Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does The Vine think of the G2 Verifier, a digital locator by Mclaughlin?

Senior Member CableAvoidanceTool's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default What does The Vine think of the G2 Verifier, a digital locator by Mclaughlin?

What does The Vine think of the G2 Verifier, a digital locator by Mclaughlin?

http://www.mitchellinstrument.com/ve...e-locator.html
    http://mightymole.com/index.php?opti...d=68&Itemid=84

The transmitter supposedly contains some sort of advanced noise filtering technology which attempts to reduce bleed off onto other utilities much better than other locators out there. I spoke to a locator who, in his personal humble opinion, exclaimed that "The verifier kicks the Rd's ass any day of the week."

He said that the transmitter also is the best drop box (meaning general induction mode) that he's ever used. He recounted a story where he dropped on a 2" steel gas main and the water locator from the town had already located a 8" copper water line only 18" away from where his measurement put him for his 2" steel gas main... and his verifier transmitter ONLY picked up the 2" steel gas...

After hearing that quote I knew I had to appeal to my fellow Viners about thier opinions on this piece of equipment. Personally I have not heard of it before. I can easily find metrotech and RD products on ebay but I have not found any verifiers there yet, I wonder if this means they are much less popular?

Also it seems that the clamps are sold seperately and each is based on a single frequency, for example if you want to use 33khz with your clamp mode you would need the specific 33khz clamp they sell, and if you wanted to use 84khz you would need the 84khz clamp. If I remember correctly the RD clamp works with multiple frequencies right?

I've been paintin', sprayin', and prayin' for long enough to know that EVERY instrument bleeds off to some extent, just some more than others (Metrotech 810 anyone?). But, I wanted to see what ya'll thought of this particular piece of equipment and the company itself too.

Years of Experience

Default Re: What does The Vine think of the G2 Verifier, a digital locator by Mclaughlin?

why does it look like that guy is dropping the box? why would you trust something that it seems you have to drop the box? i prefer direct connect... that thing just looks strange... i probably would not use it
    "What Are You Doin!?!? GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!"
    you have entered a restricted area

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What does The Vine think of the G2 Verifier, a digital locator by Mclaughlin?

Why isn't he using paint? The flags don't look lined up either. He doesn't seem to have any paint on his boots. I'm thinking this guy doesn't know how to locate.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Cmon guys... It's obvious this photo was taken for advertising purposes. Being that he's 10' or less away from his transmitter the only thing he'd be locating is the box itself.

"Also it seems that the clamps are sold seperately and each is based on a single frequency, for example if you want to use 33khz with your clamp mode you would need the specific 33khz clamp they sell, and if you wanted to use 84khz you would need the 84khz clamp. If I remember correctly the RD clamp works with multiple frequencies right?"

This is absolutely ridiculous.... Like any company is going to invest $1200 in 3 clamps for each verifier they own. This is obviously a marketing ploy to rape the buyer, as there's no reason they couldn't make a clamp that's compatible with all frequencies.

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

That thing looks like it weighs a ton.

Years of Experience

I've never heard of it!!!! ?????
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by FiosKing View Post
    why does it look like that guy is dropping the box? why would you trust something that it seems you have to drop the box? i prefer direct connect... that thing just looks strange... i probably would not use it
    Because in some situations there is no nearby connection point. Like a pipe line or cable line only marked by marker posts.
    Sometimes I induce an area just to see if there is something else in there I missed with direct connect mode.
    I just used induction mode to separate two the signals on two different companies fiber optic where they came within 18" of each other.
    Dropping the box, induction mode, is a critical feature of any locate equipment. This feature must put out a good, strong signal.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

like you said it is clearly an advertisement photo. The receiver does look like it weigh a ton. i would call a distributor for a demo model to test out or to come out and demo it. I do not like having to lugs around serveral clamps for different freqs. Eventually there will probably losre one or damage it.

Years of Experience

There doesn't seem to be anything special about this piece of equipment. The highest frequency it will put out is 38khz. That will have less bleed off than the metrotech 810- 83khz, but on the flip side it will jump less dressers, turn less laterals, and put a signal on fewer facilities. That transmitter is pretty big for a 3 watt max transmitter. If that's what you are looking for there are probably better machines out there for induction. After all, if this machine was so awesome, you would think at least a few companies might be using it.

If you want a not so unbiased opinion, I believe that this locator was evaluated by Underground Focus last year. They also evaluated several others, who must have all paid to be in the article because none of the industry leaders were put in the mix for comparison.

I haven't used a verifier since 1998, but, in my eyes, they will always be the king of Junk.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Because in some situations there is no nearby connection point. Like a pipe line or cable line only marked by marker posts.
    Sometimes I induce an area just to see if there is something else in there I missed with direct connect mode.
    I just used induction mode to separate two the signals on two different companies fiber optic where they came within 18" of each other.
    Dropping the box, induction mode, is a critical feature of any locate equipment. This feature must put out a good, strong signal.

i understand that but there is a ped right behind it lol
    "What Are You Doin!?!? GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!"
    you have entered a restricted area

I've never seen it, never heard of it so therefore never used one. My opinion on this would be worthless and uneducated based on the subject.

Just look at this picture. No paint, crooked marks. Hes inducing not even 10' from the box. A contractor would tear him alive with cuts. Take up the flags and say what flags? Those photos you have are photoshopped. This picture should be used to train new guys on what never to do on a locate. Ask them whats wrong with this picture? Plus a clean white polo and blue jeans. That don't last an hour in the field when you get to potholing to verify a line or down in a ditch with a foreman of a construction company to clamp a telephone line.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2RUDE View Post
    Cmon guys... It's obvious this photo was taken for advertising purposes. Being that he's 10' or less away from his transmitter the only thing he'd be locating is the box itself.
    I know. I felt like being a smartass.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast