Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weatherman.... ideal job?

Default Weatherman.... ideal job?

A few days ago it wasn't suppose to start snowing until noon, it started at 8 am. Then it was suppose to be extremely cold, high of 5.... it got up to 20. We were suppose to get a major ice storm starting at noon yesterday. Then it was moved to 3pm... 6pm... then 8 pm... with thunder storms included... "prepare for downed power lines and outages" system was to last through noon today.

No thunder... the system, when I last looked at radar, has passed us and although I have not ventured outside yet, does not appear to be as bad as what was forecasted. Although I lost my CATV this morning around 5:15, and schools have cancelled classes, that seems to be the extent of it.

I should have been a weatherman! What job can you consistently goof up on and turn around and blame it on someone else (Mother Nature)! I get better information from my neighbor with arthritis and the farmers almanac!

Okay... I feel better now.... thanks for letting me vent!

Default Re: Weatherman.... ideal job?

What job can you consistently goof up on and turn around and blame it on someone else

USIC Management maybe?
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Well, we got snow finally a pretty good dump. Along with it came COOOOLLLLD weather!

Minus 33 degrees today with a very slight wind.

Yesterday, the dispatcher was looking for people to take today off. I said no.
    Then this morning I phoned and asked if it was to late to take the day off.
    She laughed her ass off!

WHAT A WIMP I am !!!!
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Years of Experience
    30+

UG
    Thanks for the PM. Right now it is a warm 78 degrees, sun is out, slight wind. I spent my day dealing with R I F's, I did route audits and quality audits for what crew I have left. I feel for those folks who lost their jobs this week. We lost 14 locators.

Being in Florida, I have only seen snow 1 time and that was in 1977 when it snowed her in Tampa. So everyone who lives in a snow state, I could never tell you I feel for you. I know these warm Christmas's when you can go to the beach on x-mas day. I have been out on my boat and tubed on x-mas day.

Gypsy, UG, USIC1, S&P, Steve, Wing, IFIUG, Shovel, BH, GB, RM, Yahoo, BBM, and eveyone else, I hope ya'll and all the Viners have a Safe and Happy Holidays.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Thanks so much. You have a good Christmas and new years as well... and wear sunscreen.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Update from early this morning... well.. it took me over 30 minutes to get the ice off my truck and I couldn't get the driver's door open. I finally was able to get the passenger side open and had to pull the handle and kick the driver's door from the inside to unstick it from being frozen shut. So... maybe it was a bit worse than I had originally posted. But still... nothing like was predicted.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Thanks, and back at ya UULC. Hope Santa takes good care of you this year.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gypsygirl View Post
    Update from early this morning... well.. it took me over 30 minutes to get the ice off my truck and I couldn't get the driver's door open. I finally was able to get the passenger side open and had to pull the handle and kick the driver's door from the inside to unstick it from being frozen shut. So... maybe it was a bit worse than I had originally posted. But still... nothing like was predicted.
    With Ice, that is always a good thing.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by UULC View Post
    Being in Florida, I have only seen snow 1 time and that was in 1977 when it snowed here in Tampa. I know these warm Christmas's when you can go to the beach on x-mas day. I have been out on my boat and tubed on x-mas day.

Gypsy, UG, USIC1, S&P, Steve, Wing, IFIUG, Shovel, BH, GB, RM, Yahoo, BBM, and eveyone else, I hope ya'll and all the Viners have a Safe and Happy Holidays.
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your's also!

I was on a well earned vacation to Orlando the last week of December 2000 thru 3 January 2001. The weather was wonderful until 29 January 2000 when the northern cold front caught up with me. The record low on New Years Eve before my arrival was 36 degrees. At 10 pm that night I was watching the parade at the top of Main Street USA right in front of Cinderella Castle wearing my Kansas City winter clothes in 26 degree temperature! My only comfort was knowing it was a deep freeze back home.

Hope you have a great Christmas too. Watch out for them damn red ants (little bastards), and gators. I'll sit back in my lazy boy, and look out at the 10 inches of snow on the ground and ponder a Florida vacation someday.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

My wife and I have spent more christmases away from home in some tropical destination than we have at home.

I still find it odd though when I hear "I'm dreaming of a white christmas" playing in a store in whatever warm spot I am in and its +80F outside. Makes me laugh!

Staying home this year for Christmas and it will be darned cold - somewhere around minus 30. Have not seen these kinds of temps in a lot of years. Will someone PLEASE bring back GLOBAL WARMING!!!

Have a great Christmas wherever in this great continent you find yourselves and best wishes for 2009 everyone!

Ive never gone anywhere warm during the winter months. My theory is.. if you go 'away' somewhere and its so nice and warm etc... its gonna end, and you get to come back to your 'real' life, which now SUCKS.. cause its cold and wet etc.

If I dont actually know its nicer over there.. then Im happier here ( i think)
    (May you live in interesting times)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave72 View Post
    Ive never gone anywhere warm during the winter months. My theory is.. if you go 'away' somewhere and its so nice and warm etc... its gonna end, and you get to come back to your 'real' life, which now SUCKS.. cause its cold and wet etc.

If I dont actually know its nicer over there.. then Im happier here ( i think)

Hey Dave, heard something on the news today.

2008 is the FIRST years since 1971 that every province in Canada will have a white Christmas. Shuks and I really was looking forward to golfing Christmas day...damn!!

Holy crap, I sure hope this cold snap disappears sooner rather than later. Yesterday was the first day of winter and already I want it over!

At the moment I am kinda thinking we were sold a bill of goods on this whole global warming thing!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by UULC View Post
    UG
    Thanks for the PM. Right now it is a warm 78 degrees, sun is out, slight wind. I spent my day dealing with R I F's, I did route audits and quality audits for what crew I have left. I feel for those folks who lost their jobs this week. We lost 14 locators.

Being in Florida, I have only seen snow 1 time and that was in 1977 when it snowed her in Tampa. So everyone who lives in a snow state, I could never tell you I feel for you. I know these warm Christmas's when you can go to the beach on x-mas day. I have been out on my boat and tubed on x-mas day.

merry christmas and happy new year to you UULC !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Quote Originally Posted by underground quester View Post
    Minus 33 degrees today with a very slight wind.
    good god. that kind of climate would put me in shock.
    "The truth is rarely pure and never simple"-Oscar Wilde

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast