Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheCableVine

Thread: What to charge?!?!?!

Years of Experience

Default What to charge?!?!?!

I'm struggling to understand how these companies are charging 5,000+ for a day of Locating..I'm at $75 an hour and everyone thinks I'm crazy cheap. What should I be charging and what all can I bill for? This blows my mind..

Years of Experience
    30+

Default Re: What to charge?!?!?!

$250 was the going rate 5 years ago.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Depends on the services offered. Our GPR rates were higher then our basic locate rates. When I was doing it, I was billing out at $60 an hour for locating, $100 an hour for video inspection and I believe we were in the $200 range for the GPR. Most of my big billings like the 5k was due to Travel time and a their need for it immediately. If they needed the locates immediately, we charged double the rate. These usually came out to the 3K for just locating.

You'll find that a lot of these 5k bills are pre-negotiated and they typically are involving some government contract. I remember being told by my boss that this one job was for the Federal EPA and the contractor could care less of price. So, every time we went to the site we billed 3k. We had the break down... it was some thing like 8hours for travel and 10hours for site time at like $160... I don't know if my math adds up but it has been over 8 years since I was doing that type of work.

mke

Years of Experience

Default What to charge?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle C View Post
    What should I be charging and what all can I bill for?
    Greetings Kyle! There is an ex-SM&P locator that has been doing private locating in the 4 state area surrounding beautiful Kansas City. He has been my buddy for close to 20 years and has been on his own successfully performing private locates for all those 20 years. My buddy has been on speed dial since day 1 performing private locates with all the major players within 150 miles of Kansas City who deep dig daily. My buddy wants me to work for him but I'm too entrenched in my postage-stamp area with USIC.

PM me for my buddy's phone number if you want kick around some ideas for pricing points from a guy who has been doing only private locating for the past two decades. Luv Ya Man!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

When I did private locates several years ago I charged 50 bucks and hour. That was on the low end for what I could get around here but I didn't want to deal with big projects so I just did the quick jobs like finding sprinkler control lines or propane lines and such for homeowners. I would often tell people no if they wanted me to find "everything" in an area. I didn't want the responsibility of getting a damage on something I didn't know was there.

That probably doesn't help you much but homeowners aren't going to fork out $150 an hour for finding a wire in their yard. I guess the bigger the client, the bigger the bill.
    Wingfoot likes this.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

100 dollars per job if it had metal as a conductor and was no longer than 100 ft or so . also I had to be able to see both ends , coming up out of the ground and going into the ground. I would locate like Steve would .
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato