• 1 Post By CWVines
  • 1 Post By CWVines
  • 2 Post By Taylorkilla
  • 1 Post By yahoo
  • 1 Post By ProfessionalLocator

Thread: USIC idle time

Years of Experience

Post USIC idle time

I am constantly in trouble for having a higher than average idle time. The savings generated when uoinstay below the designayed percentage are only 1-2 dollars a day. All the while you are dripping all over your computer. I have a theory that the sups get a bonus if it stays under some number. They don't tell the locators, they just crack that whip about the damn truck getting turned off. Wasn't I here to mark utility lines??? I'm just very frustrated at constantly being told I'm not doing something right. No damages, but every day I'm hearing about some report that wasn't good enough. It's like I'm back in English lit.

Years of Experience

Default Re: USIC idle time

Anytime I was in my truck it was running. The truck is the locators office. I don't see the PR dept sitting in a 90 degree office in the summer. Also, it is kind of hard to turn the truck off in winter if they haven't changed their paint yet. Water based paint and cold temps don't mix well. The only way to get any work done is to keep the paint warm. Just my opinion.
    daman1 and mattm211 like this.

Years of Experience

if you can help it any....I know its hot ...try and meet them half-way and I am sure you won't hear anything else from them....
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Taylorkilla View Post
    I am constantly in trouble for having a higher than average idle time. The savings generated when uoinstay below the designayed percentage are only 1-2 dollars a day. All the while you are dripping all over your computer. I have a theory that the sups get a bonus if it stays under some number. They don't tell the locators, they just crack that whip about the damn truck getting turned off. Wasn't I here to mark utility lines??? I'm just very frustrated at constantly being told I'm not doing something right. No damages, but every day I'm hearing about some report that wasn't good enough. It's like I'm back in English lit.
    I would turn the truck off when I got out to do a locate, back on when I got back inside. But not always possible because they did little maintenance and the old batteries ran down when flashing lights on and sometime just the laptop would drain the battery.
    The Big-E and yahoo like this.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    if you can help it any....I know its hot ...try and meet them half-way and I am sure you won't hear anything else from them....
    And then slowly but surely go back to running the truck. I'd rather get bitched at from time to time than have a heat stroke or frost bite.
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience

CIG is the same way. But with temps reaching 100+ with index, they kind of quit bringing it up. The only constant is bitching about production. JS
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience

Same for me. I get In my 100+ degree truck after locating a 1/2 mile fiber run drenched to the balls and all I hear is it need to be below 25% . I think our sup gets a bonus for idle time, tickets closed and if the group makes daily/monthly production numbers... Nag nag nag. Sounds like my last 2 ex wives.
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience

My laptop constantly dies. So I was running it off my inverter. So had to have truck battery replaced. So I bought a 12v charger with my own money so I don't need inverter. I carry a 22000 mah battery to charge one phone while other is plugged into 1 12v socket and laptop in other 12 v socket.

Years of Experience

the bosses do not get any bone- us money for helping with idle time they are just trying mostly to put on a good show for their bosses. some of them are trying to do good things for the company to hide their own faults . some bosses with these contract companies are really good and their employees take care of them to do the right things most of the time , that keeps everyone happy for the most part. ONE good boss with USIC is up in the Oregon area .
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Dude they want ours below 7.5%

Im just trying my best and then once I reach that level-that really wondrous level of hot-I have a hard time being as accommodating.

It is awesome to say these things to people who know what I;m talking about and actually will engage about work topics. Thanks for that everybody. It is hard to not complain, but you know aint nobody listening to that! And I dont blame them. Yall are some good folks.
    Last edited by Taylorkilla; August 31st, 2017 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Im dumb.
    daman1 and yahoo like this.

Years of Experience

This must be an area thing. I see the USIC techs in this area leave the trucks running. Ive heard them bring it up in the past but Im guessing the boss doesnt keep up on it on a daily basis.

Years of Experience

when money is being made ....meaning decent productivity and hardly no damages ...nothing else matters to most bosses.
    daman1 likes this.

Years of Experience

Default USIC Idle Time

Quote Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylorkilla View Post
    I am constantly in trouble for having a higher than average idle time.
    I'd rather get bitched at from time to time than have a heat stroke or frost bite.
    the bosses do not get any bone-us money for helping with idle time they are just trying mostly to put on a good show for their bosses.
    This must be an area thing. I see the USIC techs in this area leave the trucks running. I've heard them bring it up in the past but I'm guessing the boss doesn't keep up on it on a daily basis.
    Greetings 'Viners! Idle time data is a new tool/toy for my middle management. As soon as the new is worn off there will be hopefully less focus on idle time. But, with 7,500 locators nationwide assigned company trucks with yahoo's & my employer (USIC), idle time becomes a huge line-item expense if not kept in check.

20% idle time has been the threshold during the brutal heat of summer and idle time not so much a focus during the bitter cold days of winter. Keeping the cans of paint flowing during winter requires more idle time within reason. 100% idle time during winter is rare, but I'm sure it happens if it gets cold enough.

With weather being pleasant this time of year, there will be more scrutiny (micro-management) on idle times by those who sit inside offices with year-around comfortable temperature settings......................... just sayin.'

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Idle time monitoring depends on the wonk assigned to monitor it and is often assigned to a numbers cruncher who has little to no understanding of what is needed in the field.
    The wonk will with a computer automatically generate a violations list.

After first opening they ha d contracts in Texas. To sve money they took the air conditioners out of the trucks. Production fell, Texas in summer, and then they found their laptops were overheating, shutting down and failing. They seem to have learned a few lessons,
    Wingfoot likes this.

Years of Experience

I turn my car on in the morning, and it don't stop till I do...