Thread: !!!!!!verizon pulling danella contract in delaware!!!!!

Years of Experience

Default !!!!!!verizon pulling danella contract in delaware!!!!!

Just in, from my sources through Verizon higher ups, Danella companies
    Are having there contract pulled after the new year due to high cost damages
    And Danella management Dan Batze, not meeting Verizon requirements of
    Enough count of employees and ignore Verizon high ups expectations along with
    Not enough time spent with training employees. This is a heads up to all locators.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: !!!!!!verizon pulling danella contract in delaware!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterLocator View Post
    Just in, from my sources through Verizon higher ups, Danella companies
    Are having there contract pulled after the new year due to high cost damages
    And Danella management Dan Batze, not meeting Verizon requirements of
    Enough count of employees and ignore Verizon high ups expectations along with
    Not enough time spent with training employees. This is a heads up to all locators.
    How is that doing?

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

It should also be a heads up to most management.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience
    na

LA LA LA LA LA !!!

Hello UQ redux !!!

Years of Experience

makes sense, this is inline with what I see as well. *I wonder who's gonna snatch up that area? (was ECSM before Danella)

Years of Experience

I see and work along side Danella locators almost everyday. Other than recently seeing a wave of new hires showing up, I don't get a sense of them losing anything yet.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Exhibit View Post
    makes sense, this is inline with what I see as well. *I wonder who's gonna snatch up that area? (was ECSM before Danella)
    There is always a rumor for every locating company out there that they are about to lose a contract.

As to who would get it, Premier is in place with a recent contract and the Verizon contract would help anchor their beachhead into that area. For them Delaware and Eastern Maryland shore area is the launching place for incursions into the lucrative Washington DC area.

Utility company profits are directly related to customers per mile of plant be it overhead and underground wires or underground cable and pipes. The DC area is densely populated which for a locate firm reduces drive time between locates. I have had as many a six tickets in completed subdivisions where I could walk from one locate to another.

Years of Experience

I guess it would depend if Verizon sill wants the complete package, both locating and excavation. From what I understand, that's what helped Danella to get the contract.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by elvee View Post
    I guess it would depend if Verizon sill wants the complete package, both locating and excavation. From what I understand, that's what helped Danella to get the contract.

Several of the Veriosns have gone to the 'single source provider' idea, wrap locate and installation contracts. If the rumors are true then the experiment may have soured Delaware Verizon on the idea. It's difficult to find a company whose expertise and capabilities in both areas is top notch.

I think Danella built it's locate service out of it's engineering department. It's hard to start up a Call Before You Dig contract locate firm from scratch. You start off with a management team where many or most have not worked together before. If built upon the construction side of the business you get people lacking the needed familiarity with locating. You have no core of locators that have been with the firm and you can count on. Every locator in the area that knows they do a poor job and about to lose their jobs will apply and them along with the rejects that got fired is the bulk of the workforce. If you immediately clean out the unacceptable you quickly have an inadequate number of workers. A start-up contract locate firm takes a couple of years to get it's workforce stable.

When I took over my first group as a supervisor I had my work cut out for me. People came and went when the felt, like it was a flex time job. Absenteeism was high, always a question of who did not show up today. Some were doing poor quality work and these were 3 to 7 year techs.

If I cracked down on everything I would lose half the group within the first two months. It had to be in stages so that those who were doing wrong could correct themselves and become valuable locators once they saw that their performance would not be tolerated. First thing was show up on time along with giving notice of a possibility of being late. Shortly next was no getting off early unless prearranged. I had people telling me, telling and not asking, around noon that they were off at 2PM to a doctor appointment, have their car fixed, whatever. Once I got them on the job and staying on the job the quality of the work was addressed. I did my own audits and any ticket not performed correctly they immateriality returned to that site and fixed it. I adopted the policy of do it right the first time. It took a year to straighten out that group and when production figures showed that group was exceeding it's goal by a higher percentage of the other groups, was ranking near the top of the groups with production and was doing it all with the least percentage of overtime I knew that the effort was a success.

Unfortunately not all of the techs lasted a year as they just could not bring themselves to do an honest days work. I had the attrition I estimated for the first two months but spread over time it was controllable and the work got done.
    I did not fire any of them, they fired themselves.

Danella's locate is not so old so for them to have problems at a young age , if indeed they are, is to be expected.