Thread: USIC1 - ? for you

Default USIC1 - ? for you

USIC1, We had talked before about the Surelock, I tried using a "universal" power supply to no avail, so I ordered the correct one from Heath and lo and behold, now that it's charging........ the light on the screen of the transmitter flickers intermittantly. I'm assuming this is normal to indicate that it's charging? Anyways, I'm planning to leave it charge over night and will play with it tommorrow.

P.S. - Any idea what a ring clamp for this thing is going to set me back?

Default Re: USIC1 - ? for you

Update on the situation......... Although I can power up the transmitter while the power supply is connected to a wall socket, as soon as you unplug the power supply, that's it.... finito.... No activity whatsoever. Anybody ever had one of these that the battery went bad in it? I'm guessing that's the problem, as it supposedly sat for 5 years or better.

Years of Experience
    na

OUT OF THE WAY THE REST OF YOU!!!

My expert knowledge is being requested!!!!

UUHHH??? I dont know... HA!

Quote Originally Posted by 2RUDE View Post
    the light on the screen of the transmitter flickers intermittantly.
    My transmitter screen does not flicker when plugged in and charging or ever ... There is a led bar that only shows bars (5?) for battery strength but it never flickers and that is all the screen shows when in charge mode...

Another locator in our office had a sure-lock whos battery went out but unsure of why...For some reason I thought it may had froze during the winter but unsure... It never was repaired to the best of my knowledge, and may have been because of cost of the battery???

P.S. - Any idea what a ring clamp for this thing is going to set me back?
    I dont know ring clamp cost either...

Sorry it is nt working...I still like the 480 with automatic gain( 810 and pipehorn in one)... No other equipment has that arrangement!!!

Hey we got a couple 8000s recently to try out-not me of course, Id be last on the list, but really dont care after discovering the highest frequency is 233khz... And no dial anymore for gain...Its supposedly light... But 233 is no 480...And who wants to get thumbitis tweaking gain buttons... Manufacturers always drop the ball on what could be the ultimate setup...

By the way not to get to involved in any details and I can ill afford to open up my messaging option and risk a deluge of disparaging remarks but do you know if any accounts in your region infiltrate across the border into washington,frederick, harford, or carroll countys??? And if so- is it only 1 facility or multiple??? Just curious...

Later
    Last edited by USIC1; September 4th, 2009 at 08:04 PM.

Shit. Well hopefully a battery doesn't put me back a weeks pay or better. Anyways, thanks for the information. I'm going to have to open it up again and have a look see. I talked to a repair tech at Heath a couple weeks ago when I ordered a charger and they were pretty friendly, maybe I can get some free troubleshooting over the phone on Monday.

I have yet to try out an 8000, but as I don't really care for the 4000 , I can't imagine being anymore impressed with the 8000.

As for Maryland, I'm not sure if we have any contracts that cross the state line or not, I'll see what I can find out on Monday and post back.

P.S.- I've been told that the Surelock transmitter will work with a pipehorn transmitter, can you confirm this to be true? As they're the same frequency it would make sense that they do.

Years of Experience
    na

P.S.- I've been told that the Surelock transmitter will work with a pipehorn transmitter, can you confirm this to be true? As they're the same frequency it would make sense that they do.

Yep!!! And the odd thing is, I just found that out this past week... Was up in Columbus pulled up near Larry who was bleeding on some phone drop near a pole dip with secondary and primary... So I was going to get the sure lock out to lend a hand, but he was already headed to the pole with his pipe horn box... I thought damn, I wouldnt need my transmitter anyway ( if it was same freq.) Grabbed reciever anyway and Sure nuff! I was pegging a signal off his pipe horn transmitter and picked up the secondary, but let him finish it out since the locate was his baby...

I had never attempted it before (never had a pipe horn) or hunted anyone to check it out...T-bone told me in Virginny he had worked the combo of pipe horn sure lock... Of course he s Mr Tester of anything he can get his hands on... Electronics ... Drinks... Food... You name it... Mr First...So you can imagine who got the 8000...

BTW , the 81khz has no ass on the surelock for induction... It cant touch the 810's 82 when applied inductively... Only time the 81 is good on a surelock is for short distance inductive depth readings...It has continuous readout for depth( you know for spotting cable yourself, not telling anyone any estimates or anything like that of course)..
    Direct connect I use 8khz on high power most the time for any distance...
    And passive is like pissin in the wind with the sure lock... Useless... IMO...

Everyone thinks its so big crap with the 8000 s blue tooth multi-frequency setup...

The Sure lock has an all frequencys ... So no big deal... May not be the same quality locate signal, but it still has it...

Also, remember being told by T, the Sure lock transmitter will make the pipe horn reciever smoke... It supposedly really lights up the pipe horn wand signal up... Not familiar myself...

Yeah, let me know on what coverage if any exists in MD...
    Last edited by USIC1; September 5th, 2009 at 11:56 AM.

This transmitter has me boggled. As long as it's plugged into AC power, it turns on cycles through all the different frequencies, etc. I fired up the receiver and the transmitter is obviously working fine, and the battery indicator shows as being fully charged. However as soon as you unplug the charger - nothing. Kind of a bummer as I'm dying to try this thing out. Anyways, I was able to cross reference the battery (It's the same type used in emergency lighting) and ordered one up for $12. Not near as bad as I thought it would be.
    Last edited by 2RUDE; September 5th, 2009 at 08:16 PM.

Well, got my $12 battery last night , hooked it up to the surelock leads and let it charge over night. Sure enough, that was the problem. Now figuring out the easiest way to get the old battery out and the new battery in. The damn thing is sandwiched in between everything else and you can't get at the screws.

Oh well, I'll get it figured out today. Anyways, thanks for the information USIC1.

Unit fixed and operational The old battery had stress cracks in it, indicating it had probably frozen after it had completely discharged.

Years of Experience
    na

AAAHHHH !!! Glad to hear you got it fixed... Hope it works out...
    Last edited by USIC1; September 13th, 2009 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by USIC1 View Post
    AAAHHHH !!! Glad to hear you got it fixed... Hope it works out...
    That book sounds awesome. Anyways, I got a callout today and took the surelock along. I Really like this thing. The constant depth display is pretty cool. I'm anxious to try out the 480K on some plastic gas that I have to pipehorn as there are no access points. Anyways, you get the time, fire up your pms and send one my way.

Years of Experience
    na

That book sounds awesome. Anyways, I got a callout today and took the surelock along. I Really like this thing. The constant depth display is pretty cool. I'm anxious to try out the 480K on some plastic gas that I have to pipehorn as there are no access points. Anyways, you get the time, fire up your pms and send one my way.
    Yeah, it was a neat book, deleted do to to much unrelative info...

That other 8000 locator under the technical category-200khz not enough pizzazz... Does nt cut it...

Anyway I m working on joining in the Levaquin lawsuit... Maybe some cha-ching???

I think I got a partially torn rotator cuff after taking a 40 day dose of the 750s for what turned out to be a frikin varicele...

I just need to hunt down the lottery ticket...I mean all the evidence...

Last edited by USIC1; September 18th, 2009 at 11:14 PM.

Years of Experience
    na

The Latest -

The sur-lock reciever did nt work with the model 800 transmitter....

Its still supposed to be 480 though...

hhmmm