Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: USIC Robo Dispatch

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: USIC Robo Dispatch

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    That is one of their great fears, that a now short timer will slack off and leave a damage.

Their absolute greatest fear is that an employee who feels they have been cheated by and lied to by the company will intentionally leave a million dollar damage behind as revenge. I doubt a locator marking gas and or electric would do this as it risks the lives of the excavators.
    I hate to tell you, I've worked with locators who didn't give an "F" about the company or the excavators. Fortunately, These locators tend not to get the high profile tickets. It's probably a bit harder now with the electronic dispatch, but back in the day, it was nothing for a locator who was jumping ship to leave a few days worth of tickets under his seat when he left. Only to be found whenever the sup had someone clean out the rig.

When Companies hire any warm body for the work, you are going to have a few that don't care.

mke
    Wingfoot likes this.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    That is one of their great fears, that a now short timer will slack off and leave a damage.

Their absolute greatest fear is that an employee who feels they have been cheated by and lied to by the company will intentionally leave a million dollar damage behind as revenge. I doubt a locator marking gas and or electric would do this as it risks the lives of the excavators.
    When your biggest fear is your own karma coming back to you, it can make you a bit paranoid.
    second notice likes this.

Years of Experience

The updated GPS systems can do a number of things;

1. Tighter location data, the new systems can also receive data from GLONASS satellites and have a quicker location fix and much tighter location accuracy.
    2. New interfaces with the OBD port can record a number of additional items, such as; seat belt use, whether or not the passenger airbag is active (indicating you have a passenger in your truck), full engine diagnostics including average fuel economy, key position (On, Run, Accessory), number of dome light activations (indicating opening of driver door) and other seemingly minor things that can provide a chart/graph about the way you drive

Ever read 1984?
    daman1, Wingfoot and second notice like this.

Years of Experience

Hi Wingfoot! The new GPS units plug into OBDII port and are also "monitored" by Donlen fleet managment. most anything with a sensor can now be monitored. I also believe the decision to put cameras in trucks is being driven by the insurance companies. But where does it end? I wonder what will happen when then cameras get dust, dirt, pollen, etc. on them? B/C, It will be a cold day in hell before I clean one!!! I am sick of USIC crap. 5 years locating 4+ utilities'. I have had one plastic gas service damage and one drop damage (did not have pic of locked gate) charged to me. No doubt, I cared about this job and the work we do more than most in my area and would NEVER willfully put a contractor's life in danger. But, my attitude about this company is getting worse with each passing day. Except for Power and Gas for obvious reasons, I have always wondered how long I could go without a damage using just power/radio and/or witching sticks........ may find out very soon.
    Wingfoot likes this.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Unfortunately, this is the way of the industry. There is only a couple of different ways you can escape the mentality of the over bering, non-approachable, non-discript upper management ruled companies. 1) In-house for a utility, which is close to impossible to get. 2) Small locate company, which typically these guys start out as SUE or Private locating companies and try their hand at handling a small contract here or there.

If you are part of a large locating outfit, it doesn't matter what initials it goes by, they will all treat you similarly if their main income is derived by Large Contracts with multi state companies.

You almost can't fault them. They have a metric shit-ton of liability on their lap. They have to try and get as much of that off their plate as possible. If there is a discount on insurance to put in cameras... why not? The company will get a discount on unit pricing for the camera's and will shave a butt load of money off the insurance costs depending on how many vehicles they have roaming about. This limiting of liability is the same reason why your "Clock" doesn't start till you are at your first job and ends at your last. They don't want the liability of the drive to and from the job sites. Same reason why they don't want you to leave your car running. They use the pretense of saving the gas for the environment, but if that was the case, why don't they get you a hybrid or a 1.2L diesel? It's because they don't want you to leave the car running while unattended with a small fraction of wasting gas. Both reasons are to save moola.

Again, If I was running a company and had to hire 10 people to perform locates. Out of those 10, how many do you think would be trust worthy? All 10? Would you wager the money it takes for an insurance claim on either damaged utilities, damaged equipment, lost equipment, etc..? Knowing if you have too many your insurance will go up and if enough of them happen your carrier won't continue to carry your insurance?

The industry needs a change. Typically certified workers are not monitored as much as un-certified workers are. When's the last time you've seen an electrician with vehicle monitors on board? Surveyors?

mke
    daman1 and second notice like this.

Years of Experience

I hate the damn thing. So lifeless and controlled. I just grunt into the phone to activate it.
    Also the times, the phone picks up a sound, it starts over.

Years of Experience

THERE IS NO REASON TO FACE THE CAMERAS INWARD. NONE, WHATSOEVER! the new GPS units can all but paint a picture of what was happening in the event of an accident (speed, seat belt usage, braking, rpms, etc.) this info can be compared with other GPS information from cell phone & computer. facing the camera outward actually makes more sense and it is possible that these have a dual lens system, one facing out and one facing in. I have heard that the a**hole at USIC is the same a**hole that started this at STS/Utiliquest. If so, this would be on par with other management decisions by the top brass at USIC! I have talked with 5 locators in and outside of my district that have said they will also leave if this happens. Someday (could be when hell freezes over), I believe USIC will regret the day they ever put cameras facing inward. When morale and performance is down, damages go up. Who knows, some of the damages could be very costly to USIC.........might even lose a few contracts.

I have also thought that maybe they want the cameras facing inward b/c there are so many lazy, sorry ass locators that steal time from the company by "riding" tickets, going to the mountains with their uncle(s), or whatever. I understand this reason, but there are other ways this can be done with equipment already on hand.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by second notice View Post
    THERE IS NO REASON TO FACE THE CAMERAS INWARD. NONE, WHATSOEVER! the new GPS units can all but paint a picture of what was happening in the event of an accident (speed, seat belt usage, braking, rpms, etc.) this info can be compared with other GPS information from cell phone & computer. facing the camera outward actually makes more sense and it is possible that these have a dual lens system, one facing out and one facing in. I have heard that the a**hole at USIC is the same a**hole that started this at STS/Utiliquest. If so, this would be on par with other management decisions by the top brass at USIC! I have talked with 5 locators in and outside of my district that have said they will also leave if this happens. Someday (could be when hell freezes over), I believe USIC will regret the day they ever put cameras facing inward. When morale and performance is down, damages go up. Who knows, some of the damages could be very costly to USIC.........might even lose a few contracts.

I have also thought that maybe they want the cameras facing inward b/c there are so many lazy, sorry ass locators that steal time from the company by "riding" tickets, going to the mountains with their uncle(s), or whatever. I understand this reason, but there are other ways this can be done with equipment already on hand.
    In my experience well treated and properly compensated employees are much less likely to game the company. Lazy ass locators who steal time and company resources are also more likely to be busted out by co-workers who are loyal to their employers and don't want some lazy jaggass ruining a good, well paying contract for everyone.
    Last edited by daman1; July 15th, 2015 at 07:42 PM.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by second notice View Post

The cameras have two lenses, ne looking forward and one recording the inside of the cab. When properly set the motion actuator only records when there is an accident or very hard breaking. What these companies have been doing is setting the camera's motion sensor so low it goes off all the time. This records for disciplinary action, smoking, holding a drink or food, not wearing seat belt, not wearing clothing conforming to dress code, using cell phone while driving, and the list goes on. Also it has an open mike and hears everything you say inside the cab. It was designed to record only events 15 seconds prior and 15 seconds after an accident, it has been turned into a spy device.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    In my experience well treated and properly compensated employees are much less likely to game the company. Lazy ass locators who steal time and company resources are also more likely to be busted out by co-workers who are loyal to their employers and don't want some lazy jaggass ruining a good, well paying contract for everyone.
    Daman, I wish that were true in my area. I have come to believe that supervisors don't fire the lazy bums because it hurts their numbers and also makes things tougher on the other locators' that have to pick up the slack until a replacement is hired and "trained". And, it is usually a year before these newbies get any real tickets or any high profile areas or even go on-call.

I am guessing this policy will change when guys start leaving because of the cameras. I wonder what one "sick-out" day would do to this company? Generally, I am not in favor of things like that, but sometimes you got to fight a devil with a demon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12