Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is a good pay scale for a Locator.

Chicagoman

Default What is a good pay scale for a Locator.

What do you think is a good pay rate (hourly rate) for a Locator with two year experence?

I say $15.00 per hr.

Default Re: What is a good pay scale for a Locator.

Depends on their capabilities. Just because you have 2 years doesn't mean you are worth more money. Pay should be based on skill, damage ratio, willingness to work, team player... etc. Just putting your time in shouldn't be reason for pay standards.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsygirl View Post
    Depends on their capabilities. Just because you have 2 years doesn't mean you are worth more money. Pay should be based on skill, damage ratio, willingness to work, team player... etc. Just putting your time in shouldn't be reason for pay standards.

Well said.

Time on the job does not dictate ability.

Chicagoman

Quote Originally Posted by gypsygirl View Post

Good point. With all of what you have said. What do you think a good locator should get paid (per hour)

Chicagoman

Dont forget the cost of living.

As I have stated before... I think that locators should have a licensing and/or certification requirement just like other skilled trades have. Apprenticeship programs start low and graduate to higher levels based on preset qualifications. This should be the same for locators. Given that... newbies also shouldn't be required or expected to take on extremely difficult locates ... this is something that they work up to. That type of work could however be done by a newbie if they were overseen by a "journeyman" locator to help them gain the experience.

I think a 4 or 5 year program should be required, followed by an exam and field testing in order to certify/license a locator.. thus making them ... for better lack of words... a journeyman locator. There would be a standardized minimum expected pay for this level of skill. One could then move up to lead tech... etc...

Pay scales must also take into account the cost of living in different regions... ie.. you can't expect to make the same wages in lets say.. CA or New York City as you would in smalltown.. USA.

As it stands now... there is no standardization in our industry... So... my question would be ... what is the company's pay scale? Base starting rate to maximum pay.... do you really think 2 years is going to get someone even close to maximum... they have barely gotten their feet wet. IMHO... don't expect to make "the money" until you have put in a minimum of 4 - 5 good, hard working years.

This is THE big question isn't it. Especially in the urban areas such as Chicagoland.

If the staring pay is $12-$13 in Chicago, for example, good luck finding an apartment, decent living has rent starting around $1000 a month & goes from there. Then you have to live, food, gas, elec, phone etc. Can't do it. So you have to look at what kind of applicants do you get. You get what you pay for. Sure you find a good one here & there but we all know you always hire 10 hoping 2 make it a year.

That problem isn't as prevelant in rural areas. $13 is different in Arkansas than in Chicago. So cost of living has to be factored in.

I believe "utility locator" should be recognized as a profession, certified, etc, etc. To answer the question at hand, for the urban areas like Chicago, I think starting pay should be in the $15-$16 range. You get what you pay for.

Unfortunately, they way contract locate company contracts are currently written, the companies cannot make a change like that & still be financially responsible. Therefore we would need by-in from the utilities to pay more in the contracts. We then in turn would have to promise to be more efficient, i.e less damages, better COTP, less customer complaints, etc, to offset the costs.

That is a pretty hard sell when your customer is always pissed because of, pick your problem of the day...

damages, staffing, cotp, safety, etc, etc.

We need to fix those problems before we ask for more money. We can't fix the problems because were understaffed, have too much turnover, too many newbies in the field, etc, etc...Pick your excuse of the day.

That's the vicious cycle we've been in over the last few years. That's just my opinion, I could be wrong. Those who know me know I'm just smart enough to get myself in trouble. Smarter men than me will have to figure out the big issues. Until then all we can do is handle the small stuff that's in front of us.

...or not.
    Last edited by frostypeters; July 2nd, 2008 at 06:59 PM.
    Why does a round pizza come in a square box?

Chicagoman

I agree with both of you on these issue. But this will never happen unless the local goverment gets involved. I dont think that going to ever happen. Unless something big happens (like a really big damage happens) Or the Locator's stand up and demand this to happen by getting organized. Which from what I have seen and read on this forum will never happen.

Newbies: $15.00 to start

Five years: $17.50

10 years: $20.00

15 years: $25.00

20 years: $30.00

Of course, this is a basic scale for minimum standards. Base on what gypsy said from here up.

Chicagoman

Quote Originally Posted by LocatingLarry View Post
    Newbies: $15.00 to start

Five years: $17.50

10 years: $20.00

15 years: $25.00

20 years: $30.00

Of course, this is a basic scale for minimum standards. Base on what gypsy
    said from here up.
    Larry thanks for simple answer. Sometimes thats hard to get around here LOL. Do you know anyone who has worked 20 years. I dont think I could make it. LOL

Chicagoman

By the way what the is deal with Gypsy She has sent me some weird message. I think she has the wrong person.
    Last edited by Chicagoman; July 2nd, 2008 at 08:47 PM.

Years of Experience
    na

I hate to step on another post involving how a union could establish a reasonable process when it comes to wages...

So I wont...

I ll let Mr Peanut dictate it...

Lets see a typical phone tech makes what$?$?$?$

And has how much at stake twisting some pairs together???

A typical electrical service worker makes how much and gets what kind of benefits for working at a power company???
    And yes there life is at stake but they get a pretty penny for what they have to lose...

How bout my stake in keeping up those 750s that feed a hospital or block of businesses???

And all those phone lines serving our saving grace lotto establishments???

Oh yeah 15$ an hr makes sense...WHY NOT!!! and the benefits WOW!!! to that to...

Last edited by USIC1; July 3rd, 2008 at 12:01 AM.

Years of Experience

a good locater with 2 years...................8.00 hour.........what???

Been locating for 4 months in wisconsin. Starting wage: $11.50. Catching on fast, plenty of potential. Can anybody tell me, ballpark, when and what the first raise is looking like?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicagoman View Post
    What do you think is a good pay rate (hourly rate) for a Locator with two year experence?

I say $15.00 per hr.
    In PA, CLS is union. I've been locating for almost 13 years (starting with the former No Cuts). Some of us would like nothing more than get rid of the union. Top rate is only $17.51/ hr. Salary should be based on performance. I've had one damage in the past 4 years. I make the same as someone with 4 damages in the past year. I'm hoping that this "merger" with SM&P changes things. By the way USIC= U Say It's Clear

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast