Thread: Usic gps

Default Usic gps

Just curious about something. Does USIC supervisors have GPS in their trucks? I get calls about idling for more than a few minutes, but It's common knowledge that our supervisor idles under a tree for long periods of time. I understand that a sups truck is his office, but do they play by the same rules as locators?

Default Re: Usic gps

In my district they 100% do not have gps. Idle as long as you want. If someone says anything to you tell them your truck is your office, if they want you to turn your truck off and sit in the heat then they need to turn their ac off in there office as well.

Park your truck in the grass where it wont roll and keep it in neutral..

use neutral and the parking brake!

Usic management tards need dog and pony tricks because they are too stupid to figure out who is or isnt locating properly.

Locating both sides of the road, so the chicken can bore underneath it...
    Years of Experience
    too many

Leaving the truck in neutral will do nothing. The so called GPS that USIC uses is tied into the ignition switch on the truck. If your ignition key is in the ON position (the first click forward form OFF) the GPS see the trucks as running. Its not even a real GPS anyways, since there is no antenna looking towards the sky. It is a stripped down cell phone that uses the cell towers to gets its location info.

You can bet the sups don't have them. The locators are the dogs, if they aren't then they are at least treated like dogs. If you are working in the heat and get overheated, get in the truck and run teh A/C for a while. If they bitch then, next time you get too hot, don't go to the truck, just sit outside and call EMS to come and take you to the hospital and then call your sup. If he asks why, tell him you were scared to run the truck because you might get into trouble for idling and youy got too ho, have heat stress/heat exhaustion and need to go to the hospital...they don't want that.

I agree about the office statement earlier in the topic. The fat lazy members of upper management (whose salaries we pay for) get to sit in the A/C on the phone in their offices, so why can't we do the same...thats right, we're labor and nothing more....
    "No, installing your fence is NOT an emergency"...

- or -

"It's call BEFORE you dig, not AFTER you've hit something."

Yes, my avatar does describe my attitude towards many others...

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

In general the vehicle is the supervisors office and they will get more leeway on idling.

At our firm it is understood that the supervisors vehicle may need to idle more but there is no unlimited idling. That truck idles for too many hours a day that supervisor will be told to cut that time down, has happened.

So If a customer saw a dog in a druck sitting there with no A/C running, they would call the cops. But, we"re supposed to sit a 100 degree heat truck and fill out paper work??? WHATEVER !!!!
    Fa Fa Fooo HI !!!
    Last edited by UNIONLOCATOR; May 31st, 2012 at 10:37 PM.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by UNIONLOCATOR View Post
    So If a customer saw a dog in a druck sitting there with no A/C running, they would call the cops. But, we"re supposed to sit a 100 degree heat truck and fill out paper work??? WHATEVER !!!!
    Fa Fa Fooo HI !!!
    Since we have to keep the windows rolled up and the doors locked to keep the laptops from being carried off the cab temperatures quickly climb over 120 degrees. I have returned to measured cab temperatures of 120 to 135 degrees. Just opening the windows is not enough as all that sheet metal radiates heat keeping the cab like an oven.

I find these temperatures kill the computer before it will kill us.

Each time the door is opened and the vehicle driven new air enters the cab. The air heats up as does the computer. When the vehicle begins to move again with the AC on the air cools and the humidity becomes a factor. The water in the now cooler air condenses inside the laptop and corrodes the inside of the machine. Since we go to so many construction sites very fine dust collects inside the car and this dust infiltrates into the computer. As the water condenses out of the air this dust turns to mud inside the computer and does not evaporate out easily. This keeps moisture inside the computer longer and adds to corrosion.

The more heating and cooling cycles the greater the damage to the computer.

An employee, in our case a locator, in an extremely hot working environment they has to slow down or physically collapse. So production drops far below and perceived ideas of saving money.

The AC in our vehicles makes money for the company by increasing production.

Still that does not mean run the car all day without turning off the engine. Just idle when you need to and don't look for excuses to just keep it running. Anytime you are out of sight of the vehicle it should be turned off and the key in your pocket. Anytime you are on a long locate it should be turned off. Keep to a minimum the number of heating and cooling cycles.

Years of Experience

I will leave my truck running any time I need to. I told my supe if he can't trust me to do my ****ing job the right way then I might as well move on to something else. I have never had a call about idle times but I also don't abuse it. When I was hired with Cus the guy that I did my ride along with left his car running all day long. There was one job we were at that was an apartment complex with 30 some buildings and elec and phone at each building. It took several hours as you can imagine. His car ran the entire time. I thought what a waste.

When I was with On Target in Ct. we HAD to leave the truck running all day, part of it may have been the fact that the trucks were so trashed they may not have started again. I must have been in 7 or 8 trucks while I worked for them. lost quite a few days waiting for tow trucks too. The first thing my mentor asked me was how was I at waiting? I said what? and he said you'll be doing that alot waiting for tow trucks, and you know he was right.

Years of Experience
    too many

Not to bust anybodys Bubble BUT the sups in n texas do have gps in there trucks as well I have put in a unit or 2 on a sups truck. they just give themselves garbage its up to the DM to police the sups.

Problem is the DM's in Florida are backstabbing liars. So the gps is a tool for the baboons to play with.

Years of Experience

I would say it is fair to turn the truck off for longgggg periods away from the truck but those (in and out) jobs...don't think so. Surely that will keep everyone happy.....?
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato