Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: USIC Pay Cuts for locator in NC

Locating both sides of the road, so the chicken can bore underneath it...
    Years of Experience
    too many

Default Re: USIC Pay Cuts for locator in NC

From what I have seen, most of the USIC techs in my area are already going "old school". They are dounle and even triple checking everything they do, potholing cables they have located hundreds of times, and just slightly slow down a little bit each time here and there.

I want to think the top pay for USIC techs in NC is just about 18.00 an hour from what I can gather from the guys that have been there the longest.

My main probelm with pay cuts is this: You continue to raise and push production goals and expect these techs to deal with more BS at each and every ticket and then expalin (or defend) themselves when the GPS shows they stopped at an "unscheduled stop" for about 5 minutes to go to the bathroom or to stop get get a bag of ice in your cooler or the grab a cold Gatorade or something. I have been self employed a few times, and I never expected the guys that worked for me to take a pay cut and then turn around and expect even more work out of them. If money was tight, I took a small pay cut for a bit so I could pay my guys what they were worth.

Most of this situation could be avoided enitrely if all levels of management from field supervisor all the way up to the CEO would get their heads out of their butts and realize that MANAGEMENT doesn't make money, LABOR DOES. Without sufficient labor to make said money, there would be much less MANAGEMENT needed. Just like the employment situation the US is currently involved in. Government doesn't create jobs, the economy does. What funds the government does provide to small business usually don't last very long, then the small guys are in the same boat they were in to begin with.

The President keeps talking about the economic recovery, but I have yet to see it. The cost of everything is going up, from day care, to loaves of bread, unemployment is either steady, then drops, then goes back up, but supposedly all sorts of jobs have been created. Unfortunately, the situation isn't looking much better for most of the unemployed that really want to work, nor is it looking good for the average working man as taxes and hidden government fees are on the rise.

And with companies like USIC doing what they are doing, all I can say is this: A happy employee is an employee that will back you up no matter what. If you crap on your workers or treat them like a bunch of foster kids and show them that you don't trust them, do you think these employees will back you up and be proud of what they do and who they work for? I think not.

In most cases I am ashamed to tell people what I do and who I work for. I have all sorts of hats and jackets and shirts from my employer and I do not wear them since syaing who I work for and what I do makes me feel like I am nothing. That is why I have been trying to get out of contract locating for a few years now, with no sight of any kind of light coming from the other end of the tunnel, except for the express freight train with 1000 fully loaded box cars and no brakes, that is rolling full throttle down hill towards me head on.
    "No, installing your fence is NOT an emergency"...

- or -

"It's call BEFORE you dig, not AFTER you've hit something."

Yes, my avatar does describe my attitude towards many others...

Years of Experience

I'm kinda, sorta with spray on this one. I smell a little BULLSHIT here.........................

---------------------------------------------------

Sounds like the same rumors that were floating around when PA was undergoing contract re-negotiations. Didnt they loose their union contract..I'm not sure if they did or not just heard that they did. Also know that PA gets paid more than NC so if NC is getting $18 what is PA getting hourly??

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    I'm kinda, sorta with spray on this one. I smell a little BULLSHIT here.........................

---------------------------------------------------
    Care to elaborate? Luv ya man!!

Well, I don't know if it's all BS, but if NC is averaging $18 per hr, that's probably about $3 per hr higher than here in Texas. Also, if Stayton said the April raises were to be company-wide, then I'm not sure how they are going to spin that. No offense to anyone but it sounds more like rumor than fact.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    Well, I don't know if it's all BS, but if NC is averaging $18 per hr, that's probably about $3 per hr higher than here in Texas. Also, if Stayton said the April raises were to be company-wide, then I'm not sure how they are going to spin that. No offense to anyone but it sounds more like rumor than fact.
    NC makes $ 19 per hour by the way

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I really hate to tell you guys this, but here it goes anyway....

Most of the locating industry is comprised of Contract locating firms. These firms are ran by people who rarely (if ever) have had a Locator in their hands. These people are only driven by profit, and by the requests the utility owners have placed on them. Both the Utility owners as well as the management in the contract locating firms consider locating as an "Unskilled Laborer". The reason they have this oppinion is because there is no official training, certification, or licensing of this profession. Because of that they feel that then can replace any locator with any "Joe" from the streets. This is where they start playing the # game. Why pay 19bucks an hour for work that can preformed by a guy making 10 - 12 bucks an hour.

I know this raises the hackles on most of the senior locators out there, but its the way the industry leaders think. We are truely a Redheaded step-child. The Utility Companies don't want to claim us. The Unions don't want to claim us. There is so much industry infighting between the companies that two companies can not agree on one issue, except that the other company sucks.

Standards First, then comes the Pay. It sucks, but why whould the pay go up, if the level of service doesn't have a constant.

Mke

Talked to my friend in NC today about this and he said that far as he knows the negotiations are still in progress. So the rumor about NC not having an union contract is false. Probably be a while before anything is settled since their contracts just expired back in Dec and we saw how long the PA negotiation took.

Right now all this talk about cut pay and what not is total BS for now.

a contract stays in place until another contract is negotiated. once a contract is voted on and ratified, the only way it goes away is for a new contract voted in and ratified or the union is voted out.

Its not BS if its being discissed in negotiations.

If you were Mgmt. You would know already. Get everyone involved,if you dont the results will not be what you are used to.

Years of Experience

thats what were afraid of

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12