Thread: usic what are you thinking?

Default usic what are you thinking?

As employee of USIC I offen have to ask what is upper management thinking. Mike P (DM) never read the employees handbook. Twice this year he has made decisions that we as locators had to go to hr with. Which one of his decisions was illegal. Also we are playing smoke and mirrors with consumers gas and eletric. Instead of letting tickets go late we rescheduled them so they dont show up late on the report to Consumers. Mike only cares to make a good name for himself. We are going to kill someone one day. I pray every night its not my area. Just what to end by saying I'm hoping next year we are better and don't have to reschedule tickets to make us look good.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Default Re: usic what are you thinking?

The rescheduling smoke and mirrors thing is not just Mike P idea, it is company wide I believe. In Illinois we had to reschedule tickets before they went late or they would show up on a report and then get a call from the supervisor. He would have to answer why in email. If the tickets went late they showed up on a report and the customer would question it. Also if they went late it was a fine from the customer.

We do that here also - even if you haven't spoken to the contractor.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

And if something bad happens as a result? It's on your head. Sooner or later the house of cards will fall. And they will take their money and run back to Toronto, leaving all of you ( and the rest of us as well) to clean up the mess. These jackasses need to be thrown out on their ears for playing Russian Roulette with the safety of our families, neighbours and communities.

Years of Experience

There's a reason they don't talk about these major changes and issues in a large group setting, like they did a few years back a la the yearly district meeting. Hell, we don't really even have meet sites for our crew anymore. These people don't want us talking in large groups for fear that we'll stand together and stand up for ourselves at some point. Nope, keep us separated and keep us down. People are mad and we'd all probably have something to say about the direction things are heading, but I don't think that would bother those in management because they're used to the griping and venting. No, I think their biggest worry is guys banding together and turning the tables on them for once.
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by big boots mcghee View Post
    There's a reason they don't talk about these major changes and issues in a large group setting, like they did a few years back a la the yearly district meeting. Hell, we don't really even have meet sites for our crew anymore. These people don't want us talking in large groups for fear that we'll stand together and stand up for ourselves at some point. Nope, keep us separated and keep us down. People are mad and we'd all probably have something to say about the direction things are heading, but I don't think that would bother those in management because they're used to the griping and venting. No, I think their biggest worry is guys banding together and turning the tables on them for once.
    Sounds like it is long overdue friend. Good luck to you guys.

I find it easier to do nothing. Why do it today when you can put it of until tomorrow!

Years of Experience

I feel really bad for you guys... I saw it coming and planned accordingly... I spent 4 yrs. with CUS and 6 looong mos. with USIC... All I can say as an experienced locator, who cares about his job and the quality of his work... keep doing what you can, that way you can never be held accountable as one of the ones who just half-assed their work just to keep numbers up... Locating will always be needed in your respective areas no matter who is signing the checks... I can't stress this enough... KEEP AN HONORABLE AND GOOD REPUTATION!!!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by The Big-E View Post
    I feel really bad for you guys... I saw it coming and planned accordingly... I spent 4 yrs. with CUS and 6 looong mos. with USIC... All I can say as an experienced locator, who cares about his job and the quality of his work... keep doing what you can, that way you can never be held accountable as one of the ones who just half-assed their work just to keep numbers up... Locating will always be needed in your respective areas no matter who is signing the checks... I can't stress this enough... KEEP AN HONORABLE AND GOOD REPUTATION!!!
    Great advice Big-E! It is indeed all about how you approach your job. It is the only thing that you truly control.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by big boots mcghee View Post
    I had a Manager a while back, named Gerald, Who actually told us at a meeting that he wouldn't discuss issues in a group setting. If we had any concerns about what was going on then we needed to see him individually. Holy Cow. Talk about bad management practices. He knew them all.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

I can't speak for other areas but down here the Supervisors have very little input into what the company does. When insurance costs goup they also pay more. Also, I'm hearing the DM's have very little say anymore. They are dictated to like the rest of us. Actually, I've heard their numbers will also be cut soon. So, having a face-to-face meeting and complaining to the Sups and/or DM's is just a poor use of good oxygen.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    I can't speak for other areas but down here the Supervisors have very little input into what the company does. When insurance costs goup they also pay more. Also, I'm hearing the DM's have very little say anymore. They are dictated to like the rest of us. Actually, I've heard their numbers will also be cut soon. So, having a face-to-face meeting and complaining to the Sups and/or DM's is just a poor use of good oxygen.

It really is horrible how all this is going down. I heard our DM, who I thought was a good guy, sit there and talk about the people that were getting cut as if they were garbage and deserved being thrown out. Making statements like " Does this guy even deserve this job?!?! " This guy ", happened to be not only a good guy but a damn good employee, but just because his numbers weren't high enough I guess he deserved to be talked about like he was trash and thrown to the curb. Not a single one of the people we lost were bad employees, some of them with babies on the way!!! We are no longer looked at as people but simply a number on a damn report and if you're in the bottom 8% of your district then kiss your sweet arse goodbye. I also heard how the selling point of the big dogs to the DM's was that they would stand to bonus from this and the DM's passed to the sups saying they all would benefit big time from bonuses in the coming year from all this. Talking a potential of 5,000 a year for sups in specific. So it's the age old sell your soul and your morals for money. Keep in mind this will never happen, it's just a preverbial carrot to chase after to make you do their dirty deeds with a smile. If we all don't do something to protect ourselves they will take everything they want from us to line their pockets with as much money as possible.
    Last edited by 6feetunder; October 30th, 2011 at 08:29 PM.
    Life's a garden, dig it! - Joe Dirt

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by 6feetunder View Post
    I also heard how the selling point of the big dogs to the DM's was that they would stand to bonus from this and the DM's passed to the sups saying they all would benefit big time from bonuses in the coming year from all this. Talking a potential of 5,000 a year for sups in specific. So it's the age old sell your soul and your morals for money. Keep in mind this will never happen, it's just a preverbial carrot to chase after to make you do their dirty deeds with a smile. If we all don't do something to protect ourselves they will take everything they want from us to line their pockets with as much money as possible.
    These are the same DM's and supervisors that chuckle when they talk about a possible upcoming bonus program for the technicians because they know it will never come to fruition. They've helped try to dangle the preverbial carrot in front of the technician's mouths for years. It's nice to see they're getting a turn as well.

Any tech that thinks they're going to get a respectable bonus program to earn some extra $$ is an idiot. Focus on the money you can make with your 40 hours a week, any overtime you can work, and maybe some traveling work. Any monetary bonus that these guys talk about isn't worth fretting over, and realize this: Once the suits realize a bonus program is easily attainable or actually motivates guys to try and achieve it, they get rid of it. And once it's gone the rumors of a new and better bonus program float around for years......
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by 6feetunder View Post
    It really is horrible how all this is going down. I heard my DM talk about people that were getting cut as if they were garbage and deserved being thrown out. Making statements like, "Does this guy even deserve this job?!?!" Because "this guy's" numbers weren't high enough he deserved to be talked about like he was trash and thrown to the curb.

[Locators] are no longer looked at as people but simply a number on a damn report. [Regardless of seniority, if a locator's production numbers] are in the bottom 8% of his district then he can kiss his sweet ass goodbye. The DMs stand to bonus from this action and the sups benefit with big bonuses also. Talking $5,000 a year for sups in specific. It's the age old sell your soul and your morals for money.
    Hey 6footer - A locator buddy of mine left SM&P a little over 10 years ago. Once, during his tenure with SM&P, he had a meeting with his DM. During the one-on-one meeting, the DM asked my buddy, "Hold that thought and give me a minute or two. I'm bidding on a Pokemon Doll on ebay and I don't want to be out bidded."

The Pokemon DM is still hanging around and it makes me wonder if that guy deserves his job; just sayin'.................

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by flagsrme View Post
    As employee of USIC I offen have to ask what is upper management thinking. Mike P (DM) never read the employees handbook. Twice this year he has made decisions that we as locators had to go to hr with. Which one of his decisions was illegal. Also we are playing smoke and mirrors with consumers gas and eletric. Instead of letting tickets go late we rescheduled them so they dont show up late on the report to Consumers. Mike only cares to make a good name for himself. We are going to kill someone one day. I pray every night its not my area. Just what to end by saying I'm hoping next year we are better and don't have to reschedule tickets to make us look good.
    I fully agree Flags. It does seem like Mike and the "others" at the office are just now concerned with production numbers and puting people on R.I.F. while there is still a big ticket volume that is coming in every day before the snow falls. Hours are down by at least 2-3 per day, per tech with an expected production number up 5-6 more tickets. If you are not on pace for 13+ tickets per 8 hrs by around noon, then you are sent home. This does not make any sense what so ever! This just puts more stress on the other techs still in the feild for the day because they then have their tickets plus the added extra from the tech that was sent home. Some of the Sup's and the DM are thinking all tickets are single lots if it has 1 address listed on ticket, nevermind if the ticket text it says that it is a joint meet for a project that is for a 20+ acre parcel or an entire city block.

After all is said, management needs to WAKE UP! I hope the cards are stacked too high and are about to fall down and create a mess he can't easily fix.