Thread: Vivax or RD

Default Vivax or RD

I trained w/ a Vivax and have been using it for 6 months damage free. I had been told by several others that the RD's were better so today I traded my Vivax in and got a RD4000. First impression of the RD4000 is that it has alot fewer features and lacks the automatic gain adjustment of the Vivax, but the Raido and Power 60 modes far superior. Anybody else have pros, cons and prefrences of the two?

Years of Experience
    5+
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Vivax or RD

ok... I started off with a RD4000... and upgraded to a vivax.... considering you are a locator for STS..... the power 60 cycle shouldn't make a hill of beans.... the thing I find more beneficial with the vivax is the multiple frequencies, on screen depth.... the receiver is rechargeable.... and it's lighter... I find I am able to pick up bleed over far better with the vivax, and the null seems to be a lot better..... but that's just me....

I do like the on screen depth feature alot. I notice with the RD the depth check takes alot longer. As for the power 60 cycle, on difficult power locates its a good verification tool. I was never given rechargeable batteries so I was constantly feeding the Vivax AA's. My Vivax would often not display depth at all though without tapping it on the ground a time or two, I thnk there was a short in it somewhere. I am gonna give this RD a try for a few weeks and if I dont like it im switching back. Also the tone that the Vivax puts out is alot more clear and steady.

Years of Experience
    5+
    Blog Entries

ok, went you consider we don't locate power as much as we locate other utilities.... the power 60 is more than adequate on the vivax... as far as the vivax eating AA's.... the receiver has a built in battery pack.... the other battery pack that we use is intended as a back up.... however getting your equipment manager to cough up a travel charge or a charge at all for your vivax will be tough... also.... keep in mind.... thomas, and or angelo isn't going to be too crazy about you switching equipment back and forth.... another thing for you to consider... the lunchbox for the RD4000 is only 3 watts... the pack transmitter for a vivax is 5 watts....

Im not sure what area your in but I locate power just as much as any other utility in my area. I have power on every ticket. Somtimes I get lucky and its aerial only though. I didnt switch transmitters, im running a Vivax transmitter and an RD4000 receiver. I dont want to use the lunchbox, I keep my transmitter in a bookbag w/ my three pound hammer, ring clamp, ground rod, a 32oz bottle of water, two extra cans of paint and a few other odds and ends. Its great for preventing trips back to the truck. I wouldnt be able to do that w/ the lunchbox. I dont switch equipment back and forth much, and rarely ever ask anything from Angelo so I dont think it would be an issue.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

The rechargeable batteries on the vivax receiver are built in. Just plug the charger into the little port under the handle. The AA batteries are backup power only, not the working power of the receiver.

Years of Experience

I was given a vivax when we got them, to try it out. Me personally I didnt much care for it. When I got it to try it out, I was using an RD 8000. So of course i gave the vivax back and kept the 8000. Now 1 thing for certain that is a plus with the vivax, is it is much lighter than the 4000, and on long jobs, carrying the vivax is soo much better than carrying the 4000.

We never got chargers for our Vivax stuff, but we get AA's in bulk.

Years of Experience

we have visited this question before.....vivax is junk and will break fast and RD will last longer....as far as locating ...one is not superior than the other just a matter of personal taste
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Senior Member FailedSafetyAudit's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Wait, I thought the Vivax didn't have automatic gain control? Are you talking true automatic gain control like the metrotech 810?
    TRUST no one !!!
    QUESTION everything !!!
    Find the TRUTH for yourself !!!
    Sound a bit paranoid ???
    That's what this business is. - Don Lyng