Thread: Vivax/Metrotech/ORI SPAR 300

Years of Experience

Default Vivax/Metrotech/ORI SPAR 300

Anyone have really large scale experience with using the SPAR, TSC3 and an R10 for mapping underground utilities in congested areas?? We've collected close to two million points with that setup across our footprint. We've been learning all the time but it seems that now, we're in areas that even the manufacture doesn't understand. We're getting hung up on the true meaning of the HSDV and VSDV as it relates to the actual V point accuracy. We haven't "deleted" any points in the GIS but they are flagged if the HSDV and VSDV are out of spec. These flagged points are not visible on our maps and the question we get is "why collect them if they don't show up"? If anyone is familiar with .jxl's and the info contained there in, I'd LOVE to hear from you.

Years of Experience
    a few

Default Re: Vivax/Metrotech/ORI SPAR 300

The old owner at spar is the one who made the program so he is the best resource, even though you may want more than he ever thought would be needed if the vertical and horizontal are a slight miss match. Are the points directly over the target like a conventional locator or are the problem ones when it is offset?

Years of Experience

We've reached out to the old owner but since the change, he's a little reluctant to talk. He can't really speak to anything because of how many new hands have been in the mix. It's understandable.... even though we own most of the SPAR units they produced, it's hard to get an answer.

It's in both situation. The issue is we have points with a Horizontal Confidence "A" and Vertical Confidence "B" but an HSDV of 176.8697306 and a VSDV of 188.0573726. Then we have points with an HSDV of 5.83 and VSDV of 4.65 yet the point has a Horizontal and Vertical confidence of "E". It's confusing. We need to know for sure if the HSDV and VSDV are linked or not. In other words, does a bad VSDV alter the HSDV? If so, what's the mathematical formula? We have points with an HSDV of over 10,000 yet the spacial accuracy is on. We've staked out to and spotted the points and they were ok as well. We're just trying to get the true meaning of these values or someone to officially say "You don't need to worry about them".

Years of Experience
    a few

Sorry Dane to hear that I was assured that vivax was just going to be the distribution for the spar line. The things that jump out are the congestion in the target area, did you guys use conventional locators when in the bad areas in combination with the spars?

Years of Experience

We did. What we consistently found is that the SPAR will follow Null when there is distortion.

Years of Experience
    a few

Wow that sucks I knew all the hype of once it locked on it could operate offset had to have some problem. Well you have a lot more spar 300 experience then I do under your belt and I know you came hear for answers but it is I that learned something. I had heard that stacking the spars on top of each other on the same pole was something that was supposed to help in congested areas but the documentation says it is a future addition. I hope it is still something to look forward to now that vivax is involved.

Years of Experience

I think the single greatest improvement that Vivax can make is to give you the ability (on the TSC3) to switch between Peak and Null modes. This would let you compare both signals like you do on a traditional locate. We did discover one really weird thing while mapping tracer wire/plastic. We were trying to get the HSDV and VSDV to down but were having trouble. On a whim, one of the guys went down 50 or 60 ft and dropped the RD box in Inductive mode at full power on the line. The HSDV and VSDV came right down! When he shut the box off, they stayed in spec. We tried it again at a different location and it worked again. It's almost like it's calibrating it or something.