Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ProfessionalLocator

Thread: USIC Questions

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    Default USIC Questions

    How does on-call work? If you put in 12 hours and get called in at 12am and finish at 6am, do you still have to go into the regular shift right after?

    Where do you train in Minnesota?

    How long is training?

    How much training is classroom and how much is hands-on, actually outside?

    Are the written tests multiple choice? How many questions and how do they score you?

    How many people per class on average?

    Do you get a company vehicle to take to and from training?

    After training do you get your truck, phone, tools and laptop?

    When do you restock your paint or other equipment? On company time or your own?

    When you are out for the first time by yourself and run into something do you just call the supervisor and they will walk you through it over ther phone or would they come to your location and help?

    When you go to a location what do you tell home owners or contractors? Do they follow you around?

    How many tickets do you get after training? Do they give you a little slack since you are new or are they ball-breakers?

    Are there set starting hours? Can you just decide to work overnight or start at like 4am?

    Is it normal for a person after just training to run into issues that need more experienced techs to help/solve? And do they treat you bad or have an attitude for doing so?

  2. #2
    Premium Conservative OVUS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    A little north of Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    365
    Years of Experience
    30
    Rep Power
    26

    Default Re: USIC Questions

    I'd start here: https://usicllc.com/
    Job Applicant: What does this job pay?
    Employer: I'm going to pay you just what you are worth!
    Job Applicant: I don't think I can work for that......

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: USIC Questions

    I have and has no info for the questions am after. Thanks though

  4. #4
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,525
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    113

    Default Re: USIC Questions

    I can't speak for USIC but every company I worked for expected you to work your regular shift regardless of not having slept in 24 hours. The best I got was permission to take a 3 hour nap in the truck when working at 3E. At Utiliquest before computers came in our foremen would alter the time sheets so it they did not show working employees without sleep. Was told in all places that we could go off the clock and go home and sleep if we needed to. The thing is when we came in the next day all our previous day's work was still there plus all the new jobs.

    I learned that to keep from falling asleep and wrecking the vehicle after completing an after hours locate to find a place to park and sleep. Then when the next call came in I was already out there. This eliminated a lot of drive time which became sleep time. I had blanket and spare shirt in vehicle just for this. Sometimes while oncall I would not get home for two or three days. Kept me safe and unharmed plus I made a lot of money.

  5. #5
    CPD
    CPD is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    36
    Years of Experience
    22
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: USIC Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman741 View Post
    How does on-call work? If you put in 12 hours and get called in at 12am and finish at 6am, do you still have to go into the regular shift right after?

    Where do you train in Minnesota?

    How long is training?

    How much training is classroom and how much is hands-on, actually outside?

    Are the written tests multiple choice? How many questions and how do they score you?

    How many people per class on average?

    Do you get a company vehicle to take to and from training?

    After training do you get your truck, phone, tools and laptop?

    When do you restock your paint or other equipment? On company time or your own?

    When you are out for the first time by yourself and run into something do you just call the supervisor and they will walk you through it over ther phone or would they come to your location and help?

    When you go to a location what do you tell home owners or contractors? Do they follow you around?

    How many tickets do you get after training? Do they give you a little slack since you are new or are they ball-breakers?

    Are there set starting hours? Can you just decide to work overnight or start at like 4am?

    Is it normal for a person after just training to run into issues that need more experienced techs to help/solve? And do they treat you bad or have an attitude for doing so?
    Back in the day at USIC when you started training the 1st or 2nd day you would of gotten your truck and all of the equipment that you needed to start locating with. Classes were about 4 to 6 weeks long depending on if they needed locators in the field right away. The written tests are about 95% multiple choice and maybe 1 week infield training. In Illinois we needed to passed the Nicor gas to work for USIC mandatory. You can expect about 10 to 17 poeple in the class rooms but when the training starts about 20% will drop out saying this job isn't for them. Anything you need to keep you working like supplies and other stuff for work is all on companys time. There is a rotation for oncall that you have to do and the "regular shift" as well for an example when you get done working the "regular shift" then your oncall starts at 5:00 PM all the way to 7:00 AM the next day. If you get any callouts you have to do them and if your out half the night the supervisor will be expecting you in the next day unless you call your sup and tell him or her you wont been in becuase you've been out all night. When I was there back in the day regular shift didn't exist one group of people (crew) and one shift that covers that area 24/7/365 days a year.
    Last edited by CPD; February 3rd, 2019 at 09:17 AM.

  6. #6
    CPD
    CPD is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    36
    Years of Experience
    22
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: USIC Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    I can't speak for USIC but every company I worked for expected you to work your regular shift regardless of not having slept in 24 hours. The best I got was permission to take a 3 hour nap in the truck when working at 3E. At Utiliquest before computers came in our foremen would alter the time sheets so it they did not show working employees without sleep. Was told in all places that we could go off the clock and go home and sleep if we needed to. The thing is when we came in the next day all our previous day's work was still there plus all the new jobs.

    I learned that to keep from falling asleep and wrecking the vehicle after completing an after hours locate to find a place to park and sleep. Then when the next call came in I was already out there. This eliminated a lot of drive time which became sleep time. I had blanket and spare shirt in vehicle just for this. Sometimes while oncall I would not get home for two or three days. Kept me safe and unharmed plus I made a lot of money.
    I never have to do that because my aera was close to my house and there was times I would of worked 19 hours before going home for that day. I made good money at USIC but had no life because of all the hours I had to Putin. Glad those days are over with for now lol.

  7. #7
    CPD
    CPD is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    36
    Years of Experience
    22
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: USIC Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by OVUS1 View Post
    I'd start here: https://usicllc.com/
    In 2006 when I started USIC never exist is was SMP the good old days we're management left you alone.

  8. #8
    Senior Member yahoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    4,118
    Years of Experience
    15
    Rep Power
    177

    Default Re: USIC Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman741 View Post
    How does on-call work? If you put in 12 hours and get called in at 12am and finish at 6am, do you still have to go into the regular shift right after?

    Where do you train in Minnesota?

    How long is training?

    How much training is classroom and how much is hands-on, actually outside?

    Are the written tests multiple choice? How many questions and how do they score you?

    How many people per class on average?

    Do you get a company vehicle to take to and from training?

    After training do you get your truck, phone, tools and laptop?

    When do you restock your paint or other equipment? On company time or your own?

    When you are out for the first time by yourself and run into something do you just call the supervisor and they will walk you through it over ther phone or would they come to your location and help?

    When you go to a location what do you tell home owners or contractors? Do they follow you around?

    How many tickets do you get after training? Do they give you a little slack since you are new or are they ball-breakers?

    Are there set starting hours? Can you just decide to work overnight or start at like 4am?

    Is it normal for a person after just training to run into issues that need more experienced techs to help/solve? And do they treat you bad or have an attitude for doing so?
    if you stay on this forum long enough ....someone from that area prolly GoldenBoy will answer most of those questions .most of the answers given so far are accurate for most states where USIC are located . That company does a good job for the most part in taking care of their employees. of course all sups in all areas in the US are NOT created equal ..ha
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

  9. #9
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,525
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    113

    Default Re: USIC Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    if you stay on this forum long enough ....someone from that area prolly GoldenBoy will answer most of those questions .most of the answers given so far are accurate for most states where USIC are located . That company does a good job for the most part in taking care of their employees. of course all sups in all areas in the US are NOT created equal ..ha
    They are doing a good job overall now. When they started they were awful. They are the ones in Texas that removed the air conditioners from the trucks to save gas. They did not mind employees risking their health in a 130 degree truck cab. It never occurred to them that employees so overheated made for lower production. What got the AC back was the laptop computers were shutting down and even failing due to the heat. They have improved since then.

  10. #10
    Senior Member yahoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    4,118
    Years of Experience
    15
    Rep Power
    177

    Default Re: USIC Questions

    I am thinking when they scooped up SM&P and then Premier , they started making a name for themselves.....??? Here in this state and most of the southern states, when they lost their bread and butter contract at&t , they just sat back with the little contracts , and waited.....then at&t fell right back in their laps. I think that tells me they are going to be around for the long haul say another 10 years or so . what do you guys think ??
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

  11. #11
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,525
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    113

    Default Re: USIC Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    I am thinking when they scooped up SM&P and then Premier , they started making a name for themselves.....??? Here in this state and most of the southern states, when they lost their bread and butter contract at&t , they just sat back with the little contracts , and waited.....then at&t fell right back in their laps. I think that tells me they are going to be around for the long haul say another 10 years or so . what do you guys think ??
    USIC I hear was started by expatriates from UtliQuest which was where their draconian treatment of employees came from. Since then they have strayed from the original concept in positive ways. When they were underbid by S&N for a contract they retained all their locators, no reduction in force. This kept their overhead the same with less income. Some USIC locators were enticed to leave and work for S&N and when the promises to them were not met USIC gladly to them all back. This kept S&N from hiring experienced locators and became dependent on hiring newbies, keeping a staff of locators from lost contracts elsewhere quartered in hotel rooms at about $110 each.

    USIC used this to improve service to their existing contracts and have a workforce of experienced locators ready to take the contract back. They defiantly are dug in for the long term and a force in the industry.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    868
    Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs
    Rep Power
    44

    Default Re: USIC Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    USIC I hear was started by expatriates from UtliQuest which was where their draconian treatment of employees came from. Since then they have strayed from the original concept in positive ways. When they were underbid by S&N for a contract they retained all their locators, no reduction in force. This kept their overhead the same with less income. Some USIC locators were enticed to leave and work for S&N and when the promises to them were not met USIC gladly to them all back. This kept S&N from hiring experienced locators and became dependent on hiring newbies, keeping a staff of locators from lost contracts elsewhere quartered in hotel rooms at about $110 each.

    USIC used this to improve service to their existing contracts and have a workforce of experienced locators ready to take the contract back. They defiantly are dug in for the long term and a force in the industry.
    USIC came about when a former Exec ( he had left sm&p to run the world food bank or something like that). He got friends and others to start an investment group. they purchased sm&p from the gas company that owned it. Sm&p at the time was #3 in size and then the purchases CLS which was number #4 I think. They merged the too under the new name USIC. Later they sold it off to the canada retirement fund group.

  13. #13
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,525
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    113

    Default Re: USIC Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by paintitnow View Post
    USIC came about when a former Exec ( he had left sm&p to run the world food bank or something like that). He got friends and others to start an investment group. they purchased sm&p from the gas company that owned it. Sm&p at the time was #3 in size and then the purchases CLS which was number #4 I think. They merged the too under the new name USIC. Later they sold it off to the canada retirement fund group.
    I was thinking some shakeup / replacements of top people was the source of the change in the direction USIC was heading. I hear SN Locating has under their new owners of about two years ago has had a significant change of leadership I hear the CEO no longer has control of locating.

    You have to understand the management structure of S&N, rot from the top. S&N Locating was created when S&N Construction wanted a Verizon contract in Virginia. Verizon told them they wanted them for the installation contract it requires the bidders to also provide locating. So S&N Locating was created to get the construction contract. Management of S&N Locating was a disaster because although a separate corporation was almost fully controlled by construction management, The CEO had no interest in locating and management structure was the same as construction. The management jobs almost exclusively went to family and friends of the construction management which was dominated by their family and friends. If a family member or friend of the CEO or those family and friends he had hired did not want the job then qualified people from locating were recruited.

    I hear that on of the surviving management from taken over StakeCenter Locating is in control now and the old CEO does not control him. That guy was saddled with a management team that needed a massive purge and years of reeducation of most of management.

    M hat is off to Steve Roarke who struggled through trying to make locating the best in the nation. Back then I had spoken with him many times and he knew how to operate locating properly. But every move he tried to make was countermanded by the construction people. IF I were Steve
    I would have left S&N to work for a competitor but he hung in there still trying. Being the visible person at the top he unjustly got the blame for the things corporate management imposed.

    This tread is about USIC and I used what I knew of S&N to illustrate a management structure that is undergoing a management change that USIC appears to be going through. I will start a thread about S&N so people can give current info.
    yahoo likes this.

  14. #14
    CPD
    CPD is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    36
    Years of Experience
    22
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: USIC Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    I was thinking some shakeup / replacements of top people was the source of the change in the direction USIC was heading. I hear SN Locating has under their new owners of about two years ago has had a significant change of leadership I hear the CEO no longer has control of locating.

    You have to understand the management structure of S&N, rot from the top. S&N Locating was created when S&N Construction wanted a Verizon contract in Virginia. Verizon told them they wanted them for the installation contract it requires the bidders to also provide locating. So S&N Locating was created to get the construction contract. Management of S&N Locating was a disaster because although a separate corporation was almost fully controlled by construction management, The CEO had no interest in locating and management structure was the same as construction. The management jobs almost exclusively went to family and friends of the construction management which was dominated by their family and friends. If a family member or friend of the CEO or those family and friends he had hired did not want the job then qualified people from locating were recruited.

    I hear that on of the surviving management from taken over StakeCenter Locating is in control now and the old CEO does not control him. That guy was saddled with a management team that needed a massive purge and years of reeducation of most of management.

    M hat is off to Steve Roarke who struggled through trying to make locating the best in the nation. Back then I had spoken with him many times and he knew how to operate locating properly. But every move he tried to make was countermanded by the construction people. IF I were Steve
    I would have left S&N to work for a competitor but he hung in there still trying. Being the visible person at the top he unjustly got the blame for the things corporate management imposed.

    This tread is about USIC and I used what I knew of S&N to illustrate a management structure that is undergoing a management change that USIC appears to be going through. I will start a thread about S&N so people can give current info.
    One day I'll post the story behind USIC about Michael B. Stayton and Rob M Tullman. Stayton be around this industry for a long time before SMP days.
    Last edited by CPD; February 6th, 2019 at 11:36 PM.

  15. #15
    Senior Member yahoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    4,118
    Years of Experience
    15
    Rep Power
    177

    Default Re: USIC Questions

    I am sure this will be good !!! can't wait .
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
A 'Rook Media' Website