Thread: UTI/Utiliquest job scam

Years of Experience

Default UTI/Utiliquest job scam

UTI/Utiliquest keeps posting jobs, but when you call them about any of the post they are not really hiring, just on hold until they know if they received the Qwest bid? Seems dishonest!

Years of Experience

Default Re: UTI/Utiliquest job scam

For one we dont locate Qwest in California. I am the one who is looking for locators in San Diego. Trust me this is no scam. I really do need locators. I only need one or two. I have learned in my years of hiring that just because someone has experience doesnt mean they are any good. I am giving it some time to allow resumes to come in. Here in San Diego we get very few at fault damages so I am looking for locators who can meet my standards of quality. I have very little turn over in my office and if someone leaves usually it is because the person didnt meet quality or safety requirements so its very rare that I have to hire. But when I do hire I feel I have to be very careful about who I add to our team. We are also hiring in some of our northern California offices. Our company as a whole is trying to be more selective about who we hire. There is a lot time and money spent on training so it only makes sense to make sure that the people we do hire are going to be good employees who will stay with our company. Just felt I had to defend myself and my company.

So HOW do you judge one's expertise?? Do you call the numbers on the resume? Do you talk with Field Supervisors, Management or the References??

I ask because of a simple fact in this business. Management can be vindictive pussies and talk ALL kinds of shit about a former employee that just ISN'T TRUE. Not to mention at fault damages CAN and most often ARE related to Management by pushing and pushing production so they can pad the profit margins.

I know that I have been personally and formerly charged with 4 at faults in my tenure as a Utility Locator. All 4 came from the same company and happened to come with in weeks of each other. I didn't have ANY before that company and haven't had ANY since that company. Also I KNOW for a FACT management talks shit about me to ANYONE who calls to do a resume check.

Also it's all well and good that you guys are looking for good employees who will stay with the company but what happens when the company doesn't stay with the employees? Do you hold multiple companies on a resume against a potential employee?? Or do you look at it realisticly in this day and age and ask 'well did these companies just dry up and blow out of town on this guy or what'??

Just some questions that some insight would be welcome.

Years of Experience

It sounds like you have quite a bit of anger towards management. Just like with locators you have good managers and bad managers. I am sorry that you have had some bad experiences with management in this industry. Trust me when I say we are not all bad. I personally love it when someone with experience walks through my door looking for a job because it doesnt happen very often. When I am deciding who I am want to hire first I look at how long they have been locating, what utilities they have been locating and do they currently live near the area in which my office covers. If I have two locators that that I am equally interested in and one of them lives in San Diego and the other lives in Texas then naturally I am going to look more towards the local person. Once I decide that I may want to hire the person then I will sit down with them and talk to them about the job. I ask them about their work history and I try to get a feel for what type of employee they would be. I have been in this business a long time. I typically know from an interview if I want to hire someone or not. And my judgement of someone isnt coming from a manager who has no field experience or has forgotten what its like to be a locator. After the whole process is done then I typically know who fits in best with our team.

I appreciate your response. Make no mistake however. I have no anger towards management. Now no RESPECT (due to past trespasses) for certain companies management does not lump me in with the 'anti' management crowd.

Years of Experience
    na

Good ol Oceanside...

I can imagine what chaos exists nowadays...

No dreamin for this has been...

cost of living(Mr I ll be back for your taxes), gangs,mudslides,fires,congestion, earthquakes...

Too many other beaches with girls in bikinis for that mess...

Quote Originally Posted by KGossett View Post
    For one we dont locate Qwest in California. I am the one who is looking for locators in San Diego. Trust me this is no scam. I really do need locators. I only need one or two. I have learned in my years of hiring that just because someone has experience doesnt mean they are any good. I am giving it some time to allow resumes to come in. Here in San Diego we get very few at fault damages so I am looking for locators who can meet my standards of quality. I have very little turn over in my office and if someone leaves usually it is because the person didnt meet quality or safety requirements so its very rare that I have to hire. But when I do hire I feel I have to be very careful about who I add to our team. We are also hiring in some of our northern California offices. Our company as a whole is trying to be more selective about who we hire. There is a lot time and money spent on training so it only makes sense to make sure that the people we do hire are going to be good employees who will stay with our company. Just felt I had to defend myself and my company.
    Ahem -you might want to check out why Utiliquest hired an SM&P employee who was fired for having one of the worst unmarked at-fault damages in my 10 years with SM&P - 2 400+ stranf fibers, 1200 pr, 2 3-phase electrics and a 6' gas main - all at the same work site. (He recently was made a Damage Investigator - I guess experience does count) Also, they just hired back 2 employees that now have worked for SMP twice and Utiliquest twice - so much for loyalty.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Now with all do respect Spray, Gossett did say 'His' area. He can't be faulted for the rest of the Company, or the 'Who knows Who' game.

Years of Experience

thanks for the previous responses dealing with utiliquest/uti......we are all just trying to make things work and in the end it all seems to work out anyway....some of the dealings as Spray said seem shady at best but speaking up for ray williams.....well he's doing his best with what he has on his hands at this time in history.....5 years from now......most of those guys ...management and locaters will still be in place here or there!!!!! we go through alot of applications ......looking at job history very closely!!!!! you know ....I think it's all the same whatever state we go to?????? there are some great offices in place in one state adn there are some very poor offices ......we are only good as our weakest leak is what dylan used to tell me!!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato