Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By TheCableVine
  • 1 Post By The Marlboro Man
  • 1 Post By superman
  • 2 Post By yahoo

Thread: What do you do with bad address tickets?

Years of Experience

Default What do you do with bad address tickets?

Just curious as to see how other locators deal with a bad address. Sometimes a contractor will call in the sw corner of intersection (area marked in white), but you get there and the white paint is on the nw corner. Do you marked both or just what the tickets says or cancel due to bad address? Also, you may get a ticket for 8th St, but it was actually meant to be 8th Ave. What do you do with that? Just figured I would start some controversy!!!

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What do you do with bad address tickets?

I'll call and verify that what they really want is not what is written on the ticket. I'll then mark out what they are really looking for. Usually somebody else wants a ticket with the correct information so they end up calling in another ticket and I've already done it so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

If the job is a hassle I'll call and tell them I'm cancelling their ticket and I need one with the correct information. I make it clear that I'm not locating anything. I note it on the ticket and turn it in as a site visit. Sometimes the contractor doesn't call in an update which is cool with me cause now I don't have to deal with a Pain in the A** locate.
    yahoo likes this.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

this was covered in the last one-call meeting I attended. The rep from the state board was specific that the written ticked is a legal document and that needs to be located upon all else. The example that was used was a ticket that stated to mark an intersection +500' in all directions area marked in white. They asked if they should locate the white paint or the stated footage. The rep and the local board members insisted the verbal discription is more important then the white paint.

Since that was said, I would have them recall all tickets that don't match to what is seen in the field.

mke

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    this was covered in the last one-call meeting I attended. The rep from the state board was specific that the written ticked is a legal document and that needs to be located upon all else. The example that was used was a ticket that stated to mark an intersection +500' in all directions.
    mke
    That is another example of a bad ticket. 500 feet in all directions of an intersection is actually 4000 feet of locating when you count both sides in all directions. There should be 4 tickets for that intersection.

Here in IN, the maximum allowed per ticket is 1500 feet in the city and 2500 feet in rural areas. If you want both sides of the road, then you are only allowed to call in for 750 feet per ticket, 1250 in rural areas. Also no more than 5 addresses per ticket is allowed.
    Last edited by The Marlboro Man; November 9th, 2013 at 11:55 AM.
    phoenix827 likes this.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by The Marlboro Man View Post
    Just curious as to see how other locators deal with a bad address. Sometimes a contractor will call in the sw corner of intersection (area marked in white), but you get there and the white paint is on the nw corner. Do you marked both or just what the tickets says or cancel due to bad address? Also, you may get a ticket for 8th St, but it was actually meant to be 8th Ave. What do you do with that? Just figured I would start some controversy!!!
    For sites where the instructions are unclear or conflict with directions given, site, white lines etc. in Virginia there is a response code for that. Code it out as such and put no marks down. As I explain to the excavator if they update the ticket the next locator we send may not be the same one and they may mark the wrong area. Equally locators from other firms may mark the wrong area and not have called you becasue they misunderstood. Need a new ticket.

In Virginia there is a fine if we mark an address not on the ticket and leave the given address unmarked. Again an update of this ticket causes further problems. There is a code for bad address, code it as such and do not mark anything.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by The Marlboro Man View Post
    Here in IN, the maximum allowed per ticket is 1500 feet in the city and 2500 feet in rural areas. If you want both sides of the road, then you are only allowed to call in for 750 feet per ticket, 1250 in rural areas. Also no more than 5 addresses per ticket is allowed.
    I locate Northwest Indiana and I get tickets almost every day that are outside the footage limit. The one call usually doesn't care if it's over the limit, at least for the tickets I'm getting. I'm just glad that most of my bore crews will call in a new locate for every turn and intersection they come too.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by PureOwnage View Post
    I locate Northwest Indiana and I get tickets almost every day that are outside the footage limit. The one call usually doesn't care if it's over the limit, at least for the tickets I'm getting. I'm just glad that most of my bore crews will call in a new locate for every turn and intersection they come too.
    Virginia has a response code for tickets beyond the limit for footage per ticket. Code it out and that is the end, no marking.

Years of Experience

What are we supposed to do? Mark what the ticket says.
    What actually happens? make a phone call, inform the contractor that the description on the ticket dosen't match whats actually there and that they will not be covered if the dig outside the w/ on the ticket. Most don't care as long as there are marks where they dig but a few will actually do it right and call for a new ticket.

Years of Experience
    too many

I know it is a pain in the a,, but i go ahead and mark what the ticket says this way when the contractor is someplace else and the get into a bunch of goodies and say we called in ticket #......... i can safely and legally say here you go it marked..not my problem you did not call in the correct area !

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinnella View Post
    I know it is a pain in the a,, but i go ahead and mark what the ticket says this way when the contractor is someplace else and the get into a bunch of goodies and say we called in ticket #......... i can safely and legally say here you go it marked..not my problem you did not call in the correct area !
    Meets the technicality of what we do but not the purpose. We are here fist and foremost to protect the life and limb of the public, protecting utilities from a damage we would be liable for is incidental.

I always let the excavator know they need a new ticket even if I have to mark else where.

Years of Experience

I find the best way is to get in contact with the contractor and inform him that the ticket was called wrong, but if they call in a ticket for the right address I will do my best to mark that ticket within the hour if it's not to far away.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Meets the technicality of what we do but not the purpose. We are here fist and foremost to protect the life and limb of the public, protecting utilities from a damage we would be liable for is incidental.

I always let the excavator know they need a new ticket even if I have to mark else where.
    Pro, I realize that what you say is the right way, but if we had the time to babysit the excavators all the time as you are basically suggesting, we would never get anything done. I know you are, or have been in management, and it really shows. Usually when you talk with the excavator about a ticket, they say, oh I need this and that marked too since your here. Sorry, don't have time for all that crap. Do what the ticket says and move on. If it's a bad address, clear it out as such and move on especially if you have the positive response system.
    phoenix827 likes this.

Years of Experience

depends on what type of mood I am in at that moment ....
    EricB and phoenix827 like this.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

These are some of my favorite tickets, as in my opinion, I will not mark them. I go on the presumption that the people (homeowners, contractors, excavators) are the ones who benefit from calling in a locate request. Whether financially or otherwise.

I believe it is solely up to them to make sure that everything about a locate request is as accurate as possible. In a positive response state, in a perfect world, whoever called in that request should get my response as a bad address. And it is up to them at that point to either call me up and find out why I coded that way or they can cancel that one and call in a new, correct ticket.

I try and call when I can and when I feel it is most prudent to do so.

Years of Experience

If the ticket has incorrect information, contact the contractor by whatever means. Make sure you record the conversation to CYA. Inform them of the incorrect information on the ticket and that they need to call in a new/update ticket, so that the poor souls marking the other utilities may be notified as well.

I then delay the ticket adding copious notes (again to CYA). I hold on to this ticket until is is updated, revised or cancelled.

As a locator, our job is two-fold. We must protect the utility, and we must protect the company we work for. And to CYA we must do our due dilligence and document it.

I have found that most excavators are grateful for the heads up about the messed-up ticket. If they try to tell me what I should be marking, I politely stop them and tell them I can only mark what is on the tickey, since the ticket is wrong, you need to fix it. I will not allow my company to be held liable for a damage for a locate that was performed on a ticket that has the wrong information on it.

But in the instance that you get one of those guys that just refuses to corrrect the problem, make sure you document and if possible record any conversations you have. The excavator is required to do his due dilligence as well. If your documentation can prove that he did not, then no court of law will ever find you or your company liable for any damage that occurs.
    Last edited by PokerAdam; November 13th, 2013 at 09:00 AM.