Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wingfoot

Thread: Want to buy an American Car?

Years of Experience

Default Want to buy an American Car?

Get a Toyota. Only 10 cars made the list this year.

Here’s the full list:

Ford F-150

Toyota Camry

Honda Odyssey

Toyota Sienna

Toyota Tundra

Toyota Avalon

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray

Honda Ridgeline

Honda Crosstour

Dodge SRT Vip

--------------------------------

Are 'American' cars going extinct? | Fox News

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Want to buy an American Car?

Over years of experience I have developed my own criteria for a vehicle.

Rear wheel drive only. FWD has too many moving parts and makes a too cramped an engine bay. Have higher breakdown rates, higher repair costs. Also what a shade tree mechanic can do on many RWD needs for most to be done in a shop. Changing the engine or transmission on a FWD can be done at home but requires specialized equipment and more know how. I have changed the trans in a RWD at the curbside and with no special equipment.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Me too.

#1) Not a GM product that obumma helped out with my money to pay back union pukes. Ever again.

#2) Anything else I will look at.

Had a Chrysler 200 catch my eye the other day. 9 speed tranny! Very nice ride but I don't need another car right now.

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

My summer car is a 1976 Triumph Spitfire and in the winter I drive a 1972 International Harvester Scout II.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post

Rear wheel drive only. FWD has too many moving parts and makes a too cramped an engine bay. Have higher breakdown rates, higher repair costs. Also what a shade tree mechanic can do on many RWD needs for most to be done in a shop. Changing the engine or transmission on a FWD can be done at home but requires specialized equipment and more know how. I have changed the trans in a RWD at the curbside and with no special equipment.
    Me too.

#1) Not a GM product that obumma helped out with my money to pay back union pukes. Ever again.

#2) Anything else I will look at.
    Greetings ProfessionalLocator and Mark! I have been a MOPAR owner since I was 18. I have done many engine swaps, motor overhauls, clutch & transmission replacements on my driveway and in my garage. All I ever used was simple hand tools, floor jacks with rented transmission and engine hoists. Before my wife and I had kids, I did these tasks for fun; buying used 1960s GMs, A-body and B-body MOPARS, then shoe-horning big cube V-8s with 4-speeds into their frames. When the kids came, these 2-door hot rods became a fond memory. Then I performed many engine swaps, motor overhauls, clutch & transmission replacements using simple hand tools, floor jacks with rented transmission and engine hoists out of necessity; constantly fixing the cheap, high-mileage Dodge pick-ups and 4-door MOPARS I seemed to own while raising my family.

This summer I may break away from Chrysler. Sorry Mark, I have my eye on a 2010ish GMC Acadia to be my mainline cruiser................ just sayin'.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mark likes this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post

This summer I may break away from Chrysler. Sorry Mark, I have my eye on a 2010ish GMC Acadia to be my mainline cruiser................ just sayin'.
    [/CENTER]
    No problem Brother, just make sure all the recalls have been dealt with.

I'm pretty sure my next ride will be a Chrysler. I had my heart set on a Cadillac CTS-V to replace my Cadillac DTS. That won't be happening.

Good luck my friend, hope it never fails your Wife and kids. I'm sure it will be a good fit.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

i thought nissan had one of the top ones. Over 9 million in recalls and you are trusting a gm? The 9 speed auto trans came from benz, it replacing the 6 speed chrysler models, The 9 speed gives a better gas mileage. I been looking at suv trying to stay under $22K. After all U hate having a mortgage payment sitting in the driveway that I only put 4K in miles on it in a year.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by paintitnow View Post
    i thought nissan had one of the top ones. Over 9 million in recalls and you are trusting a gm? The 9 speed auto trans came from benz, it replacing the 6 speed chrysler models, the 9 speed gives a better gas mileage. I been looking at suv trying to stay under $22k. After all u hate having a mortgage payment sitting in the driveway that i only put 4k in miles on it in a year.
    drove a rental chrysler with the six speed auto, did not like it.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

may be it is just the higher end jeeps. I know i read up on the jeep grand Cherokee and it had the new 9 speed tranny. I rented a chevy impala and now the expressways are 70 mph. I had it at 80 and was a smooth ride. On a long stretch and coaxing from passengers i did punch it and got it to 115 mph before i decided that was fast enough for me.