Thread: USIC's Vectren Contract

Years of Experience

Default USIC's Vectren Contract

I've been hearing rumors that USIC will be losing the Vectren contract soon due to some problems they have been having in certain area's. I think Vectren will be taking it back in house because I heard they are hiring 30 people company wide this month. I think it may have something to do with the ICC regulations and fines that are being handed out. Anybody else hear anything about this?

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: USIC's Vectren Contract

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    I've been hearing rumors that USIC will be losing the Vectren contract soon due to some problems they have been having in certain area's. I think Vectren will be taking it back in house because I heard they are hiring 30 people company wide this month. I think it may have something to do with the ICC regulations and fines that are being handed out. Anybody else hear anything about this?

Vectren one of three companies facing safety-related fines from IURC » Evansville Courier & Press

They are facing a $75,000 fine from the state regulatory commission regarding utility locating. But the article says these fines are due to "failures to keep accurate maps and records of their underground pipelines. These failures, the commission says, resulted in gas pipelines that were either mislocated or not located as is required by Indiana’s “Call Before You Dig” laws.".

No mention of marking problems by a subcontractor like USIC.

Years of Experience

Well, I'm now hearing that Vectren will not be taking it back inhouse. They are working with USIC to resolve the issues.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Well, I'm now hearing that Vectren will not be taking it back inhouse. They are working with USIC to resolve the issues.
    I heard this morning that Vectren is working out a deal with Synergy One to do their locating. I also heard it is all but a done deal. Synergy One has promised them gas only locators. Just hear say, but a lot of details for just hear say. I understood the decision to be made by next Thursday. I heard Vectren had a meeting this week about locating, USIC has one with Vectren this week and Synergy One has one about Vectren next week. Take it for what it is worth.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by All American View Post
    I heard this morning that Vectren is working out a deal with Synergy One to do their locating. I also heard it is all but a done deal. Synergy One has promised them gas only locators. Just hear say, but a lot of details for just hear say. I understood the decision to be made by next Thursday. I heard Vectren had a meeting this week about locating, USIC has one with Vectren this week and Synergy One has one about Vectren next week. Take it for what it is worth.
    If they promised them gas only locators, they must be taking it in areas where Synergy One is not locating Frontier, because they will not be sending 2 seperate trucks/locators to the same ticket. Vectren has had the same contract locating company marking since they quit marking it inhouse in the mid 90's. USIC is basically SM&P, which bought Reliant Services which bought Midwest Marking. All of which has had the Vectren locating contract from the beginning. I don't see them changing to a different contractor, but hey, anything's possible.
    Last edited by superman; August 24th, 2013 at 12:23 AM.

Years of Experience

If they promised them gas only locators, they must be taking it in areas where Synergy One is not locating Frontier, because they will not be sending 2 seperate trucks/locators to the same ticket. Vectren has had the same contract locating company marking since they quit marking it inhouse in the mid 90's. USIC is basically SM&P, which bought Reliant Services which bought Midwest Marking. All of which has had the Vectren locating contract from the beginning. I don't see them changing to a different contractor, but hey, anything's possible.
    Either way you slice or dice.it.... Former or current USIC employees will be locating it!

Years of Experience

Should make for an interesting next week or two. If Synergy One gets all or even just part of the Vectren contract, there will probably be several USIC locators looking for work. As far as I know, they have not done any down sizing since losing the Frontier contract other then the few that quit and left for S-One.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Another factor is that after nearly 20 years of contracting out the inhouse locating the client copnany locating infrastructure is gone. The people that did the work are now retired or in a new job they likley do not want to leave. So after a long period of time a client company's ability to return to inhouse locating is gone.

We are like heroin, they made decide we are bad for them but they cannot shake the addiction.

Years of Experience
    na

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post

We are like heroin
    More like "Monkey Butt" in my case !!!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Another factor is that after nearly 20 years of contracting out the inhouse locating the client copnany locating infrastructure is gone. The people that did the work are now retired or in a new job they likley do not want to leave. So after a long period of time a client company's ability to return to inhouse locating is gone.
    That's very true, however it did not stop AT&T a few years ago from trying to take it inhouse. After multiple damages and finding out they could'nt keep up, SM&P got it back within a few months. New Wave is another example. SM&P had it for a few years around my area, and then they took it back inhouse. We have'nt gotten it back, but they have multiple damages every week (mostly drops) because they dont have the manpower to keep up with the ticket load. I believe the same would happen if Vectren took it back inhouse. I remember the last year that Vectren located, they had 130 damages. The first year we took over, we had 9.

Years of Experience

I heard that Synergy One will be taking over the Vectren contract and Citizens Gas contract January 1st 2014. Another major loss for USIC if that's true.