Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to do with the empties?

Years of Experience

Default Re: What to do with the empties?

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    let me know what type of money is involved........and i may start collecting them.......
    Last I knew steel is about a penny a pound, not gonna get rich doing this, but scrap and pocket change paid for my vacation this year, gonna try it again for next year!

OK, I admit it....I'm not above chucking an empty in the woods. I only do it when nobody's looking and I'm nowhere near the truck...I hate carrying the empty around in my back pocket! (I'll carry the full one...it's good for something!)

But for the vast majority of empties, I collect them and put them upside-down in the boxes they came in. When we have our "meet site" for supplies, we give all of our trash to the sup. Where it goes from there, I'm not sure....but probably in a construction dumpster somewhere.

I like collecting them because it gives me a good idea of how much I'm going through and how much I'll need for the next couple of weeks. Right now I go through about 2 boxes of orange every couple weeks, and a half box of both red & yellow. Roughly 36 cans every two weeks, averages out to about 3 1/2 cans per day. Most of my area is a three-way but a lot of it is rural, so tel is the only utility that is EVERYWHERE.
    Last edited by duke; October 5th, 2008 at 11:50 PM.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I'd like to start a can recycling program at work, just don't know how to get started. I know we go thru 25 cases of paint a month. That is alot of cans ending up in the landfill.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience
    30+

I like collecting them because it gives me a good idea of how much I'm going through and how much I'll need for the next couple of weeks. Right now I go through about 2 boxes of orange every couple weeks, and a half box of both red & yellow. Roughly 36 cans every two weeks, averages out to about 2 1/2 cans per day. Most of my area is a three-way but a lot of it is rural, so tel is the only utility that is EVERYWHERE.[/QUOTE]

Duke,

I go through a case of red and half a case of orange every week. I am a sup. I guess when I locate I want enough paint on the ground.

Years of Experience

The sups used to toss the empties in a dumpster at the office. The trash company we contracted squeezed a load in their compactor and the natural gas propellant in the cans got sucked into the intake breather. The engine reved up so high the motor exploded! Then it happened a second time! The trash company declined to haul off any more of the trash at my office after the second incident.

My Kansas City District office now has a hazardous waste company dispose of our empties. It ain't cheap. The Noobs in training take the turned in empty cans and one by one arrange them in a 4' square plastic lined box the waste company provides. The Noobs shake the cans and save the ones that are re-useable. It's amazing how many cases of cans that are barely used get tossed by locators every week!

Years of Experience
    na

I remember at Byers we had to turn in our emptys to get new cases...

The days of manifests with rulers and colored pens...

EEEWWWW...

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    It's amazing how many cases of cans that are barely used get tossed by locators every week!
    Ya, when I started saving the ones with "a bit" in the bottom, I was AMAZED how fast I got 10-12 cases full! Now I try to use them up on clears and stuff.

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Our manager recently blew a gasket when the recycling company pick up guy told him they loved coming to our shop because they got all the paint they needed for free.

Now we have someone doing spot checks to see if it is still occuring.
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

I heard of a garbage truck catching on fire in a district up here a few years back. oops.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience
    retired

... And that's how he started being called "Orange-leg Dave"~! ROFL

I am fairly conscientious about my empties... I save up the cans (upside-down to tell which are used up) in their boxes then stack them up occasionally in my garage. Then even more occasionally than that, I will dump the boxes out into blue bags for garbage day. By the way, if anyone really wants to know, 4 cases (48 cans) will comfortably fill up a single blue bag.
    "Aye, verily hath I spoken." - Thor, god of thunder

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by wet_boots101 View Post
    ... By the way, if anyone really wants to know, 4 cases (48 cans) will comfortably fill up a single blue bag.
    THAT'S why I have to crush them! lol I got 4 cases of crushed empties to fit in one empty case. Maybe this weekend I will get the pics up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12