Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By superman
  • 2 Post By Twitchin Witcher
  • 1 Post By Wingfoot
  • 1 Post By TheCableVine
  • 1 Post By Turk182

Thread: USIC questions

Default USIC questions

I was called in for an interview for USIC and had some questions. I have heard good and bad things and im just kinda wanting some info. I work in the oilfield in Oklahoma now and im 22 and kinda looking for something more permanent and more of a trade that i could start a career in. Im just kinda scared about it because all the mixed things ive heard. Any help would be appreciated

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Default Re: USIC questions

Wow I thought USIC problem in OK was that for all the BS and pay guys rather go to the oilfield rigs because they could make so much more money.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Okie1221 View Post
    I was called in for an interview for USIC and had some questions. I have heard good and bad things and im just kinda wanting some info. I work in the oilfield in Oklahoma now and im 22 and kinda looking for something more permanent and more of a trade that i could start a career in. Im just kinda scared about it because all the mixed things ive heard. Any help would be appreciated
    Locating is something you can make a career in. Sure, the oilfield maybe more money, but is it something you will be able to do when your 50? I got into locating when I was 21. I'm in my late 30's now and still feel that I can do this for a long time. There is alot of bs that comes with the trade, but you get that anywhere you go. I have to tell you though, locating is an art. It's not for just anybody. Some get it, some don't. Most people outside of locating think it's an easy job, but there is alot of stress that comes with it. Just sayin.
    Last edited by superman; October 9th, 2013 at 12:06 AM.
    Twitchin Witcher and Wingfoot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    Locating is something you can make a career in. Sure, the oilfield maybe more money, but is it something you will be able to do when your 50? I got into locating when I was 21. I'm in my late 30's now and still feel that I can do this for a long time. There is alot of bs that comes with the trade, but you get that anywhere you go. I have to tell you though, locating is an art. It's not for just anybody. Some get it, some don't. Most people outside of locating think it's an easy job, but there is alot of stress that comes with it. Just sayin.
    You are exactly right. the oilfield is not only unstable at times but if i keep doing it ill be running into serious physical problems by time im 30. Ive just heard rumors about never having any time off work and usic doing things like watching every little move you make and things like that. which im getting most of this info from former employee reviews online and some things ive heard on here. im just looking to learn a trade and begin a career as i begin my family and i wanna work towards my future. im a hard worker and am not looking for anything thats just easy and im good with managing time and stress so i think i would be ok. just dont wanna go work for a company that isnt worth a damn and i also need job security. ive been laid off before and thats not fun at all

Quote Originally Posted by Okie1221 View Post
    You are exactly right. the oilfield is not only unstable at times but if i keep doing it ill be running into serious physical problems by time im 30. Ive just heard rumors about never having any time off work and usic doing things like watching every little move you make and things like that. which im getting most of this info from former employee reviews online and some things ive heard on here. im just looking to learn a trade and begin a career as i begin my family and i wanna work towards my future. im a hard worker and am not looking for anything thats just easy and im good with managing time and stress so i think i would be ok. just dont wanna go work for a company that isnt worth a damn and i also need job security. ive been laid off before and thats not fun at all
    This is just my opinion.
    I stumbled into locating after the bottom fell out of the Hi-Tech world and I fell right with it. I saw an add for SM&P (now USIC) and decided to give it a try. Superman is right, locating is an art and not for everyone. SM&P offered me force fed training and sent me to the field green as heck. I struggled hard to learn on my own and made a couple of great friends that were willing to share the trade secrets and now I can't imagine working in any other field (except for those days that I want to tell my boss to shove it up his a$$ and go home) all of us have those days in this industry.
    SM&P was good for giving me the chance to learn a new career. If you are the "Special Breed" that it takes to be a great locator then take the leap and go for it.
    Wingfoot and yahoo like this.

Years of Experience

Greetings Okie! Thanks for becoming a member of TheCableVine! I have many friends close enough to be family living in the great state of Oklahoma. Particularly Oklahoma City (tied into my part-time race tire gig) and a couple of buddies in Tulsa; a cop and a foreman on a deep dig crew.

I agree with superman and the Twitcher - it takes a special type of person to make a career out of paintin' dirt. It does not take a rocket scientist to become a good utility locator. It takes a heavy dose of common sense to become successful in this trade. Common sense like, "This structure has every utility I'm responsible for feeding it and is in the way unless I prove it's not." Also, "Every utility I'm responsible for in the road right-of-way is in conflict until I prove it's not."

What gets locators in trouble is assuming their utility is not in conflict. A successful locator will NEVER assume. A buddy of mine had an unmarked fiber cut along with two unmarked copper cables on a job for a sanitary sewer and water hook-up on a new foundation. The local water department marked their water main on the wrong side of the street before my buddy showed up on the job! My buddy ASSUMED the water main was marked correctly and knowing the fiber and copper cables were not in conflict with the water main as marked decided to leave the fiber and copper unmarked. The backhoe operator couldn't find the mis-marked water main so jumped to the opposite side of the street (where everything was supposed to be clear) and pulled up the unmarked lines on his third bite!

But I digress. There are many chances for advancement if the paint fumes get too thick for you. I've been a locator for 17+ years and enjoy this work. I've never wanted to be a manager or support staff in this trade but the opportunities have been plentiful if I chose to do so.

Good luck to you if you take the plunge and The Cable Vine is a good place to get answers if you choose to become one of us! Luv Ya Man!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

At 22 you still have plenty of time to make mistakes. If you decide to try locating and don't like it then you can easily find something new. Chalk it up as experience and move on. If you do like it, then great, we will look forward to your stories and input.

The utility industry is huge and learning to locate may spark an interest in other areas of the industry. If I were younger I would seriously consider getting into one of the utility fields whether it be gas, electric, phone etc.... Start from the bottom and move up to management where the money is.
    Wingfoot likes this.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

will you be able to pay your bills at what they start you off at ??? if so than good luck ! You can be just as great as the next guy ! same crap different man telling you what to do ...that's all !
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    na

I read an article of late about homeowners installing those nat gas to lng conversion systems at their homes for vehicle use. You got UPS rolling out more of their own LNG stations at their terminals.

I say go with anything nat gas related... That has a huge expansion potential right now...

It would be best to shoot for higher up the food chain IMO...

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

At USIC a lot depends on whether you get a good supervisor or not, some of them take care of the guys on their crew and make things fair for everyone, the last one I had there was just a lazy SOB that put no effort into his job, other than look for reasons to fail you on audits.
    Twitchin Witcher likes this.