Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cuda

Thread: What exactly is a sonde?

Years of Experience

Default What exactly is a sonde?

sonde2.jpg

OK,,so a battery powered sonde generates a traceable signal, would a couple of inch of a coil of copper wires act the same as a sonde if we attach a transmitter generated signal to the it?

TIA

Years of Experience

Default Re: What exactly is a sonde?

Nor really you would have to have a wire going down the conduit to connect to the end/sonde. The main reason I use one is to know the exact position of the sonde. Your method would be basically the same as a locatable rodder or fish tape.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by orangeboots View Post
    Nor really you would have to have a wire going down the conduit to connect to the end/sonde. The main reason I use one is to know the exact position of the sonde. Your method would be basically the same as a locatable rodder or fish tape.
    I had fabricated a make shift locatable rodder by attaching a copper wire to a 120m rodder, heat shrink them together and that seems to work well. I was thinking since I already have a wire going to the very tip of the rodder, how about having a make shift sonde at the end there by soldering that wire to a coil of copper? I'll give this a go eventually just for the heck of it to see if it works..Would it?

Years of Experience
    a few

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie View Post
    I had fabricated a make shift locatable rodder by attaching a copper wire to a 120m rodder, heat shrink them together and that seems to work well. I was thinking since I already have a wire going to the very tip of the rodder, how about having a make shift sonde at the end there by soldering that wire to a coil of copper? I'll give this a go eventually just for the heck of it to see if it works..Would it?
    The problem with making a sonde with a coil of wire is that it will be flat probably and create false peaks so you will be able to find it and it's better than nothing but will be far from accurate for a trace because of the pattern the sonde will create. Now if you can stand the coil up so that it is horizontal to it's axis it would create a null sonde and if you set your locator to null it would actually work and be accurate.
    Newbie likes this.