Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Voicemail from contractor to local digline office

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Voicemail from contractor to local digline office

This is a voice mail that was left at the local dig-line office from a contractor complaining about the "locators". I've removed the contractors company name and changed the names but all other information is verbatim.

Hi, Jenny. My name is Donna and I represent xxxx xxxx xxxx Company. I recently had a locate request sent in and the locator that, or, I'm not sure who it was, but the locator marked on the leaves that were on the property rather than on the actual ground and the leaves have now blown away. So, I have to have another locate done on it. Um, it just seems kind of ridiculous to me that they would mark on leaves and not take the time to even move them. I understand that it is not really their job to do so, but, this is just beyond ridiculous. You don't need to call me back I am putting in another, um, order for another dig-line request because we don't have any markings on the ground. Uh, thank you so much, bye. ---click---.
    Yeah... I left my rake at home. This time of year the leaves are thick and I really don't have time to rake leaves or shovel snow or dry the pavement so my marks will still be there when they decide to show up to do the work.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Voicemail from contractor to local digline office

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    This is a voice mail that was left at the local dig-line office from a contractor complaining about the "locators". I've removed the contractors company name and changed the names but all other information is verbatim.

Yeah... I left my rake at home. This time of year the leaves are thick and I really don't have time to rake leaves or shovel snow or dry the pavement so my marks will still be there when they decide to show up to do the work.
    We certainly don't rake the yard for them. We do kick the leaves aside to make a mark and drop a flag.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    We certainly don't rake the yard for them. We do kick the leaves aside to make a mark and drop a flag.
    This.....especially since the marks have to be surveyed.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Steve, Time to request that leaf blower!

I was part of a fiasco a few years back where we were requested to paint utilities on a paved surface. It was in the middle of winter and the pavement was soaked. The engineering firm actually paid another firm to come out and attempt to "dry" the pavement so the paint would last longer. They had these comercial heat blowers, torches etc..

4hours into it they finally called it off and let us mark with some Keel.

mke
    Wingfoot likes this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    Steve, Time to request that leaf blower!

I was part of a fiasco a few years back where we were requested to paint utilities on a paved surface. It was in the middle of winter and the pavement was soaked. The engineering firm actually paid another firm to come out and attempt to "dry" the pavement so the paint would last longer. They had these comercial heat blowers, torches etc..

4hours into it they finally called it off and let us mark with some Keel.

mke
    LMFAO!!!

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I kick leaves out of the way but if there are a lot of leaves and it becomes a hassle then I don't. A locate will take longer and if you spend too much time kicking leaves out of the way, then it isn't really worth it to me.

This wasn't my locate but the fact remains that the ground is the ground regardless of what is on it. I don't clear brush, I don't shovel snow, I don't rake leaves etc.... If its on the ground and it is not man made, I consider it the GROUND.

BTW... this contractor used to call in front back and both sides regardless of what they were doing. I was bitched at by a homeowner for being in his back yard marking stuff when the only work being done was by the front door. I called the contractor and let them know they need to only call in what they need because the homeowners are getting pissed about it. They called my boss and complained to him about me. Eventually they started calling in just what they need but they are still at the bottom of my list. Or at the top depending on what list it is.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

I know how you feel...

I just had a fence contractor call in an entire lot, which has 3 different Elec primaries, street lights, and multiple telco/cable trunks through it(busy main corner), for replacing 1 section of fence, not the poles, just a section between steel poles. Home owner was ticked I was even there. I called this habitual "entire lot" company and in my best "customer service" tone told them that if they weren't digging perhaps they should cancel the ticket before the other locators showed up and really got busy with the paint, especially since the home owner was irritated with just me.

Their response was "we are required to call in every lot that way regardless of the work being done."

My response: "Well, the work you are doing will not conflict with any of my utility lines, and since the home owner was pretty irritated with me even being there. If you are not digging I will clear this as a no excavation ticket and you will be good to go. I was merely trying to save you and your crew a bit of hassle from an irate home owner once all of these multiple lines are marked by the other locators. Have a nice day, goodbye."

This company has lost several jobs because of having us locate areas not being worked in recently, or that's what the home owners who were pissed told me.

Lo, and behold! 5 minutes later the cancelled ticket comes down.

Wasted over 30 minutes dealing with this stupid contractor and pissed home owner all for nothing.
    No excavation being done...

Years of Experience
    30+

This is what our area is doing.

TAMPA BAY EXCAVATION TASK FORCE MEETING NOTICE

Lunch & Location sponsored by Kimmins Contracting

Wednesday, November 6th, 2013

Kimmin’s Office, Ybor City, 12:00 PM till 1:30 PM
    Address: 1501 East 2nd Avenue, Tampa, FL 33605
    “Ybor City” See Map Attachment

Tampa Bay Excavation Task Force Mission Statement:

“Create a culture where a safe work environment is maintained in all excavations.”

Our means to accomplish our mission will be by establishing and articulating individual and corporate responsibilities, enhancing awareness of safety requirements and assuring that safety criteria and applicable standards are uniformly applied on all projects. Utility Damage Prevention is promoted as a critical aspect for maintaining a safe worksite.

Meeting Topic:

“Generating the Perfect One Call Ticket”

The last Excavation Task Force Meeting certainly pointed out the need to talk more about what excavators need to do to be 100% certain that their descriptions of the work area to be located will never get miss-interpreted by the locator.

Please think about what would be a good strategy to improve descriptions in locate tickets and how to pass that information to all excavators.
    The Big-E likes this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by UULC View Post
    This is what our area is doing.

TAMPA BAY EXCAVATION TASK FORCE MEETING NOTICE

Lunch & Location sponsored by Kimmins Contracting

Wednesday, November 6th, 2013

Kimmin’s Office, Ybor City, 12:00 PM till 1:30 PM
    Address: 1501 East 2nd Avenue, Tampa, FL 33605
    “Ybor City” See Map Attachment

Tampa Bay Excavation Task Force Mission Statement:

“Create a culture where a safe work environment is maintained in all excavations.”

Our means to accomplish our mission will be by establishing and articulating individual and corporate responsibilities, enhancing awareness of safety requirements and assuring that safety criteria and applicable standards are uniformly applied on all projects. Utility Damage Prevention is promoted as a critical aspect for maintaining a safe worksite.

Meeting Topic:

“Generating the Perfect One Call Ticket”

The last Excavation Task Force Meeting certainly pointed out the need to talk more about what excavators need to do to be 100% certain that their descriptions of the work area to be located will never get miss-interpreted by the locator.

Please think about what would be a good strategy to improve descriptions in locate tickets and how to pass that information to all excavators.
    I will miss the meeting. Will be down there the last week of November, too late for them to drink of my wisdom.
    The Big-E likes this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    I kick leaves out of the way but if there are a lot of leaves and it becomes a hassle then I don't. A locate will take longer and if you spend too much time kicking leaves out of the way, then it isn't really worth it to me.

This wasn't my locate but the fact remains that the ground is the ground regardless of what is on it. I don't clear brush, I don't shovel snow, I don't rake leaves etc.... If its on the ground and it is not man made, I consider it the GROUND.

BTW... this contractor used to call in front back and both sides regardless of what they were doing. I was bitched at by a homeowner for being in his back yard marking stuff when the only work being done was by the front door. I called the contractor and let them know they need to only call in what they need because the homeowners are getting pissed about it. They called my boss and complained to him about me. Eventually they started calling in just what they need but they are still at the bottom of my list. Or at the top depending on what list it is.
    Back before becoming a supervisor and I made an honest living painting dirt I was ready for this. I had a sheet of paper with instructions of how to see their ticket on the local Miss

Utility website. wrote the ticket number on that paper, gave it to them and said they can see for themselves 'their' contractor ordered their yard messed up with all that paint.

Years of Experience

I used to kick the leaves and snow out of the way, but not anymore. With time comes wisdom in the locating business. I even try to stay out when it's raining knowing all of my marks will be gone. If their dumb enough to call for locates when a rain storm is coming, then I will mark it in the rain, get my pics, and clear the tic. Then they get there with no marks, get pissed, have to call it back in, and wait another 2 days. Guess I like to stir the pot.

As for fences, I get those entire properties also. The homeowner comes out, asks me why I'm marking the front yard because the fence is going in the back. I always, always tell them that the fence company told us the fence is going all the way around their property. Most of them say their going to go in the house and call them because they didn't order the fence to go in the front. By the time they get back outside, I'm usally done and gone with the locate leaving them wondering.

And if the property is clear of utilities, and the homeowner tells me the fence is going in the back but the ticket says entire property, guess where the ok's are going, in the front just to mess with them. Sometimes they call in second notices saying the area is not marked. Then I get to call them and have more fun with them.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    I used to kick the leaves and snow out of the way, but not anymore. With time comes wisdom in the locating business. I even try to stay out when it's raining knowing all of my marks will be gone. If their dumb enough to call for locates when a rain storm is coming, then I will mark it in the rain, get my pics, and clear the tic. Then they get there with no marks, get pissed, have to call it back in, and wait another 2 days. Guess I like to stir the pot.

As for fences, I get those entire properties also. The homeowner comes out, asks me why I'm marking the front yard because the fence is going in the back. I always, always tell them that the fence company told us the fence is going all the way around their property. Most of them say their going to go in the house and call them because they didn't order the fence to go in the front. By the time they get back outside, I'm usally done and gone with the locate leaving them wondering.

And if the property is clear of utilities, and the homeowner tells me the fence is going in the back but the ticket says entire property, guess where the ok's are going, in the front just to mess with them. Sometimes they call in second notices saying the area is not marked. Then I get to call them and have more fun with them.

Painting an OK or CLEAR on the ground was a practice we used in Maryland and then discarded becasue of the threat it posed to human life. We get a ticket and it is clear in the area of the ticket but a few fit out of the area is a utility. Next person comes along seeing the OK and thinks that is for their ticket and digs. Or it is OK today but a new utility is bored in a few days later, often a utility installation the firs ticket was for, another ticket is called in weeks later and they see the OK and dig into the utility. This practice was discarded because damages as I have described were occurring, it was abandoned as a dangerous marking practice.

Problem is there are advocates of the OK in paint on the ground and often they are with a client utility and the locate firms are afraid to stand up to them, tell them it is a stupid idea. Last I heard they were trying to bring that back in Maryland.

Years of Experience

Painting an OK or CLEAR on the ground was a practice we used in Maryland and then discarded becasue of the threat it posed to human life. We get a ticket and it is clear in the area of the ticket but a few fit out of the area is a utility. Next person comes along seeing the OK and thinks that is for their ticket and digs. Or it is OK today but a new utility is bored in a few days later, often a utility installation the firs ticket was for, another ticket is called in weeks later and they see the OK and dig into the utility. This practice was discarded because damages as I have described were occurring, it was abandoned as a dangerous marking practice.

Problem is there are advocates of the OK in paint on the ground and often they are with a client utility and the locate firms are afraid to stand up to them, tell them it is a stupid idea. Last I heard they were trying to bring that back in Maryland.
    Sounds like you have some very careless contractors over there in MD. They must have went out there before their ticket was due to be marked, seen ok's and dug. You would think they would have seen the ok's when they were there to bid the job. They normally call for locates when onsite.

Years of Experience

Maybe its just the contractors in Northwest Indiana, but if they don't see that OK on the ground they wont dig and will call in a second notice on the spot. Our utilities wont even dig on their own facilities unless you put down an OK for their supervisors to see if the happen to roll up.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

We had a damage once because someone put "OK" on the road and an utility was put in sometime after that. now the "OK" mark was old. If I put an "OK" on the road I also add a date next to it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast