Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: USIC Pay Cuts for locator in NC

Locating both sides of the road, so the chicken can bore underneath it...
    Years of Experience
    too many

Default USIC Pay Cuts for locator in NC

I have just heard from a source inside USIC that the "union" contract negotiations in NC have failed. It was told that the lawyers from USIC handed out their proposal and stated that the union contract did not matter anymore.

Per the company lawyers, locators in NC are paid 3.00 per hour too high and pay cuts are coming. Also, the old damage policy for NC is null and void. After 2 damages in a one year period, the locator will be sent home for 4 days without pay.

Also, as for pay raises, you will not get a raise unless YOUR supervisor and manager feel that you deserve a raise and have been damage free for the year and have met 100 percent of your "production goals". So fat chance of ever getting a raise ever agin if you work for USIC.

So all of you guys in NC and across the United States that think USIC is a great company to work for, you might want to get the vaseline ready and BOHICA (bend over, here it comes again).
    Nb22x likes this.
    "No, installing your fence is NOT an emergency"...

- or -

"It's call BEFORE you dig, not AFTER you've hit something."

Yes, my avatar does describe my attitude towards many others...

Default Re: USIC Pay Cuts for locator in NC

Just another example for those wanting to work in the seventh circle of hell(USIC). All the hard work we do day after day, USIC rewards us with a pay cut. I have never seen a company treat their employees so bad. Morale is in the tank now, just wait until the pay cuts are put in place. Once the pay cuts are put in place, there will be a lot of people quiting USIC . IF you think pay cuts is where the misery will end, think again. Even worse things and policies are coming!!

I have been in the locating industry for over a decade now and USIC is by far the WORST locating firm out there.

Good Luck to all of you that are going through HELL with USIC

USIC = USUK

Years of Experience
    15+

loss of Morale is happening all across the board,and if they start cutting pay across the board thats when the locators will say enough is enough.
    USIC will lose their good employee's and they will lose their contracts

Years of Experience

Locators said enough is enough long ago.
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

You should inform them that you have been doing too much work for the pay you've been getting so you will be cutting back on the amount of work you will be doing.

I can't wait til I retire.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

They have to pay for the St. Louis damage somehow and just wait for all the new policies that will come from that
    "BOHICA" Bend Over Here It Comes Agin

Locating both sides of the road, so the chicken can bore underneath it...
    Years of Experience
    too many

What was the damage in St. Louis? I don't think I've heard of that one yet....
    "No, installing your fence is NOT an emergency"...

- or -

"It's call BEFORE you dig, not AFTER you've hit something."

Yes, my avatar does describe my attitude towards many others...

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by locator_smbk View Post
    What was the damage in St. Louis? I don't think I've heard of that one yet....
    Mis-marked duct package, half a dozen cables cut including a couple big pulp cables. Similar to the hit in Champaign IL late last year that took out the 911 system and most of the town. The St. Louis hit didn't involve any cut fiber though.

Years of Experience

You can't expect your people to take care of you if you're only concerned with the bottom line. In any business. That's proof that these goofs aren't in it for the long haul like you are, and that they couldn't care less about you as a human being. What more do you need to WAKE THE HELL UP!!!

Before I react to a story like this I would need to know what the Union rate of pay was to begin with and why the Union isn't striking. The last I heard was everyone was getting raises, based on th 4 Goals = Production, Damages, On-Time and Safety. This was to happen on or around April 1st.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    Before I react to a story like this I would need to know what the Union rate of pay was to begin with and why the Union isn't striking. The last I heard was everyone was getting raises, based on th 4 Goals = Production, Damages, On-Time and Safety. This was to happen on or around April 1st.
    What they are doing is trying to break the union. A big part of this is the time of the year, they are trying to goad the locators into a strike when the ticket load is the lowest. there will always be some union people who will cross the picket line and they are counting on these people to get the work done while ticket volume is low.

What they need to do is work without a renewed contract until the load picks up and then strike for their wages and back pay for from the pay and benefit cuts to when the contract is renewed. The company figures they probably can withstand a strike right now but not when the load picks back up so they will try to force a strike at this time.

Wait, be patient and use the next several months to prepare, save every penny they can. Do not do a work slow down until the few days before a strike deadline. Expect them to go to the governor and say that they are a critical safety provider and ask that an injunction preventing the strike be granted. Be prepared to stand as a group in front of the governors mansion and say go ahead, put us in jail and the utilities will still not be marked and construction will be stopped statewide.

Years of Experience

Yes Pro, it sure looks like union busting season is here again. If there is anything a private equity firm hates in this world, it's collective bargaining, or any other move by their workers to assert themselves in the face of adversity. USIC has already tipped it's hand early in the season by reneging on it's promise to assess and give raises/promotions at the first of the year to their techs, effectively pushing back to the second quarter. Now it's more "money saving" strategies like this one to squeeze their employees even further in 2011.

What I don't understand is this: What is it going to take for you guys as a group to say ENOUGH!? I don't mean the NC techs in specific, but company wide. You guys bust your asses, I see this every day. You guys try to do your best, I see that every day as well. These folks are EVIL PLAIN AND SIMPLE. There is no logical way to defend what they are doing. I am all for capitalism, and I'm about the most conservative working man you are ever going to find in the Midwest. But there is no defending this company or it's policies, because it beats down those who generate the revenue and by cutting corners so severely it is endangering the public at large.

The union in NC is only about 15% strong, which means they are not strong enough (in numbers) to fight back. Production WILL drop if pay cuts are put in place. You dip into our pockets we will dip into yours.

USIC = USUK

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by locator00566 View Post
    The union in NC is only about 15% strong, which means they are not strong enough (in numbers) to fight back. Production WILL drop if pay cuts are put in place. You dip into our pockets we will dip into yours.

USIC = USUK
    When the employees decide that they are being cheated they do find way to get what they figure is theirs back. The first thing that is seen is lowered productivity. The most costly are the things that are not readily seen, the creation of overtime to make up for lost wages.Theft is another thing that hits these firms.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by locator00566 View Post

USIC = USUK
    15% strong now, wait for the pay cuts to sink in over a couple of months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast