Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vote

Default Vote

Well got a letter from the IBEW today. They set up a website (edited out link) check it out.

(thecablevine: if the IBEW wants to promote their business they can pay for advertising like anybody else)
    Last edited by TheCableVine; September 24th, 2012 at 09:29 PM.

Default Re: Vote

What a joke. Protect the ones that get damages, call off, and sit at clear jobs for an hour. Screw the locators that do their job and do it right. Yeah that is all this country needs more people looking for a hand out. Get off your asses and find a new company to work for if you do not like usic's policies.

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by dead like me View Post
    What a joke. Protect the ones that get damages, call off, and sit at clear jobs for an hour. Screw the locators that do their job and do it right. Yeah that is all this country needs more people looking for a hand out. Get off your asses and find a new company to work for if you do not like usic's policies.
    I did.

why vote. So more money can be taken from all under paid usic workers.

Why vote? So you can have your say, either yes or no don't matter...
    @deadlikeme or keep the policys of USIC where you are never rewarded for your work. Running 20+ tickets in 11 hours day with an area that is 538.4sq miles, and being over 4yrs damage free gets to you pay raise, given a $200 dollar bonus and told no second half bonus because of someone screw up four counties away. Sounds like USIC policy is so much better.
    Only posted a link so everyone can make there conculsions, with both sides. We are slammed with emails and phone calls at work about why not. Always good to hear from each side to make your own informed decisions.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by dead like me View Post
    Amen.

Years of Experience

I am so glad we do not have those troubles down this way ????!!!! here it is work non union or work non union . LOL !!!! so many choices !!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Congrats to USIC in Illinois. You're at least going to get your union vote in a short while. And you're that much closer to ruining a good thing.

A lot of the techs I talk to that are willing to bust their butts for every dollar earned could care less about the union. No, it's the guys that cry about working too many hours, the guys that bitch about having to work the weekends, the guys what whine about covering oncall, the guys that blow off half their route, the guys that don't follow the simple locate processes - basically guys that want to get paid to do nothing - that are head over heels in favor of the union. Maybe they'll get their union, and then things will be that much closer to having the inmates running the asylum.....never a good thing. Half you guys can't even complete the full extent of a locate ticket correctly and you're going to be contributing your "voice" to pay, policies, and other important issues via your union? Yeah, okay.....
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by big boots mcghee View Post
    Congrats to USIC in Illinois. You're at least going to get your union vote in a short while. And you're that much closer to ruining a good thing.

A lot of the techs I talk to that are willing to bust their butts for every dollar earned could care less about the union. No, it's the guys that cry about working too many hours, the guys that bitch about having to work the weekends, the guys what whine about covering oncall, the guys that blow off half their route, the guys that don't follow the simple locate processes - basically guys that want to get paid to do nothing - that are head over heels in favor of the union. Maybe they'll get their union, and then things will be that much closer to having the inmates running the asylum.....never a good thing. Half you guys can't even complete the full extent of a locate ticket correctly and you're going to be contributing your "voice" to pay, policies, and other important issues via your union? Yeah, okay.....
    A union is only as strong as it's members.

And there is nothing about USIC that is a good thing anymore, unless you enjoy being exploited.
    Last edited by Turk182; September 30th, 2012 at 11:47 PM.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

As Inigo Montoya once said "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means"

As per Merriam-Websters famous book..... Exploit : deed, act; especially : a notable or heroic act

In and of itself, the definition doesn't come close to the meaning you are putting behind it. Especially when you take into account that USIC is doing nothing any other Contract locating company is doing.

http://www.worldvision.com.au/Librar...eet_Labour.pdf

How does USIC compare?

Mke

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    As Inigo Montoya once said "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means"

As per Merriam-Websters famous book..... Exploit : deed, act; especially : a notable or heroic act

In and of itself, the definition doesn't come close to the meaning you are putting behind it. Especially when you take into account that USIC is doing nothing any other Contract locating company is doing.

http://www.worldvision.com.au/Librar...eet_Labour.pdf

How does USIC compare?

Mke
    Anyone that is being taken advantage of is getting exploited, I suspect every contract locating firm is guilty of it, some more so than others.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post

Mke
    You are referring to the word in the Noun form, but as a Verb one of the definitions is as follows: to use selfishly for one's own ends: employers who exploit their workers.

Exploit | Define Exploit at Dictionary.com
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Touche'

However in the verb definition there is no malice implied. To that definition Turk is "exploiting" his work.

Hence my issue. I think his work is un-fair at best...... not sure if it sinks to the ranks of exploitative......if thats a word.

mke

Years of Experience
    20+

Well, it was bound to happen, IBEW is courting our USIC locators in Wisconsin. Been in the business 20 years and have seen both sides of this fight before. Personally I have no use for them because I feel they protect the slackers, but I have also seen USIC take advantage and maximize it's profits by taking so much of what we used to have as benefits and screw the labor force and their families. As USIC grows bigger, the less they give a whoot about those who put the paint on the ground and make their profit. Kind of stuck in the middle here..Does anyone know which states and/or offices have voted the union in recently? Looks like we are next in the crosshairs..

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by big boots mcghee View Post

The workers you mentioned, yeah, they are going to seek protection so they do not have to work. But they seldom get enough signatures to get a vote by themselves, it is only when the workers who do a good job feel, justly or not, that they are getting screwed over and want protection are enough signatures are gathered to have a vote.

Once there are enough signatures to have a vote the whiners and slackers cannot get a majority vote unless the good workers feel the need for protection will a passing number of ballots be cast.

Elsewhere in this thread it was said such pro-union locators should just go work someplace else. Factually this is correct but we are dealing with people and facts are not always the real issue. Often the employees feel, right or wrong, that they put in the sweat and effort that makes the company as much theirs as the stockholders. They feel, right or wrong, they have earned the right to have a say in the operation.

It is the employees doing the dirty work that generates income and they are needed on the job more than the managers, CEO, BOD.
    Any employer who does not pay attention to the employees feelings is courting disaster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast