Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USIC MSP District voting on union

Years of Experience

Default Re: USIC MSP District voting on union

Quote Originally Posted by sniper113 View Post
    I would think long and hard about voting union in a locate shop ANYWHERE. There are lots of promises that the union can make (and the company can't even discuss changes) during a union voting process. Seriously, the company needs you as an employee. What does the union need? Consider that before talking unions.
    Consider as well that the locate firms CANNOT LEGALLY attempt to talk you, or anyone else for that matter, out of organizing your workplace. Amazing how they disregard your efforts to deal with workplace issues, but the second their bottom line is threatened they want to sit down and work with you! They run you around worse than most Americans treat their illegal hired help, and when you stand up for yourself they have a list a mile long about how this is the biggest mistake you could ever make, you are killing the company blah...blah...blah.....

What other choice do you guys have? What else can you give up so retired Canadians can buy more back bacon in 2012?

In other words, what's next? Paying for your own gas? Paint? Flags?

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Consider as well that the locate firms CANNOT LEGALLY attempt to talk you, or anyone else for that matter, out of organizing your workplace. Amazing how they disregard your efforts to deal with workplace issues, but the second their bottom line is threatened they want to sit down and work with you! They run you around worse than most Americans treat their illegal hired help, and when you stand up for yourself they have a list a mile long about how this is the biggest mistake you could ever make, you are killing the company blah...blah...blah.....

What other choice do you guys have? What else can you give up so retired Canadians can buy more back bacon in 2012?

In other words, what's next? Paying for your own gas? Paint? Flags?
    What is written above should be given very careful consideration by the company managements that read these pages. (they do!)

Once the employees are mistreated too far they will organize regardless of any disadvantage and would be just as happy if it did cost the company it's contracts. Once workers are pushed to the point they feel they have nothing to lose they will go union. They figure their jobs are going down the toilet and if unionization costs all the contracts at least they dragged some bosses and owners down. Then they have a chance of hiring on with the firm that gets those contracts. True such firms do not want those employees but when they take a contract that took 50 or 100 locators to cover they are hard pressed to fill their roster any other way. Also the new firm knows what just happened to the firm they replaced and are more likely to be careful of how they treat their locators. (except for two big firms I keep seeing mentioned here, I doubt they would treat anyone any better)

If it wasn't for those retired Canadians we would have 4600 of our brothers and sisters in the unemployment line right now. The company can NOT speak during the union negotiations but you can bet the employees have their attention. It is a shame that it takes the threat of a union to get the executives attention, sounds like USIC has some local management issues going on..... Good Luck to you all!

If it wasn't for those retired Canadians we would have 4600 of our brothers and sisters in the unemployment line right now. The company can NOT speak during the union negotiations but you can bet the employees have their attention. It is a shame that it takes the threat of a union to get the executives attention, sounds like USIC has some local management issues going on..... Good Luck to you all!
    Uh , excuse me, but if all 4600 of us lucky employees were on unemployment, who would be locating for AT&T, Verizon, and several hundred other companies? I hate to be the one to break the news to you, but I had a locating job way before these retired Canadians ever became involved.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    Uh , excuse me, but if all 4600 of us lucky employees were on unemployment, who would be locating for AT&T, Verizon, and several hundred other companies? I hate to be the one to break the news to you, but I had a locating job way before these retired Canadians ever became involved.
    It doesn't get more true than what spray just said... one way or another, things still have to get located no matter what the company is...keep your integrity and your good reputation as an individual locator and no matter what the situation, you should always be employed...

The decals on the truck may change from time to time, but that doesn't mean you as an individual have to also...

Couldn't have said it better myself,Only so much stuff can roll down hill to catch. Now it's our turn to start throwing it back uphill,and if we throw enough maybe we will be able to bury some of those worthless no minds.Give them some of their own medicine.Don't know if the union is the answer,but what have we to lose.And by the way,We will always have jobs,Maybe just a different company.

Talking Re: USIC MSP District voting on union

I got the best news today. We are getting some help, from Kansas of all places. I guess they are not busy enough so they are sending us help here in Colorado. SWEET. Now I can go ahead and take my scheduled vacation next week. Thank you KANSAS.

Uh, pardon me, but if this group goes union you better be prepared for the jobs to be filled by non-union workers that are currently in the job market trying to make a living on unemployment benefits. That's all that I was saying. As for the breaking news - I had a job before contract locating existed too. I only want to make sure that we don't get all hyped up on the cablevine and bite the hand that feeds us all. Sorry that I ruffled your feathers "spray". I enjoy your wisdom on the vine and look forward to reading more posts in the future. However we have many brothers and sisters out here that need their job and by voting union it gets sorta complicated. Good Luck to everyone!

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

Uh, pardon me, but if this group goes union you better be prepared for the jobs to be filled by non-union workers that are currently in the job market trying to make a living on unemployment benefits. That's all that I was saying. As for the breaking news - I had a job before contract locating existed too. I only want to make sure that we don't get all hyped up on the cablevine and bite the hand that feeds us all. Sorry that I ruffled your feathers "spray". I enjoy your wisdom on the vine and look forward to reading more posts in the future. However we have many brothers and sisters out here that need their job and by voting union it gets sorta complicated. Good Luck to everyone!
    That can't fire you for unionizing, it's a lawsuit they can't win and it would cost them a fortune to boot.

Here in the DFW area there aren't over a handful of ex-locators out of jobs. In fact, most of them that left were re-employed within 60 to 120 days in different careers. There would be very few available to 'bust' a union. On the other hand, I know of very few current employees that would vote union.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Don't really have to worry about competing firms since USIC buys them all. However if things were to stay the way things are now and a Union does not get involved most of us will leave anyway within the next few years. They bring this situation on themselves. PLay nice with the people who step in shit to make your investors happy. Don't tell your experienced techs if you don't like how things are your more than welcome to find another job... "WE JUST MIGHT" And its happening already. There won't be anyone left to vote union if the union waits to long as I am looking to get out of locating myself now.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by foster_grant View Post
    I got the best news today. We are getting some help, from Kansas of all places. I guess they are not busy enough so they are sending us help here in Colorado. SWEET. Now I can go ahead and take my scheduled vacation next week. Thank you KANSAS.
    I live in a state on the east side of Kansas(not gonna say which one to help stay anonymous) and I too got an email asking if I wanted to go to Colorado for a week and help out. Unfortunately I can't leave my family like that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12