• I kinda doubt it

12 41.38%
  • I sure hope not

7 24.14%
  • I would rather locate in Russia than for USIC

10 34.48%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USIC, to many damages,selling off to un-named fortune 500 co's 2012-2013

Years of Experience

Default Re: USIC, to many damages,selling off to un-named fortune 500 co's 2012-2013

I'm with Bad Robot... I feel real bad for all the legit locators who are still stuck with this behemoth conglomerate and feel they have no other way out...
    The more legit locators USIC loses, the quicker they will fold and hopefully something better will arise out of this situation.
    When I started with CUS in the midwest almost 5 yrs. ago... it was my dream job... fun work, decent pay, freedom, and a company truck... what more could you want...
    now it's just totally micro-managed and penny-pinched to death as to make the job so intolerable, you don't even want to get up in the morning each day to face it...

I'm on my third week of being an "in-house" locator now with my new job and am loving it BTW...

cheers

Years of Experience

Default Re: USIC, to many damages,selling off to un-named fortune 500 co's 2012-2013

Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    You're right. The utilities never should have been allowed to out-source these jobs. Public safety shouldn't be profit driven and trusting your infrastructure to the lowest bidder is insane. The safety margins have been slowly peeled away over the years. Now, the only way to keep shareholder profits rising is through more cuts risking major damages or through creative accounting. What's done is done though.
    So what do you do about it now? Labor unions would do to locate companies what they did to GM. Public worker unions would do what they did for airport security. Utility prices would rise if locates were pulled back in-house causing a public outcry. The costs of anything you do will be passed on to the consumer (ie. me and you) so I don't know. As long as locate companies are publicly traded these issues will not go away. It's easy to complain, not so easy to solve.
    All I've ever wanted wanted was to earn enough money to support my family and have enough time at the end of the day to spend with them. Someone has to loose in this and I'm sick of it being the locator. If you were king what would you do?
    USIC is a private equity arm of a Canadian municipal retirement system. They only exist to generate profit. My hope in all of this is that maybe by them pushing this as far as they have, we will be forced to deal with the ugly truth here. We need to make the public safety priority one again, and to hell with the profit motive.

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    Ya'll just don't understand - It's the mean old customer's fault! They demanded that locates be done for less and USIC had no choice but to bid on these 'cheap' contracts. But, in order to do that, they had to cut our raises, hours and insurance so those 'poor' retired municipal employees in Canada can put bread and water on the table.
    When you guys first mentioned OMERS, I thought you were referring some other investment firm.. but if this is the same one.. then..
    I OWN YOU !! lol
    Now get out there you guys and make me some retirement money.

Really though, one investment company is like the other. They dont care much about what goes on down at the end of things.. they invest in a company when its worth x and sell it off if its worth y or projected to do this and that etc.
    Another company will buy the shares up then, its a churn. I know OMERS owns big office buildings and other company's office complexes, they probably own other investment companies too. I highly doubt OMERS has any effect on the method of company operation that USIC chooses.. no more so than any other investment company would.

OMERS holds about $53B in investments. Much larger is the Ontario teachers pension plan (OTPP), with $107B in assets. Of course, both of these companies pale in comparison to the mega multinational investment companies out there...
    (May you live in interesting times)

Years of Experience

Hate to burst your bubble Dave, but not all investment companies are the same. Private equity firms are the pits when it comes down to how employees are treated, and OMERS has a rep in that business as being one of the worst. So compared to Kohlberg, who used to own USIC.....not so good for the techs.

Years of Experience

as usual I agree with what is said here!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    AT&T would never go back in-house because they are now using damages as a profit generator and so is Verizon. They are basically guaranteed that every damage is paid for by the contractor or USIC. Since the going rate for repairing a copper drop is around $300.00, they clear at least $200 for each one that's cut. Forget it on a major cut - they charge about $100 per hour, per employee, including breaks and lunches.

If they had in-house locating, the would get zero for a lot of these damages.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12