Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By yahoo
  • 3 Post By Ferrum

Thread: USIC locators getting short straw this summer

Years of Experience

Default USIC locators getting short straw this summer

USIC up here lost a lot of senior techs recently and I think they're starting to feel it a bit. Xcel energy seems to be drawing off the usic pool to replace their in house locating and leaving the national firm with a lot of 1 or 2 year techs. The guys I'm on a first name basis with are sitting on 140+ tickets everyday and haven't had more then a couple Saturdays off all summer. I get probably 3 1hour relocates a day for unmarked utilities. Just seems to be getting out of hand and were in a slow patch before the fall push. I guess they might be liking the overtime pay as its pretty much unlimited if you want it.

Years of Experience

Default Re: USIC locators getting short straw this summer

no problems ....your company has lots of money to pay damages ..........unlimited amount ! Hang in there .
    daman1 likes this.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

I don't work for USIC but I think the more worrying part for them is loosing contracts. The rural electric companies and smaller telephone companies hate damages. Maybe enough to let go of the lowball company.

Years of Experience

The USIC guys in my area are horribly overworked because USIC keeps lowballing contracts and getting more and more utilities to locate on each ticket. Right now, they've got at least three utilities on every ticket and no dead-zones. Trying to mark everything correctly, even on small lots, and get around to all of your tickets in a timely fashion..... I can't even imagine it.

USIC has one locator for three decent-size counties. Compare that to the local utility Co-Op that covers water, electricity and gas for one county..... they've got 5 locators. Guess which locators love their jobs and don't ever want to leave?
    Nb22x, yahoo and Tom Edward like this.