-75 hrs a week. Comcast decided to do a major upgrade project in the county I worked. that year I worked through the winter. As a new guy they may limit you o a 40 hr week since you will not be as productive. the hours one works depends on the ticket load. All the new hires I would tell them to figure on 8-12 hr days from March 1st to November 1st. Keep your Saturdays flexible.

To those employees that got fired for the OT it could be for several reasons. They might of been milking the OT. My supervisors have really not cared about OT as long as you were productive. I generally limit my OT to what I have on my board. In 2009 they limited the OT because of the drop of the ticket volume.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

The most i've personally got in a week was 86hrs. The company didn't complain so I could of tossed in more hours, but any more you start loosing daylight and your mind.

Besides, you'll see there is this imaginary level where you jump up a tax bracket and you will have to way the effort vs. the reward.

I had mine down to about 60hrs a week. That was the sweetspot. Up to 20hrs a pay period you would see a good boost in pay, after that you could toss another 10-20hrs onto it and it wouldn't jump up that fast.

Mke

More like when don't you work. As long as the sun is shining.

Years of Experience

Hey brokendreams - If the work is there, the overtime is there for those who want it. For many years with SM&P, I worked 1500 to 1900 overtime hours a year. I banked many hours of vacation time during those years. Since it's been USIC, it has been a little less than 500 overtime hours per year; most of that is during the summer. I'm sure I could work a little more overtime now if I wanted to, but I don't wanna............ 500 is good.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Depends on area and workload, last year at stake they cut ot in my area in july, but depends on your area, local economy etc.

Years of Experience

How many? However many you can cover before you fall asleep and crash your truck!

Seriously, don't get ahead of yourself friend. Be safe, and stay that way. The speed and the money will come.

I know you are anxious to work , but please take your time , learn the job properly , (i had shi**y training, if any really, learn from the good locators not the high production guys), there are lots of things to learn do the best you can, and don't burn out too fast, this is a stressful profession not to mention thankless. I covered over 120 miles in my area and let me tell you, you need to stay calm especially when you get that 4:00 emergency on Friday afternoon when you are almost home. only to get there and find it is not an emergency at all, contractors abuse the system on a regular basis so be prepared.By the way I get paid from the time I leave in the AM (company mandated 8 am, until I finish my last locate, so the ride home is unpaid then the 1/2 hour or so of computer BS ,also unpaid)

And if you sock that OT away and invest it wisely you CAN end up like me @ 50 -

Cuttin down trees for firewood on pops back 7 acres...

Eatin good and carousing Wallys whenever...

I might just decide to empty all my plastic storage containers stacked in the sunroom and retire early!?!?

hhaaaa !!!

6 months later and a Wallyworld floozy...

"brother can you spare a dime" !?

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sagedog View Post
    I know you are anxious to work , but please take your time , learn the job properly , (i had shi**y training, if any really, learn from the good locators not the high production guys), there are lots of things to learn do the best you can, and don't burn out too fast, this is a stressful profession not to mention thankless. I covered over 120 miles in my area and let me tell you, you need to stay calm especially when you get that 4:00 emergency on Friday afternoon when you are almost home. only to get there and find it is not an emergency at all, contractors abuse the system on a regular basis so be prepared.By the way I get paid from the time I leave in the AM (company mandated 8 am, until I finish my last locate, so the ride home is unpaid then the 1/2 hour or so of computer BS ,also unpaid)
    My firm does it the legal way. You are not allowed to begin your ride home until all your other work, like on the computer, is finished. Only then can you log out on your time sheet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast