Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: USIC employees How is morale in your work group?

Default Re: USIC employees How is morale in your work group?

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    One of our groups had a guy give a 2 day notice week b/4 last and another gave a 2 hr notice last week. Sup sent out an e-mail basically saying this was dispespectful and wrong to the co. and the remaining employees. WTF? We are told that if we quit we are nor re-hireable no matter what, and when was the last time USIC actually replaced a locator within 2 weeks?
    Then, to top off the week, we found out that someone in corporate sent down an e-mail to our local mgmt to advise everyone to try to park in the shade and crack the window. Also, upon returning to your truck, to immediately turn it on and cool it down. But, one of our DM's evidently decided that keeping the idle time down is more important than preserving our equipment our our locators.

There is a saying about someone doing the wrong thing might be stupid, but to keep doing the wrong thing over and over, while getting the same results, is just plain crazy!

Yea no matter what you do in this company, you're ****ing up in someone's eyes. I say screw them....I'll do both at the same time, leave my truck running and have no idle time. Kinda interesting what a hidden power switch on the GPS can do for your idle time.
    Safety First Or It's The Hearse.

Years of Experience
    15+

you don't want to touch that stupid gps what i heard from one of my friends from your comp thats grounds for termination

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    The managers above foreman [a.k.a. 2nd lines] also need extensive field experience. They need this so the rules and procedures they develop and implement do so with the least negative impact on productivity and employee retention.

Unfortunately in our our industry two ideas have become prevalent. One is they can stick a piece of locating equipment in anybody's hand and that makes them a locator. Two is a manger needs management experience or college education more than they need real field experience.
    One of our groups had a guy give a 2 day notice and another gave a 2 hr notice last week. Sup sent out an e-mail saying this was dispespectful and wrong to the co. and to the remaining employees. WTF? We are told that if we quit we are not re-hireable no matter what. When was the last time USIC actually replaced a locator within 2 weeks?

One of our DM's evidently decided that keeping the idle time down is more important than preserving our equipment or our locators!
    A while back, a 20 year SM&P locator east of the Mississippi River drove thru one of his ongoing projects to have the onsite foreman flag him down. The foreman asked the senior locator to mark a certain distance and the vet did as instructed. At the end of the extra paint, the contractor jumped to the other side of the road and cut an unmarked, high-profile gas main. There was no meet sheet...... The 20 year vet was told his DM said, "One more at-fault and he's gone."

Realizing his 2nd line has zero respect for any of his locators, knowing locators are just one ticket away from the next hit, tired of all the bullshit, knowing it's not good to be looking for a job while on unemployment, the vet took his DM at his word, beat him to the punch and found a new job before the next at-fault cut. The vet gave his DM the same respect he received from his DM and quit SM&P without notice.

One of the Baker boys (SM&P was started by Steve, Mike & Pat Baker) learned of the loss of a 20 year vet and asked the DM, "Why did he quit?"

The DM replied, "The S.O.B. found another job."

Mr. Baker knew there was more to it than what the DM was willing to share. Baker called the vet and got the real story.

Then Baker told the DM he was clueless on what just walked out his door. That 20 year locator quitting just cost that 2nd line at least an additional $60,000 in finding a replacement (said he'd go thru 3 with lots of overtime before he'd find one to stick) and the extra damages resulting in the replacements learning an area that the 20 year vet knew like the back of his hand.

Wingfoot wouldn't be surprised if that DM is still with SM&P, maybe he's even higher up the food chain, still having the same attitude and respect for the locators as he showed to that 20 year vet.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience
    retired

Wing that's a great story. Dead-nuts correct too. I'm not that guy... but similar situation happened to me on my first stint @ SM&P.

Just because you get made a DM doesn't exempt you from earning "jackass" status!

And my troublesome DM... well, karma's a bitch ain't it~!!! (Him and his prodigy jackass who was my former supervisor, just for good measure. Proof that God is watching!)
    "Aye, verily hath I spoken." - Thor, god of thunder

Quote Originally Posted by animal View Post
    you don't want to touch that stupid gps what i heard from one of my friends from your comp thats grounds for termination
    Yep you sure are right.....it sure is grounds for termination, but they're going to have to prove it first. Good luck doing that. Damn thing can't even register idle time correctly.

Don't kid yourself. Most GPS units installed for vehicle tracking are sealed self contained units and only use the vehicles 12 v power supply to recharge the internal battery. I'm sure the manufacturer and engineers who designed the "big brother" devices had many corporate meeting addressing tampering.

Not these units....they bought the bottom shelf gps. Think I know what I am talking about considering my detailed experience with computers and electronics while I was in the military. USIC did not purchase the battery operated gps units, nor the gps units with battery backup.

Here is a novel idea! Just wire in a toggle switch that cuts power to unit when you flip switch. Pull up to locate, turn off truck. Then flip toggle. Turn truck back on! No idle time. You would just have to turn off truck again and flip toggle before turning truck back on. Of course who would remember that every time?

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Reece View Post
    Here is a novel idea! Just wire in a toggle switch that cuts power to unit when you flip switch. Pull up to locate, turn off truck. Then flip toggle. Turn truck back on! No idle time. You would just have to turn off truck again and flip toggle before turning truck back on. Of course who would remember that every time?
    But the modified toggle switch can be found and they will once the computer spits out a report showing the periodic loss of the gps signal.
    Some gps units have a memory feature and if they can not upload their date store it until they can so the power interruption may be reported.

This just keeps getting worse. There is talk that they will one day wire this into the vehicles computer, the forerunner of this is called the Smart truck, so every switch you use will be recorded. If the gps shows you making a turn and the computer does not show you using your turn signal you get a report. Who uses their turn signal on the dirt roads of a construction site?

I thougt that these gps unit already connected into the OBD of the vehicle? That was my understanding of how they operate.

Quote Originally Posted by Paint'n & Flag'n View Post
    I thougt that these gps unit already connected into the OBD of the vehicle? That was my understanding of how they operate.
    Nope. They sure don't. My crew was the pilot crew for the USIC GPS. I had to install my own cause Lupe wasn't for sure how to do it at first. Wired in just like a radio. Is a standalone system that has no connections at all to the OBD computer.

That does open it up quite easily for someone to put an on/off switch to keep it from syncing with the sats. But someone could just as easy put the emergency brake on and leave it in the Drive position to dodge the idle the time. Down side to that is if you forget to mash that emergency brake.

Quote Originally Posted by Paint'n & Flag'n View Post
    That does open it up quite easily for someone to put an on/off switch to keep it from syncing with the sats. But someone could just as easy put the emergency brake on and leave it in the Drive position to dodge the idle the time. Down side to that is if you forget to mash that emergency brake.
    Nope, that doesn't work either. We were told that the GPS reads the position of the key and that's why you can't put it on accessory. In fact, after you turn off the key you have to open the door also.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

which part doesnt work...the on/off switch or leaving in drive position. The on/off position would work cause if you cut off the source of power then the system will not detect anything. No juice it will not work.

Leaving it in the drive position should prevent reading idle time cause it only starts calculating idle time when the truck is taking out of the drive position. Yes the gps tracking will not show you moving but the idle time shouldnt be counted...should be no different than sitting at a stop light.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456