Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vivax vLocPro question

Years of Experience

Default Vivax vLocPro question

Can I get any feedback, Pro's and Con's from anybody who is using this locator everyday?

I would really like to hear from those who have switched from an Metrotech 810 to the vLocPro, if possible, but any feedback would be great.

I am talking to Vivax about purchasing a few of these for our crews.

Thanks,
    Steve

Years of Experience

Default Re: Vivax vLocPro question

Quote Originally Posted by HWYRIPR View Post
    Can I get any feedback, Pro's and Con's from anybody who is using this locator everyday?

I would really like to hear from those who have switched from an Metrotech 810 to the vLocPro, if possible, but any feedback would be great.

I guess I fit both of those conditions. I daily use the vlocpro. It hasn't actually replaced my 810, but instead replaced my 850. While it can induce really well, the transmitter is big and heavy.

We have several vlocpros for our crew, but I believe I'm the only one who really uses it heavily. It's a pretty big leap from an 810 to the vivax, most of the guys I work with haven't put thier other machines away and spent the time to be able to trust the machine.

Pros: simultaneous peak and null, an awesome power 60 mode (better than the straight 60 hz), compatability with any other locator except pipehorn(tops out at 200khz), very flexible engineering division(they will redesign thier display for your specs), if you don't need heavy induction the 5 watt transmitter I'm playing with is way lighter and cunductively runs almost exactly the same.

Cons: learning curve from 810, much heavier than 810, but not as heavy as rd4000

I still say it depends on what you're locating, if you're needing to induce in traffic, and probably the work forces willingness to give the equipment a real chance.

Demo and try for yourself. I believe that one of the members ( gwj_cas) is a distributor of oth vivax and metrotech.

Years of Experience

those things look funny and are HEAVY... not to mention i saw utiliquest and they say you have to press a button to lower and raise the gain.... not a fan of these
    "What Are You Doin!?!? GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!"
    you have entered a restricted area

I have used the Vivax briefly and wasn't nearly impressed with it as compared to the RD 8000. Utiliquest has it's gas trouble shooters using the 8000 now because of it's inducing capabilities. 1 told me he hasn't had to call for a Vac truck since he got the 8000.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by HWYRIPR View Post

Thanks,
    Steve
    Have you demo'ed one yet? If you haven't, let me know and I can get you hooked up with a demo unit.

We are now using both the i5000 and the Vloc and my Vloc guys really like them. Depending on locate circumstances they use the Vloc transmitter, or sometimes the 810's 1watt transmitter with the Vloc. They really like that flexibility. We also locate fiber some fiber and the Vloc's built in fiber frequencies have helped as well as its CP setting for locating petro lines.

Anyway, send me a PM with your contact info and I will get you hooked up with a demo and the right guy if you are looking to purchase.

Years of Experience

it's an ugly yellow color and compared to rd or subsite.....it sucks!! I do like the case it comes with....just like having your luguage with youl......hahahhaahaahahahaha
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    it's an ugly yellow color and compared to rd or subsite.....it sucks!! I do like the case it comes with....just like having your luguage with youl......hahahhaahaahahahaha
    Dude, the vivax is built by the same engineers who built the rd4000. I've had both and the vivax is much better, more versatile, better locating modes, compatable with all our other equipment and lighter. So, what are you talking about?

Subsite has it's place, but falls far short in many areas. The subsite is terrible for induction,and I've personally found with just an 810 and 850 plenty of utilities that guys running subsites couldn't.

I have to agree with the suitcases they ship with though, worthless. We went out and bought a tool bag for the transmitter for 20 bucks that works great.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by headcipher View Post
    Dude, the vivax is built by the same engineers who built the rd4000. I've had both and the vivax is much better, more versatile, better locating modes, compatable with all our other equipment and lighter. So, what are you talking about?

Subsite has it's place, but falls far short in many areas. The subsite is terrible for induction,and I've personally found with just an 810 and 850 plenty of utilities that guys running subsites couldn't.

I have to agree with the suitcases they ship with though, worthless. We went out and bought a tool bag for the transmitter for 20 bucks that works great.
    Spot on Dude...the original RD Engineers defected and started Vivax with the intention of building a better locator, and they did. Guys that have used RD's in the past, should find the operating system and features familiar. The receiver ships with 40 built in frequencies, so it should be easy to find a frequency you like to use and go with, even if it is not from the Vivax transmitter...just about everyone's transmitter will work.

There are some exciting new features and developments coming for the Vloc, keep a lookout.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Alright GWJ, which one? Vivax or Metrotech i5000? Personal oppinion only, off the record.

mke

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by headcipher View Post

that is my opinion dude...is that ok?
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    Alright GWJ, which one? Vivax or Metrotech i5000? Personal oppinion only, off the record.

mke
    i5000, and no, I'm not Greg, but I'll take the Metrotech any day.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post

mke
    i5000 for sure, the Signal Select mode is excellent for congested areas where bleedover is a problem.

Years of Experience

ok guys i5000 or rd 8000? I haven't used either one yet liked the vivax just fine when i demoed it last year. The rd has current direction which i didnt see anything about on on metrotech website.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by orangeboots View Post
    ok guys i5000 or rd 8000? I haven't used either one yet liked the vivax just fine when i demoed it last year. The rd has current direction which i didnt see anything about on on metrotech website.
    The i5000 has current direction and with the mylocator web interface, you can get a complete look at all the locate facts, current direction, freq, power, locating away from or towards transmitter, gps info (if so equipped), etc etc.

The 8000 is ok, we have a couple, but the bluetooth functions are spotty to nonworkable and there have been many software glitches. The price is very attractive with many being sold at $3k or less new for single units and much better for multi unit purchases,

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    I have used the Vivax briefly and wasn't nearly impressed with it as compared to the RD 8000. Utiliquest has it's gas trouble shooters using the 8000 now because of it's inducing capabilities. 1 told me he hasn't had to call for a Vac truck since he got the 8000.
    Utiiquest has purchase 800 vlocpro unit to date. I think those guys know where the future lies. I've been in this business for 23 years and have seen so many of the newer RD units 7000 and 8000 with that flimzy handle broken off. If you get the right person to demo the vlocpro and you get it in your hand,,,,you will not give it back. Design and features far surpase anything I have seen on the market, and that yellow color, well lay it down for a second and you won't have any trouble finding where you left it. So many of those bland color are reported missing and often never found.

Weasels crap on the dirt,,,Eagles crap on people that don't like the rules.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast